The Gettys institutional advancement program was established in 2012 to build a community of donors and to cultivate support for key initiatives relevant to our donor community.
The J. Paul Getty Trust seeks an experienced development professional to serve as Director of Individual Giving. The Director will play a central role in the fast-paced Development Office at the Getty with a focus on leading and developing the Getty Patron Program.
Getty’s institutional advancement program was established in 2012 to build a community of donors and to cultivate support for key initiatives relevant to our donor community. This position will be essential to our next phase of departmental growth, serving as a combination of manager and strategic planner, as well as fundraiser and relationship-builder. Responsibilities, detailed further below, include driving continued, accelerated growth of the Getty Patron Program; developing strategies for inspiring and supporting gifts at every giving level; coaching and leading a team of direct reports; and working with colleagues to develop new giving opportunities to inspire donor support.
The incumbent must be a skilled and experienced manager and fundraiser with strong communication skills and an energetic and entrepreneurial work style.
Getty Patron Program
In 2017, Getty launched the Patron Program, its leadership-level annual giving program (gifts ranging from $1,000 – $50,000). Growing the Patron Program and solidifying its successes and best practices will be a major focus of this role. The Director will take responsibility for the successful execution of all aspects of the Program, including drafting and executing a thought-out strategic plan for growth and leading and inspiring the team for shared successes.
Essential to success in leading the Patron Program: creative thinking, ability to develop a plan to meet goals and adjust plans as needed; excellent managerial and interpersonal skills; experience in annual or patron giving programs with success in soliciting leadership gifts.
An important function of the Patron Program is as a pipeline for deeper engagement with the Getty and future leadership-level donors. This position will work with the VP and other colleagues to develop and implement strategies to identify, qualify, and engage prospective Getty donors with leadership and major giving capacity.
Front Line Fundraising
In addition to managing the Patron Program, this position will hold a personal portfolio of leadership and major capacity prospects and donors. As Getty’s fundraising program matures, the scope of this Director position will expand to include cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding higher-level leadership and major gifts ($25,000+.)
Other Responsibilities and Expectations
The Director may take ownership of one or more strategic initiatives and/or core areas of leadership or major giving outside of the Patron Program. In collaboration with colleagues, the Director will create materials to support fundraising goals.
Provide support for Vice President and other Getty leaders and volunteers by writing briefings, talking points, and follow-up letters; staff meetings with senior leaders, as needed.
Maintain a comprehensive and detailed knowledge of Getty’s infrastructure, policies, and procedures.
In partnership with the Donor Relations team, conceive of strategies to leverage special events and on- and off-campus activities to achieve the goals of the Patron Program.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 7+ years of progressive professional and managerial growth in a development office, with significant Annual Giving or Patron experience and success soliciting and closing leadership-level gifts.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Leadership experience with annual or patron giving programs, preferably in a cultural institution setting.
- Experience closing leadership-level gifts (gifts ranging between $25,000 – 50,000).
- Excellent communication skills, especially the ability to write clearly and persuasively for a range of audiences.
- Professional manner and strong interpersonal skills as a colleague, manager, and fundraiser.
- Highly accountable and able to set goals and deliver results.
- Management experience and ability to motivate and engage direct reports; able to manage up as well.
- Positive, resilient attitude with the willingness to be hands-on in a role that requires a high level of energy and flexibility.
- Maintain the utmost respect for all colleagues.
- Appreciation for and understanding of Getty’s mission and commitment to inclusivity.
- Understanding of the role of fundraising within a complex organization.
- Strong sense of ethics and respect for the confidentiality of donor information.
- This position is exempt and includes significant evening and weekend work for events and other activities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- High level of proficiency with excel spreadsheets and donor databases.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/ljDBoqIXr2jRbID2nFMNjE