ABOUT ROSE COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
Rose Community Foundation strives to advance inclusive, engaged and equitable Greater Denver communities through values-driven philanthropy. The Foundation envisions a thriving region strengthened by its diversity and generosity, and it utilizes the varied tools at its disposal – grantmaking, advocacy and philanthropic services – to advance this aspiration.
Since its founding in 1995, Rose Community Foundation has granted more than $336 million to nearly 2,000 nonprofit organizations and initiatives in the seven-county Greater Denver area. The Foundation has $365 million in total assets under management, with annual grantmaking and distributions of nearly $20 million – roughly $10 million of which are the Foundation’s annual discretionary grantmaking dollars. Since 1995, the Foundation’s donor-advised funds have granted nearly $50 million to nonprofit organizations of their choosing around the state, country and world.
The Director of Fund Development is a member of the Philanthropic Services team, which is focused on growing resources for regional good, stewarding and supporting the Foundation’s roughly 200 donor-advised and nonprofit fund-holders, and creating and sustaining philanthropic partnerships, collaborations and giving circles.
Job Title: Director of Fund Development
Reports to: Director of Donor Funds and Legacy Giving
Department: Philanthropic Services
Average hours per week: 40
FSLA Status: Exempt
Rose Community Foundation seeks a Director of Fund Development to create new relationships for Rose Community Foundation with prospective donors, donor-advised fundholders, nonprofit fundholders, and other philanthropic partners. With equal passions for people and philanthropy, the Director of Fund Development is a connection-maker with an emphasis on engaging new, diverse communities in philanthropy and the development of charitable resources.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a mission- and values-driven, fast-paced, and multi-faceted work environment. We seek a colleague who is a highly collaborative team-player and an entrepreneurial self-starter. A natural connector and networker who enjoys bringing people together and facilitating introductions, they should have a high degree of emotional intelligence and excellent interpersonal, relational and listening skills, paired with an innate curiosity about people. We seek a candidate who is an outstanding listener and communicator with strong presentation skills and the ability to connect, engage, motivate and inspire others.
Across our team, we value humor, humility and self-awareness, empathy, and strong personal and professional integrity and ethics. Rose Community Foundation is an evolving organization with an orientation towards growth and learning, so we look for team members who demonstrate flexibility and a growth mindset. The Director of Fund Development will contribute to a positive work environment, finding personal and professional alignment with the Foundation’s mission to advance inclusive, engaged and equitable Greater Denver communities and consistently demonstrating the Foundation’s culture and values of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, empathy, generosity, community, and transformation through collaboration.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Grow resources for regional good through the development and management of a pipeline of prospective donors and fundholders, identifying and qualifying prospects, researching and sharing key information
· Initiate relationships and build leads with diverse prospective donor and fundholder communities in the Greater Denver region, and facilitate introductions and hand-offs to team members for further engagement when appropriate
· Serve as the primary Foundation liaison to the professional advisor community (estate planning attorneys, accountants, wealth managers, etc.) and financial institutions, creating opportunities for them to connect with and learn about Rose Community Foundation, facilitate client referrals, and positioning the Foundation as a trusted partner in philanthropy
· Identify and secure opportunities for Foundation staff and leadership to meet with and present to new potential donors and fundholders about Rose Community Foundation and its work
· In collaboration with members of the philanthropic services team, identify and pursue new philanthropic opportunities with alumni of Foundation initiatives and committees
· Lead the development and implementation of a relationship management tracking approach for current donors and new prospects from identification and initial cultivation through their lifecycle as a Foundation donor. Work with the philanthropic services team to ensure adoption and effective utilization of the system
· In collaboration with the philanthropic services and communications teams, develop strategies for annual and campaign fundraising to increase aligned funding
· Strategically manage philanthropic services department’s sponsorships and memberships in professional networks as a source of new business and relationships
· Represent the Foundation at events and meetings, some of which may take place outside of normal business hours, in the evening or on weekends
The Director of Fund Development reports to the Director of Donor Funds and Legacy Giving. The Director of Fund Development does not have administrative support or direct reports.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Bachelor’s degree and 7-10 years of relevant professional experience; or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
· Successful experience in major gifts fundraising, sales or similar outreach and engagement activities
· Highly organized with strong project management skills including the ability to effectively design, plan, carry out, engage others, and communicate new work
· Outstanding verbal, written, and presentation communication skills including attention to detail and proactive follow-through
· Experience in or aptitude for the development and utilization of prospecting and moves-management strategies and systems
· Commitment to and experienced in providing exceptional customer service
· Highly proficient user of technology including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office
· Lived experiences and/or personal understanding and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and a commitment to incorporating them into internal and external work
· Proven track record of working effectively across different settings, communities and issues – with people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives and cultures
· Commitment to the Foundation’s core values and culture
· Understanding of the unique role of community foundations and familiarity with Greater Denver communities and non-profits
· Knowledge of the professional advisor and/or financial services sectors
· Understanding of fund types and charitable giving vehicles, gift planning tools and gifts of complex assets
· Experience designing or implementing moves-management systems and developing and implementing fundraising campaigns
· Experience with philanthropic operations, administration and prospect research software
· Experience with data analysis and data-driven planning
· Bilingual/fluency in Spanish is a plus
SALARY & BENEFITS
This full-time, exempt position’s hiring range is $70,000 to $95,000. Offered salary is commensurate with internal equity, internal salary ranges, sector benchmarks, and candidate’s relevant qualifications, experience and skills. Rose Community Foundation offers a competitive benefits package including employer-supported health, dental, vision, and life insurance; short- and long-term disability coverage, a 403(b)-retirement plan (including an annual employer contribution after one year of employment), flexible spending account, employee assistance program (EAP), generous paid time off including holidays, professional development opportunities and a matching gift program.
Brand-new office with a collaborative environment located in a building with a café, gym, secure indoor bike parking, covered employee parking and convenient access to parks and trails. As a health and safety precaution due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Rose Community Foundation’s physical office was closed until June 2021 at which time we returned to full-time in-person work at the office. With the recent increase in Delta variant cases, we have expanded remote work options and flexibility for all staff and expect it will remain as such when this position is filled. That said, we plan to eventually return to full-time, in-office and in-community work. Please note that the Foundation expects all team members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Rose Community Foundation believes in the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). The Foundation is committed to equal employment opportunities and prohibits the unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
How To Apply
Please submit your application, including a resume and cover letter, here. Please upload your cover letter under “Other Documents.” No phone calls or additional email messages please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the posting will remain open until the position is filled.