Lumina Foundation is an independent, private foundation with offices in Indianapolis and Washington, D.C. that is committed to making opportunities for learning beyond high school available to all. We envision a system that is easy to navigate, delivers fair results and meets the nation’s need for talent through a broad range of postsecondary education credentials. Our goal is to prepare people for informed citizenship and for success in a global economy.
Human Network Design (HND) is the foundation’s strategic area responsible for building and expanding
Lumina’s influencer engagement capacity through strong networks and convenings. The Convenings
Manager will be integral to the HND team and our audience network engagement strategy. Working with
the Strategy Director for Partnerships and the Video and Online Events Producer, the Convenings
Manager will oversee the management, planning, and execution of all virtual, hybrid, and in-person
convenings, advancing the Foundation’s strategic initiatives. This work will include managing
relationships with venues and vendors, creating accessible registration processes, collaborating with
partners across the foundation on best practices to deliver the content and engage participants,
managing convenings logistics.
The ideal candidate will have at least five years’ experience producing small and large in-person and
virtual events with the ability to operationalize the vision of an event into a set of goals collaboratively
with strategic areas across the foundation. They will also understand how to set an atmosphere that is a
catalyst for collaboration and change – even among a diverse set of participants and stakeholders.
Applicants should be skilled at producing both in-person and virtual experiences, be proficient in established and new virtual meeting tools and venues and have a proven track record of creating high-
quality events using online registration platforms. They will have excellent project, vents, and fiscal management skills, with an emphasis on aligning events logistics with clear results-focused execution.
This is a full-time role that requires permanent residence in Indianapolis or Washington, DC, with some
regional and national travel. Lumina Foundation is partnered with Monday Morning Consultants on this
search. Please see the end of this document for directions on how to apply or share nominations.
How To Apply
Monday Morning Consultants is leading this search in partnership with Lumina Foundation. The
interview process will move very quickly so please send your resume and cover letter/writing sample in
WORD format to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Lumina Foundation provides equal employment opportunity for all, regardless of race or ethnicity,
gender or gender identity, health conditions, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, veteran
status, disability, genetic information, or other bases protected by local, state, or federal law. Lumina also
prohibits retaliation and harassment of any individual based on these characteristics.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE NEW CONVENINGS MANAGER
Convening Planning & Logistics
– Working with the Strategy Director for Partnerships and Video and Online Convening Producer, set
Lumina’s convening schedule in support of Human Network Design’s strategy.
– Possess technical understanding and demonstrated knowledge of virtual meeting platforms.
– Conduct property research for meeting sites both locally and nationally to determine suitability,
including investigating through multiple sources such as industry periodicals, the internet,
associations, national sales offices, and individual properties and vendors. Properties and vendors
include hotels, destination companies, transportation companies, and other related vendors.
– Develop and present a proposal of acceptable properties to the Strategy Director for Partnerships
– Plan and execute activities, as related to managing virtual, hybrid, and in-person meetings including pre-planning and working with the Video and Online Events Producer before, during, and after day-
of-event technology administration.
– Manage external contracts with event vendors.
– Participate and contribute to event pre- and post-event planning, sharing best practices with relevant
Lumina staff serving as content leads.
– Maintain records of events in detail including all costs associated with each meeting.
– Work closely with the Video and Online Event Producer on all audio/visual needs,
– Establish and monitor timelines and deadlines to accomplish the completion of work and projects.
– Conduct site inspections as needed and interview prospective vendors.
– Demonstrate a history of developing and managing project budgets.
– Negotiate with hotel/event property management to obtain the best services for the best cost.
– Work closely with the foundation’s general counsel to advance and coordinate the final approval of
– Pre-plan with the hotel and/or vendors regarding logistics for convening space and services, sleeping
rooms, menu selection, and activities.
– Create and manage meeting invitations, registration processes, and subsequent changes to meet
guests’ and staff expectations.
– Prepare day-of-meeting materials including, but not limited to, meeting packets, name tags, and
– Proofread all materials prior to printing and/or distribution.
– Support the set-up of in-house space in advance of meetings as determined in pre-planning.
– Assist, as necessary, with on-site day of activities to ensure a successful environment for the
convening, meeting, or event.
– Provide direction and feedback to the Video and Online Event Producer regarding support of key
convenings, meetings, and event functions.