Would you enjoy 310 days of sunshine – perfect for outdoor activities, including biking, skiing and playing on some of the country’s best golf courses? Albuquerque is the hot air ballooning capitol of the world and has also been named one of the nation’s friendliest cities. Nestled in the heart of Albuquerque is The University of New Mexico, the state’s flagship university. UNM is home to 12 outstanding Colleges and Schools which offer over 215 degree and certificate programs. The University has nearly 170,000 alumni worldwide.
Join a dynamic team of development professionals working to advance the mission of the University of New Mexico. The UNM Foundation seeks nominations and applications for three Director of Development positions:
• Director of Development, UNM School of Medicine, UNM College of Population Health and the Health Sciences Library and Informatics Center (HSLIC).
• Director of Development, College of Nursing
The successful applicant will serve as a fundraiser and manager for a large University operating unit. Design, implement, evaluate, and refine the unit’s private-sector fund raising activities with an emphasis on major gifts as defined by UNM Foundation standards. Identify and cultivate prospects and solicit major gifts as defined by UNM Foundation measures. Manage and direct staff reporting to unit. Manage all aspects of assigned project campaigns, oversee, and supervise volunteer fundraising activities Provides leadership, direction, and training to faculty, volunteers, and others in support of the unit’s fundraising goals and objectives. Collaborate with colleagues in the UNM Foundation to maximize total gift revenue including but not limited to planned gift, corporate and foundation relations, annual fund strategies, and donor relations.
• Identifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards major donors and prospects including individuals, corporations, and foundations, through visits and other forms of direct personal contact in accordance with performance targets set by the UNM Foundation and at levels defined by the Foundation.
• Establishes effective working relationship with corresponding Dean, Director, or leader of university unit for fundraising matters.
• Responsible for obtaining gifts as defined by UNM Foundation.
• Enlists senior management in furthering the unit’s fund raising program; provides effective staffing and educates and supports
management with respect to their Foundation leadership roles.
• Recruits, engages, and manages volunteers and provides them with leadership and direction in support of the cultivation and
solicitation of major donors and prospects; coordinates volunteers’ activities to ensure their integration into the unit’s
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the UNM Foundation and colleagues to maximize the unit’s
total gift revenue.
• Coordinates unit-based fund raising strategies and activities to ensure their integration into the University’s overall
• Makes effective use of the prospect management database and other institutional resources to ensure appropriate management
of donors, prospects, alumni, and volunteers in coordination with overall objectives.
• Conducts research to identify prospects and creates strategies to match prospects’ interests to the priorities of the unit and the
• Researches, writes, edits, or oversees the preparation of persuasive, accurate, and solicitations, proposals, case statements,
reports, correspondence, and other communication materials in support of the unit’s fund-raising activities.
• Assists in short- and long-range strategic planning activities to create and implement fund-raising goals and objectives.
• Supervises and coordinates the work of staff employees in day-to-day functional activities, as appropriate.
• Develops and manages budgets for fundraising activities.
• May represent the unit at business and community meetings.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
• Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution required
• Five (5) or more years related experience in development/fundraising
• Experience in higher education or other non-profit organization
• Proven ability to close large private gifts.
Must be able to drive personal vehicle for University and Foundation business (mileage reimbursed) and hold a valid driver’s license with current insurance, and a clean driving record. Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of criminal, driving record, and employment background screening. Some positions may also require credit background screening as well.
How To Apply
Please visit our website at www.unmfund.org/careers for application. Cover letter and resume requested.
The UNM Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. We are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce and are dedicated to the goal of building an inclusive and pluralistic staff.