About the Levitt Foundation
The Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation is a national social impact funder that partners with nonprofits to build stronger, more connected communities through the power of free, live music. We realize our mission of building community through music through two core programs: the permanent Levitt venue program and the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards. Throughout the pandemic, permanent Levitt venues and Levitt AMP concert sites nationwide innovated to uplift, connect, and inspire their communities in new ways—from virtual concerts and online songwriting camps to drive-in and pop-up concerts, with a return to in-person live concerts this summer. This year, more than 400 free outdoor Levitt concerts will take place in 27 towns and cities across the country, bringing joy to people of all ages and backgrounds.
The Levitt Foundation is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion throughout our organization and all aspects of our work, recognizing this commitment as essential to realizing the Levitt mission. Our commitment to EDI fosters a culture where team members can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We believe in each individual’s value and encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity. To learn more about the national Levitt network and the Levitt Foundation, visit levitt.org.
Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation
Program Officer Position Announcement
Position Title: Program Officer
Reports To: Director of Programs
Location: Echo Park, Los Angeles; currently remote
Time Commitment: Full-time
Announcement Date: June 29, 2021
Applications Due: open until filled
Compensation: $7,300 – $7,900/month; commensurate with experience
The Levitt Foundation is seeking an experienced, high-performing Program Officer to oversee the Foundation’s growing national portfolio of Levitt AMP grantees, comprised of nonprofits based in small to mid-sized towns and cities. This is an exciting opportunity to join a collaborative team environment, working across the organization with Foundation staff and closely with the Programs team to expand the reach of the Foundation’s grantmaking and deepen impact in communities. The Program Officer will work with existing and prospective grantees, conduct site visits throughout the country, manage each phase of grant cycles, and identify and develop resources to support the local efforts of grantees and advance programmatic goals and outcomes.
The Program Officer will play a key role in identifying opportunities and developing strategies aligned with the Foundation’s values and mission to inform Levitt network initiatives and new grant programs. The ideal candidate will have an interest in traveling to communities across the country and strong interpersonal and analytical skills and program management experience, along with a passion for Levitt’s mission of supporting free, outdoor concerts as a means to create equitable, activated public spaces and invigorate community life.
Major Areas of Responsibilities
- Builds and maintains strong, authentic relationships with grant seekers and grantees
- Identifies and builds relationships with a range of organizations to support outreach efforts to help attract diverse applicant pools
- Performs site visits of prospective grantees to learn about their communities and assess potential match for Levitt Foundation funding
- Manages each phase of the AMP application period, including the review and award process
- Provides guidance, technical assistance and support to grant seekers throughout the application process
- Manages portfolio of AMP grantees including tracking grant deliverables, disbursements, and reporting
- Provides guidance and support to grantees, including technical assistance and regular communication, for impactful execution of funded programs
- Performs site visits of current grantees to nurture relationships and discuss feedback and ideas regarding Levitt Foundation support
- Identifies, develops and provides resources and learning opportunities for AMP grantees to effectively support their Levitt AMP Music Series and work in the field
- Evaluates grant program measures and outcomes, identifies key findings, and provides recommendations to support program impact
- Plays a role in the development, implementation, and management of new grant programs
- Collaborates with cross-departmental teams to facilitate information sharing amongst the Levitt network
- Plays a key role in the development and implementation of processes and systems to support efficiencies within the Programs department
- Ensures program-related information and resources are current on the Levitt network’s grants portal and information exchange platform
- Remains abreast of evolving practices in the fields of philanthropy, creative placemaking, arts funding, performing arts presenters, and EDI
- Represents organization at events, conferences, and other related activities
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 4-6 years of experience in effective grantmaking, program development, and/or project management
- Proven track record in successful program management
- Innovative and critical thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent writing skills with keen ability to communicate clearly
- Working knowledge of creative placemaking and driving social impact through the arts
- Passion for the Levitt Foundation’s mission and commitment to incorporating equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout the organization
- Ability to commit to and interest in traveling throughout the country for site visits and national conferences throughout the summer and fall, up to 3 times per month; duration of travel is approx. 2 to 5 days per trip
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with ability to develop productive relationships with colleagues, potential applicants, grantees, partners, and stakeholders
- Excellent project management skills with a strong ability to balance multiple, often competing, priorities, without loss of attention to detail
- Willingness to adapt as programs evolve and comfortable adjusting based on organization and grantee needs
- Strong leadership qualities with ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Self-motivated with high degree of initiative and entrepreneurial spirit
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and willingness to learn new technologies
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply, email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Levitt Foundation Program Officer” in the subject line.
The Levitt Foundation offers a dynamic work environment and competitive salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, 401(k), and other benefits. EEO/AAW employer.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, backgrounds, and life experiences, and we prioritize diversity within our team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.