The ABFE Black Men & Boys Learning and Action Network (ABFE BMB LAN) convened on June 1-3, 2014 in Washington, DC. In attendance were approximately 25 community stakeholders, activists, foundation leaders, and others. The conference was co-hosted and supported by the DC Children and Youth Investment Trust, The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation and the Eugene and Agnes Meyer Foundation.
Historic Tougaloo College in Jackson, Mississippi.
Investment Manager Diversity: The Hardest Taboo to Break
Panelists discuss the value of investing with minority managers and share the perspectives and experiences of foundations and consultants on connecting minority-owned firms with foundation endowments as an principle of equity and inclusion.
A perspective from ABFE Fellow Terrance Pitts’ weekend in Saint Louis/Ferguson during the national mobilization.
The ABFE Black Men & Boys Learning and Action Network (ABFE BMB LAN) convened on September 9, 2014 in Pittsburgh, PA. In attendance were approximately 50 community stakeholders, activists, foundation leaders, and others. The conference was co-hosted by The Heinz Endowments and the POISE Foundation.
Susan Taylor Batten speaks at the Institute for Black Male Achievement’s Social innovation Accelerator: Investing in Black Male Achievement.
The ABFE Black Men & Boys Learning and Action Network (ABFE BMB LAN) convened at the East Bay Community Foundation in Oakland, CA. In attendance were approximately 50 community stakeholders, activists, foundation leaders, and others.
After a surge of teen violence in the early 1990s, some social scientists predicted the future was going to be a whole lot worse. Reality proved otherwise.
Shawn Dove, Open Society Foundations
Shawn Dove of the Open Society Foundations gives the closing remarks to Forum for Black Male Achievement.
Presented by Dr. Cheryl Dorsey, Echoing Green
The Open Society Foundations presents its fellowship for Black Male Achievement.
Moderator: Susan Taylor Batten, Association of Black Foundation Executives Panelists:
- Robert Thornton, The Skillman Foundation
- Carmen A. Anderson, The Heinz Endowments
- Raymond A. Colmenar, The California Endowment
- Melanie Hartzog, NYC Young Men’s Initiative
- Maisha Simmons, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Philanthropic Support For Black Men and Boys featuring Dr. Lawrence T. McGill, Foundation Center
Dr. Lawrence McGill talks about the Foundation Center’s study “Where Do We Go from Here: Philanthropic Support for Black Men and Boys.”
Dr. John Jackson, The Schott Foundation for Public Education presents the findings of The Urgency of Now: The Schott 50 State Report on Public Education and Black Males.
Black Male Engagement Initiative from Knight Foundation featuring Trabian Shorters, Knight Foundation.
EBONY MANifest Honors for Black Male Achievement featuring
- Kierna Mayo, EBONY.com
- Alexis McGill Johnson, American Values Institute
How Young Leaders Can Help Us Win featuring
- Khalil Fuller, Black Male Achievement Fellow, NBA Math Hoops
- Tyree Dumas, DollarBoyz, Inc.
Breakout Seminar: Educating Our Black Boys to Excel.
A panel of experts discusses the the challenges and successes of educating black boys.
Roger A. Blissett, RBC Capital Markets in conversation with John W. Rogers, Jr., Ariel Investments
Rev. Dr. Harold Dean Trulear, Healing Communities, Philadelphia Leadership Foundation.
Healer & minister Harold Dean Trulear talks about the importance of empowering black males.
Michael Nutter, mayor of Philadelphia, talks about black male achievement and the role cities can play in helping black males succeed in American society.
The Leadership & Sustainability Institute featuring
- Angela Glover Blackwell, PolicyLink
- Shawn Dove, Open Society Foundations
- Andrew Wolk, Root Cause
A montage of the Black Achievement & National CARES Mentoring Movement. Diana Morris, Open Society Institute – Baltimore.
Stephen DeBerry of Bronze Investments talks about the power of impact investing and technology that has made it possible.
The Open Society Foundations’ Innovation and Impact Forum for Black Male Achievement presents Ron Crawford with the MLK Drum Major for Service Award.
- Dr. John Silvanus Wilson, Jr., White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- RECIPIENT: Ron Crawford
Philanthropist George Soros highlights a panel discussion on what winning looks like at the Open Society Foundation’s Innovation and Impact Forum for Black Male Achievement.
- George Soros, Open Society Foundations
- Geoffrey Canada, Harlem Children’s Zone and Open Society Foundations
- Dr. Robert K. Ross, The California Endowment
- Alexis McGill Johnson, American Values Institute
Paula Madison shares how to be a champion at the Open Society Foundation’s Innovation and Impact Forum for Black Male Achievement.
- Introduction by Kenneth H. Zimmerman, Open Society Foundations
- Paula Williams Madison, Madison Media Management LLC and Williams Group Holdings LLC
Mayor Michael Bloomberg kicks-off the Open Society Foundation’s Innovation and Impact Forum for Black Male Achievement.
- MC and Host: Susan L. Taylor, National CARES Mentoring Movement
- Introduction by Christopher Stone, Open Society Foundations
- Opening Remarks by Mayor Michael Bloomberg, City of New York
Performances by Akie Bermiss and Cecily Bumbray at the Open Society Foundations Innovation and Impact Forum for Black Male Achievement.