Schott is a BIPOC-led public fund that pools philanthropic funding and fuels racial and education justice movements.
Department – Programs and Advocacy
Reports to- Senior Vice President, Programs and Advocacy
FLSA Status- Exempt
Benefits and Compensation
Schott Foundation offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical and dental coverage, FSA/HRA benefits, vacation and paid holidays, retirement plan with employer contributions after 18-months employment, and other benefits. The starting salary is expected to be $70,000 – $77,000 annually depending on experience.
The Programs Communications Associate provides communications support to Programs and Advocacy in building the capacity and resources for the education justice movement. This includes not only technical assistance to grantees, community building, and mobilization, but also content creation and storytelling. The position is situated within the Programs and Advocacy department but will work closely with Schott’s Communications team to strategize as an integral collaborator.
Communications, Technical Assistance, and Movement Building (65%)
- Communicate regularly and build engagement with/among Schott’s Opportunity to Learn Network as well as the larger movement
- Support OTL organizations and the broader education movements in building a stronger digital organizing presence and networks and more digital activism. This includes research, weekly planning, social media posting, and managing Schott online communities
- Provide communications technical assistance support to national OTL Network partners in each region with collaboration and support of communications team
- Plan and produce events
Programs and Advocacy Content & Storytelling (20%)
- Generate programs and advocacy related content for the Schott website, bi-weekly newsletter, blogs, public presentations, and articles for sharing information about the Foundation’s programmatic achievements and activities
- Support the development of communications content for program initiatives and campaigns
- Represent the Foundation externally as directed
Communications Team Participation (10%)
- Attend weekly communications planning and strategy meetings
- Provide programs related updates to the communications calendar as needed, coordinate programs social media content in collaboration with communications team
Other Duties as Assigned (5%)
- Three to five years of experience working in the nonprofit, public, or private sector
- Excellent analytic, research, and project planning skills
- Outstanding communication (speaking and writing), interpersonal, organizational, language, and computer skills
- Significant experience and digital expertise in social media tools and strategy
- Energetic, flexible, self-starting team player with a direct, honest, and respectful approach to problem solving. Ability to foster collaboration and contribute to a strong sense of community among staff
- Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail. Ability to thrive when working under deadlines is a plus
- Appetite for and sensitivity to working with diverse communities across race, class, ethnic, political, and geographic boundaries
- Excellent listener and able to connect readily with grantees
- Passion for providing students an opportunity to learn in traditional public education systems.
- Great sense of humor
- Bachelor’s degree required
The Schott Team currently operates virtually with staff located throughout the United States. This position requires regular travel to participate in various organizational meetings, attend conferences, and otherwise participate in job-related events. The employee is also expected to travel to staff retreats and board meetings up to six times a year.
Physical Demands and Work Environment Factors
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will sit for long periods of time and may use repetitive wrist and hand motions involved in typing and computer work as well as in sorting and handling documents. The employee is regularly required to reach, with hands and arms, and engage in light work that includes moving objects up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision as the employee will have close visual contact with a computer monitor daily.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at the Schott Foundation for Public Education, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
How To Apply
Please email your resume and a substantive cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include “Communications Associate, Programs” in the subject line.
The recruitment is open until filled. The priority deadline for applications is Friday, December 9th, 2022.