Planned Parenthood Federation of America | Planned Parenthood Action Fund
Vice President, Principal and Major Gifts
Flexible, with preference for New York City or San Francisco
For more than a century, Planned Parenthood has been one of the nation’s leading providers of high quality, affordable health care for people in the U.S. and the largest educator of sexual health in the nation. Planned Parenthood believes in the fundamental right of people throughout the world to manage their reproductive health, regardless of income, marital status, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, or residence. Respect, inclusion, and diversity in all aspects of the organization are essential to delivering on the commitment of Care No Matter What.
Planned Parenthood comprises 49 independent affiliate member organizations, operating under the Planned Parenthood brand with a presence in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) serves as the national office of Planned Parenthood and provides support for Planned Parenthood affiliates across the country in the delivery of care. The affiliates operate over 600 health centers that provide care for over 2 million people annually. PPFA’s international arm, Planned Parenthood Global, supports the educational efforts and health care delivery of partner organizations in 12 countries across Africa and Latin America.
PPFA works to expand access to care – from pioneering research on self-injectable birth control to offering new services for transgender patients, as well as making telehealth services, including medical abortion, available to patients across the country. The organization is leveraging technology, including a relaunched website and a number of other digital properties where, every single day, more than 200,000 people on average are getting accurate, reliable sexual and reproductive health information.
The Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF), a 501(c)(4) organization, supports advocacy and electoral work to defend access to sexual and reproductive health services, including abortion care, through: educating the public about reproductive health and rights; organizing supporters to engage in their communities; public policy and advocacy work, including lobbying; and limited electoral work, as permitted by law.
Planned Parenthood Votes (PPVotes) is an independent expenditure 527 organization, or “Super PAC,” that helps advance reproductive freedom through electoral influence. Its work includes unlimited independent expenditures for or against federal candidates, and state election work, as permitted by state law.
The Fights Ahead
Although support for Planned Parenthood has never been stronger, its mission still faces hostility from lawmakers at all levels as well as harmful decisions handed down by state and federal courts.
We see what we’re up against. It is likely that the Supreme Court will overturn or decimate Roe v. Wade, and abortion could be banned in more than half of the United States. We’re facing the greatest threat to reproductive freedom in a generation.
But we know that millions of people are counting on Planned Parenthood for supportive health care and inclusive sex education — and to fight for their right to access those services. And Planned Parenthood is ready to go all in to protect patients’ access to care.
Planned Parenthood has never backed down from a fight, and it is not starting now.
The Vice President (VP), Principal and Major Gifts (PMG) leads the work of the PMG team to raise the necessary revenue to execute the strategic priorities of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF), Planned Parenthood Votes (PPVotes), and the Planned Parenthood Federal PAC (PPFedPAC). The PMG portfolio is composed of high-net-worth individual donors and families capable of making gifts of $25,000 or more with an emphasis on relationship building to grow gifts and pledges to six, seven, and eight-figure gifts. As a member of the Senior Development Leadership Team (SDLT), the VP, PMG has a deep personal commitment to, and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and uses that as a frame to lead PMG and influence the direction of the division overall.
This position interacts with internal and external leaders and must have exceptional leadership and influencing skills. The Principal and Major Gifts team includes more than 30 staff members organized among a frontline fundraising team, a political fundraising team, and an operations team. Other constituents include PMG donors and prospects; PPFA/PPAF senior leaders; Planned Parenthood affiliate CEOs and CDOs; and PPFA, PPAF, and affiliate board members.
While Planned Parenthood will consider a broad range of backgrounds, the ideal candidate will have the following qualifications/experience:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Deep personal commitment to Planned Parenthood’s mission and values. Knowledge of relevant issues regarding sexual and reproductive health services, education, and advocacy.
- Unimpeachable integrity and high ethical standards; mature judgment in handling sensitive information. Servant leader who is values-driven, committed to personal and professional development, and leads by example. Elevates institutional goals and values beyond personal gain.
- Deep understanding of the connections between power; racial, sexual, economic, and gender inequity; and the intersection with reproductive justice. Applies strategies to address how race and gender dynamics impact supervisory relationships, organizational culture, partnerships, campaigns and coalition work, and can demonstrate a history of successfully intervening in problematic dynamics and deepening a racial justice approach within an organization, team, or campaign.
- Open and transparent communication style and experience giving, taking, and implementing feedback. Demonstrated contribution toward a positive workplace culture and a feeling of welcoming and belonging for all staff.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills, with the presence, demeanor, sense of humor, and comfort level to serve as an inspiring, highly visible ambassador of Planned Parenthood.
- Extensive knowledge of individual donor fundraising, including industry standards and best practices.
- Empathetic leadership style for managing complex personnel situations and building strong relationships.
- Leading a team by prioritizing inclusivity and bringing an equity lens to decision-making.
- An emotionally intelligent, values- and results-driven leader who can positively influence staff and collaborate across departments and at all levels of the organization, and provide feedback and coaching to support the achievement of complex goals. Highly skilled communicator, both individually and in large audiences or public communications.
- Commitment to the professional development of team members.
- Strategic thinker that can translate strategy into actionable plans.
- Ability to analyze data to make effective, efficient decisions about donor strategy and process.
- Forward thinker with a track record of utilizing new methods of donor engagement and connectivity, who will be driven by innovation in developing philanthropic best practices in the current and post-COVID-19 world.
- Ability to function in a rapidly changing environment with shifting priorities.
- Commitment to integrating the principles of community-centric fundraising in order to strengthen the organization’s fundraising program.
- Ability to travel, consistent with public health guidelines.
- Successful track record of personally cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major and principal gifts from individual and institutional donors at the level of six to seven-figures and greater. Strength in prospect discovery and in building effective strategies to compel new major donor investment.
- Substantial management experience and demonstrated ability to establish, lead, and drive objectives – particularly in a highly dynamic and evolving environment – while operationalizing equity and setting an equity and justice-rooted strategy for advancement.
- Proven ability to work with multi-racial, multi-ethnic, multi-gendered, intergenerational teams and workforces. Significant experience leading a team that centers inclusivity and consensus or other participatory decision-making models. Familiarity with Black Feminist Praxis framework a plus.
- Experience fundraising for advocacy/electoral priorities and in a rapid response environment.
- Experience navigating challenging donor conversations.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with senior-level colleagues, board members, and leadership volunteers on successful development-related activities.
- Experience working in a federated/networked organization.
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. PPFA also offers voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
PPFA values a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. The organization’s goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. PPFA is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
PPFA has retained the DSG Fundraising & Advancement Practice of the Diversified Search Group to assist in this confidential search process. Inquiries, nominations, and applications (current resumes and cover letters) should be directed electronically to:
Gerard F. Cattie, Jr.
Managing Director and DSG Fundraising & Advancement Practice Leader
Diversified Search Group
The Chrysler Building, 405 Lexington Avenue, 49th Floor, New York, New York 10174
email@example.com | 212.542.2587