About the Foundation
The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation supports creative people, effective institutions, and influential networks building a more just, verdant, and peaceful world. MacArthur is placing a few big bets that truly significant progress is possible on some of the world’s most pressing social challenges, including over-incarceration, global climate change, nuclear risk, and significantly increasing financial capital for the social sector. In addition to the MacArthur Fellows Program, the Foundation continues its historic commitments to the role of journalism in a responsible and responsive democracy, as well as the strength and vitality of our headquarters city, Chicago.
MacArthur is one of the nation’s largest independent foundations. Organizations supported by the Foundation work in about 50 countries. In addition to Chicago, MacArthur has offices in India, Mexico, and Nigeria. To learn more about the Foundation please visit www.macfound.org.
The Communications team seeks to enhance the impact of MacArthur’s grantmaking by drawing attention to, and sharing information about, the fields in which the Foundation is engaged by spotlighting grantees and ensuring transparency about grantmaking and operations. The team achieves these objectives through media relations, social media, web content, real world and digital events, printed publications, and support and training for MacArthur staff and grantees.
The Communications Associate provides writing, research, and organizational support to the Foundation’s Communications team, primarily to its Communications Officers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Write short summaries of grantee research and reports and other program content for the Foundation’s website
· Research and write longer stories and blog posts about the work of grantees
· Draft daily posts for social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
· Manage and grow the Foundation’s photo/video archive, to create a well-organized system of more than 35,000 existing assets
· Conduct daily media monitoring, share coverage internally and post key media clips to the Foundation’s website
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
· Compile and edit weekly media clips for staff and Board, as well as monthly updates for the Board
· Research, develop, and maintain press lists for Foundation announcements
· Conduct short-term research projects for the Communications team
· Prepare PowerPoint slides and other materials for team presentations
· Proofread written materials carefully
· Perform other duties as assigned
· A bachelor’s degree plus 2 to 4 years of relevant, professional work experience
· Demonstrated interest and experience in nonprofit communications, public relations, journalism, and/or new media preferred
· Excellent writing skills including experience writing for the Web
· Well-developed organizational skills and attention to detail
· Able to manage multiple tasks and projects under tight deadlines
· Able to take initiative and work proactively
· Experience with social media and/or production of multimedia content and/or working with databases is a plus
· Positive, “can-do” attitude and a willingness to do what is necessary to get the job done
· Trustworthy and respectful, committed to excellence, with a collaborative workstyle
How To Apply
Candidates must apply online at www.macfound.org/jobs. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and two (2) writing samples relevant to this position.