The Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation exists to strengthen the social fabric of America. We’re a national social impact funder at the intersection of music, public space and community building that partners with nonprofits to build a more equitable, healthy, and thriving future for all. We realize our mission of building community through music through two core programs: the Levitt venue program and the Levitt AMP [Your City] Grant Awards. In 2023, more than 650 free outdoor Levitt concerts will take place in 42 towns and cities across America, bringing joy to more than 750,000 people of all ages and backgrounds.
The Levitt Foundation is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) throughout our organization and all aspects of our work, recognizing this commitment as essential to realizing the Levitt mission. We value having a team with a wide range of perspectives, backgrounds, experiences, and skills so our approach to grantmaking is well-rounded and the connection with our team members and the communities we support is authentic. We strive to create a positive working culture through professional development opportunities, employee recognition, and team-building events and activities. We focus on creating a working environment that promotes collaboration and fairness. Our commitment to EDI fosters a culture where team members can truly belong, contribute, and grow. We believe in the value of every individual and encourage applications from people of any age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, and any other characteristic or identity. To learn more about the national Levitt network and the Levitt Foundation, visit levitt.org.
The Director of Communications develops and implements comprehensive communications strategies to build national visibility for the Levitt Foundation and the national network of Levitt music venues and Levitt AMP concert sites. This position is responsible for a broad spectrum of the organization’s internal and external communications, including, but not limited to, media and public relations, brand management, and social media. The Director of Communications manages a variety of communications vehicles (print, web, social media, and film) to support Levitt programs and advance the vision, mission, and core values of the Levitt Foundation, creates movement messaging for the field, and develops metrics to track the effectiveness of communications initiatives and activities. This is a full-time, exempt position that reports to the Deputy Director.
- Strategize and develop overall communications efforts, campaigns, content through lines, etc., in partnership with Foundation senior leadership and the Levitt network
- Stay current on topics relevant to Levitt’s mission and core values, case for support, and position in the field: arts grantmaking, third spaces, creative placemaking, arts accessibility, designing livable communities, music, EDI, etc.
- Conceptualize and author compelling values- and mission-driven content for communications and collateral materials that tells the Levitt story through multiple lenses, including, but not limited to, brochures, eblasts, one sheets, and grantee toolkits
- Supervise Communications team consisting of 2-3 full-time staff and one part-time Communications Fellow
- Collaborate with designers on all communications vehicles, website, and collateral materials
- In partnership with Deputy Director, oversee the dynamic Levitt Foundation website and blog; write/edit engaging website and blog content, integrate multimedia and interactive content, manage ongoing updates, and ensure new and consistent information that integrates values-driven messaging and content is posted regularly
- Oversee management of Levitt AMP microsite and ensure smooth transition throughout various phases of the grant cycle
- Develop communications resources for the Levitt network
- Direct comprehensive social media strategy and multipronged online presence, including approving daily social media posts created by the Digital Communications Associate; management of recurring social campaigns and series on the Levitt national blog; develop engaging content that leads to measurable results; manage online and social media advertising
- Manage #MusicMoves hashtag campaign through eblasts, social media, and website, including selection of winners; develop and manage future campaigns
- Develop content and manage distribution of The Levitt Effect external e-newsletter and ongoing internal communications to the Levitt network
- Oversee messaging, collateral materials, and media partnerships for the Levitt National Tour, coordinating with artist management and Friends of Levitt partners to maximize promotional opportunities and audience engagement
- Develop media plans and work in partnership with Deputy Director to facilitate effective PR campaigns to support national initiatives, as measured by media placements and audience impressions
- Proactively seek media attention in partnership with Deputy Director
- Negotiate and manage media partnerships; manage media relations; write press releases and ad copy
- Develop concepts for and manage production of multimedia content, including videos created in-house and in collaboration with contracted film crew in partnership with Foundation senior leadership and the Levitt network
- Oversee and analyze metrics provided by Communications team members to assess the effectiveness of communications initiatives and activities; provide quarterly reports to Foundation senior leadership
- In partnership with Foundation senior leadership, identify and secure speaking opportunities to elevate the Foundation’s visibility; assist with developing effective presentations
- Identify and submit proposals for awards, recognitions, and honors for the Levitt Foundation and the Levitt network
- Help develop talking points and ongoing media training to organization representatives to ensure confidence and knowledge in delivering consistent messages of the Foundation, Levitt programs, and the Levitt mission and core values during interviews and at events and in the field
- Oversee management of the email database, photo library, and artist database in collaboration with Communications team members
- Oversee management of media tracking in collaboration with Communications team members
- Manage relationships with communications, public relations, and marketing agencies
- Serve as brand steward to ensure all communications efforts maintain brand integrity and consistent messaging that is values driven
- Serve as a Levitt ambassador, and at times as a spokesperson, at events on occasional nights and weekends, including but not limited to, benefits, concerts, conferences, and Levitt events
- Occasional travel to conduct grantee site visits and attend conferences pertinent to the Foundation and field (average 3-5 trips annually)
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- 8+ years of experience in a professional communications setting, ideally in-house
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including superior editing and proofreading skills, with expertise writing and shaping creative content that is lively, engaging, and relevant
- Gifted storyteller, with the ability to craft clear and engaging narratives for multiple audiences
- Ability to effectively communicate organization mission and program impact through multiple lenses, connecting themes and objectives across sectors to tell the larger story
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Excellent creative skills as displayed through previous projects
- Supervisory experience
- Working knowledge of WordPress, Keynote, PowerPoint, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Demonstrated commitment to mission-driven work in the arts, creative placemaking, arts for social impact, equitable civic revitalization, and/or a related field
- Genuine passion for music and ability to write about artists and various music genres
- Experience working in the philanthropic sector is preferred, but not required
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities
- Highly motivated individual who also excels in a collaborative setting
To apply, email your cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, including “Levitt Foundation Director of Communications” in the subject line.
The Levitt Foundation offers a dynamic work environment and competitive salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, 401(k), and other benefits. EEO/AAW employer.