The McKnight Foundation, a Minnesota-based family foundation, advances a more just, creative, and abundant future where people and planet thrive. Established in 1953, the McKnight Foundation is deeply committed to advancing climate solutions in the Midwest; building an equitable and inclusive Minnesota; and supporting the arts and culture in Minnesota, neuroscience, and international crop research.
The Application Integration Specialist is crucial in planning, coordinating, developing solutions, and implementing application integration and technology activities within our M365 ecosystem. With a primary focus on leveraging the productivity potential of M365, this role aims to optimize existing processes and facilitate the creation of new ones. As the technical leader, this position supports user adoption, provides technical expertise, and ensures a seamless end-user experience across M365 products and initiatives. The Application Integration Specialist will primarily concentrate on SharePoint Online and Teams solutions throughout McKnight, combining their deep understanding of the engineering and business aspects of the M365 platform. Additionally, they will contribute to program communications, offer guidance and direction regarding new features and products, and drive the successful implementation of M365 solutions. They will work directly with the business owners from various departments (Finance & Operations, Communications, Investments, Programs, etc.) and be the primary technical point of contact internally, engaging vendor technical support as needed. Proven communication skills, problem-solving skills, proficiency in programming languages and data structures, and knowledge of integration best practices are critical to successful performance in this role. The Application Integration Specialist reports to the Director of Information Technology.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy & Planning
- Participate in planning integration projects and corresponding strategies between departments and development teams.
- Provide integration environment technical knowledge and experience during the planning, execution, and management of integrating new applications into the existing application environment.
- Identify and resolve systems issues.
- Develop standards and processes to support and facilitate integration projects and initiatives.
- Identify common patterns and document best practices for integration.
Acquisition & Implementation
- Research and make recommendations on integration products and services in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Participate in the integration testing phase of software and applications under development to identify and remedy potential problem areas.
- Assist application software developers and engineers in developing applications that interact with the Foundation’s Application Portfolio.
- Build relationships with application software vendors deployed in the Foundation’s Application Integration environment to learn about and provide feedback on their technical integration capabilities.
- Continually develop skills in the core technologies in place in the Application Integration environment, as well as stay informed on new developments in information technology.
- Design, develop, and deploy solutions within the Foundation’s architectural principles, policies, and guidelines.
- Assist with problem determination and resolution efforts when operational issues or integration solutions arise.
- Resolve end-user issues as escalated by the Service Desk, including working with software vendors’ technical support to resolve complex problems.
- Implement audit, logging, and monitoring solutions to provide proactive operational support in the Application Integration environment.
- Assist with identifying opportunities to enhance or improve business processes via integration, or, as necessary, minimize the impact of integration on those processes.
- Develop and maintain application documentation, including, but not limited to, Configuration Guides, Application Design Guides, Frequently Asked Questions list, and Knowledge Base articles; provide consultation to the training team on associated end-user documentation.
Participate in Foundation-wide meetings and events.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings, retreats, and other Foundation-wide meetings.
- Participate in cross-functional work groups as appropriate.
- Collaborates, Communicates Effectively, Manages Complexity, Builds Networks, Being Resilient, Drives Results, Strategic Mindset, Instills Trust
Minimum Education and Experience
- Four-year college diploma or university degree in computer science or computer engineering.
- 5 years’ work experience, or a combination of equivalent experience and training.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 5 years of direct experience in enterprise-level application integration.
- Proven experience overseeing the linking of cross-functional applications between disparate business units and systems.
- Experience with business and technical requirements analysis, business process modeling/mapping, methodology development, and data mapping.
- Extensive experience with core software applications, including Microsoft 365, Microsoft SQL Server, and Windows Server.
- Must have strong hands-on experience working on SharePoint and Teams.
- Technically fluent in programming languages, including PowerShell.
- Background in implementing information management on SharePoint, Teams, and Microsoft 365.
- Direct, hands-on experience with automated integration tools, including PowerApps and Power Automate.
- Knowledge of relational database design and management techniques.
- Experience with cloud services.
- Experience selecting and configuring information protection tools and setting appropriate access controls and permissions.
- Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies.
- Knowledge of network protocols and standards, including TCP/IP, WIFI, DHCP, DNS, and WINS.
- Understanding of end-user needs and requirements.
- Excellent understanding of the Foundation’s goals and objectives.
- Excellent oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Outstanding writing and documentation skills.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Able to conduct research into application integration issues and products.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Occasional evening and weekend work to meet deadlines.
- Sitting for extended periods.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting objects such as computers, up to 25 lbs.
- Physically able to participate in sessions, presentations, and meetings in person or virtually.
- Some travel may be required for offsite software and system integration efforts.
This opportunity is a full-time, exempt position based in Minneapolis. The position’s salary range is $90,900 – $95,950.
How To Apply
Please submit your application on McKnight’s career page here.