POSITION PROFILE: EVENTS COORDINATOR- MARGARET A. CARGILL PHILANTHROPIES
kpCompanies are leading the search for the next Events Coordinator for Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies. This candidate will partner with the Administrative Support team members and other MACP colleagues to support planning and implementing select internal and external events, including convenings, networking meetings, Board meetings, all employee meals, Culture Club activities, retirement celebrations, and other Foundation-sponsored events.
THE ORGANIZATION: MARGARET A. CARGILL PHILANTHROPIES
Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies (MACP) is the umbrella over the grantmaking foundations created by the late Margaret Cargill: Margaret A. Cargill Foundation and Anne Ray Foundation. MACP provides meaningful support through long-term relationships with strategic grantee partners across seven program domains: Environment, Disaster Relief & Recovery, Arts & Cultures, Teachers, Animal Welfare, Quality of Life, and Legacy & Opportunity. The collective assets of MACP place it among the 10 largest philanthropies in the United States.
The two foundations have separate boards and investment portfolios but share a mission of providing meaningful assistance and support to society, the arts, and the environment.
- Margaret A. Cargill Foundation is a private foundation that came into existence upon Ms. Cargill’s death in August 2006. At year-end 2021, MACP’s assets are approximately $3.7 billion.
- Anne Ray Foundation is a supporting organization that may make grants only to beneficiary organizations specifically named by Ms. Cargill. At year-end 2021, ARF’s assets are approximately $5.3 billion.
- In December 2021, we formally adopted a DEIJ Vision Statement to guide our work; view it online here.
To learn more, please visit MACP’s Philosophy of Grantmaking.
ed under law. MACP is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with the Administrative Support team, Culture Club teams, and other stakeholders to identify expectations and assistance needs for events.
- Provide event planning and logistics support which includes identifying and coordinating vendors, meal planning and ordering, drafting and sending communications, monitoring calendars and budgets, space planning, and decor ideas.
- Manage and maintain foundation-wide event calendar and annual organization-wide meal calendar. Anticipate upcoming events and take a proactive role in advance planning.
- Work with vendors and Office & Facilities to coordinate event logistics, including vendor load-in and badging, signage, room set-up, decorations, special requests, etc.
- Provide feedback and periodic reports to stakeholders, keeping them apprised of progress, issues encountered, and proposed solutions.
- Assist with execution of the event, including room set up, material preparation, food and beverage support, on-site monitoring, and tear down/clean up.
- Proactively handle issues and troubleshoot any emerging problems on the event day.
- Propose new ideas and create documentation to improve the event planning and execution process.
- Conduct post-event evaluations to determine how future events could be improved. Coordinate the capture of event learning.
- Maintain records of event aspects, including menu evaluation, cost information, vendor service level, presentation, and guest feedback.
- Conduct site visits to evaluate possible meeting or event locations as needed. Research and prepare site cost comparisons and select locations and facilities, taking goals, objectives, and budget of the event into account.
- Lead Culture Club at MACP in partnership with the Manager, Human Resource Operations, including annual project planning and material creation for relevant communications.
- Co-lead steering team, including scheduling meetings, setting agendas, developing materials, and following up on action items.
- Provide day-to-day support to leads and team members with a lens toward providing inclusive activities for staff.
- Manage the Culture Club calendar with a focus on the cadence of activities.
- Create and maintain planning resources for teams.
- Serve in the lead role for the annual picnic and smorgasbord events, partnering with teams appropriately.
- Support an annual day of service planning as needed.
- Develop relationships with external vendors with a focus on establishing key partnerships.
- Negotiate contracts as necessary in collaboration with our Legal department.
- Provide constructive feedback to vendors to foster high-quality service and greater efficiencies.
- Review invoices for accuracy and appropriate charges, follow up on potential inaccuracies, and submit for payment.
- Identify new vendors that fit within organization goals with a focus on minority or women-owned, eco-friendly, and local businesses.
- Provide staff augmentation for the Administrative Support team during staff absence or heavy workload as directed.
- Oversee and manage the daily catering procedures for internal meetings in collaboration with the Administrative Support team.
- Work closely and effectively with the direct manager to inform them of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately.
- Prioritize conflicting needs, handle matters expeditiously, and proactively, and follow through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Enhance organization and department effectiveness, efficiency, and empowerment by identifying and owning steps to improve and streamline processes.
- Participate collaboratively in teams and projects to develop, implement, and maintain organizational processes, tools, and documentation, as assigned.
- Provide training and resources to internal teams and respond to event-related inquiries as appropriate.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
Outstanding candidates for the Events Coordinator position will offer many of the qualities, skills, and characteristics listed here. We know that no candidate is likely to have every one of these qualities, so we encourage interest and applications from people who can grow into the responsibilities listed and bring transferable skills.
- 3+ years’ experience with different aspects of event planning, including logistics, catering, and visual presentation.
- Experience in the non-profit sector or familiarity with philanthropy is preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook; an openness to new technologies; prefer experience with SharePoint and Concur.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively and build relationships with a broad group of stakeholders, including colleagues, vendors, external partners, and others.
- Organizational skills that reflect the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrated positive and proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Adaptable to various competing demands and demonstrate a high level of customer service and response.
- Possess creative thinking with the ability to develop ideas into executable plans.
- Possess technical knowledge to set up presentations and operate Audio Visual systems.
- Demonstrated high commitment to intercultural understanding and sensitivity.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to addressing racism and other societal inequities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Interest in and ability to continuously improve processes.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with integrity.
- Highly resourceful team player, with the ability to also be effective independently.
- High School degree or equivalent required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Minimal, as required to support event coordination and other duties.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work environment is an office setting with a designated workspace at the Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies office in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, and optional remote work up to 2 days per week.
- This position requires regular use of a computer to complete work responsibilities. It also includes regularly working with other office equipment and communication technology, such as videoconferencing, telephone, copy machine, and printer.
- The person in this position needs to move around the building and stand to execute event tasks; the ability to lift, move and retrieve objects up to 25 pounds and bend, stoop, crouch, and reach to perform work functions.
- This role also frequently performs multiple tasks simultaneously and works closely with others as a team.
- Set up events early in the morning and/or stay late for an evening event, sometimes resulting in longer days and/or overtime.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
MACP has identified a salary range of $58,000- $65,000 for this role. The actual starting salary of the candidate will be commensurate with years, breadth, and depth of relevant experience, education, certifications, credentials, special skills, accomplishments, and other factors relevant to the position. MACP benefits are generous, please see total rewards at https://www.macphilanthropies.org/careers/
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AND ACCESSIBILITY
We know that engaging, building trust, and making a difference rely on the collective wisdom and strength of a truly diverse organization. With this in mind, we strongly welcome the interest of people who bring various lived experiences, including people of color, all gender identities, people from the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, and others who are excited to contribute their skills to our work. Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer, and we consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as establish
HOW TO APPLY
MACP has partnered with kpCompanies in this search. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations (COMBINE DOCUMENTS INTO 1 UPLOAD) no later than 9:00 pm on Saturday, May 13th, 2023. All submissions are received in the strictest confidence.
You can apply by submitting your application online here: https://evoportalus.tracker-rms.com/kpCompanies/MyLite?id=1093