The OrganizationThe Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in more than 60 countries, all 50 United States, and your neighborhood. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity; therefore, we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
Position OverviewTNC is looking for a creative, bold, and visionary leader to deepen its relationship with its most valuable constituents: members, donors, and trustees. The Director of Donor Engagement will grow support for TNC’s mission through the key strategic pillars of the Donor Engagement Team: travel, events, storytelling, and community empowerment. This position leads a dynamic team to increase innovative approaches to reach new audiences and deepen engagement with current, new, and potential donors in support of TNC’s mission. The Director of Donor Engagement is responsible for growing and reimagining our portfolio of experiences, and executing them with excellence, to reach new supporters and expand TNC’s reach.
This opportunity is ideal for a highly-motivated, creative, and people-oriented leader interested in joining the world’s leading conservation organization. We value collaborative approaches, diverse perspectives, and encourage innovative ideas and recommendations.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
· Broad management responsibility for donor engagement team members, including training, professional development, establishing clear directions, setting “stretch” objectives, and overseeing the execution of day-to-day work.
· Commit actions and resources in a way that affects public image and binds the organization financially or legally.
· Develop and administer budget, evaluate results and develop corrective strategies as needed.
· Ensure that programmatic commitments, TNC policies and procedures, and financial standards are met and managed for ethical compliance.
· Implement and direct multiple projects, directing work of staff, managing budget, setting deadlines, and ensuring accountability.
· Lead new programs/initiatives that will ensure department and organization-wide goals and strategies are achieved.
· Maintain confidentiality of frequently sensitive and emotionally charged information.
· Manage strategic initiatives through stakeholder collaboration to enhance performance in accordance with short and long-term objectives.
· Maximum opportunity to act independently, resolves complex issues within program area.
· May direct or participate in negotiations for complex, high profile or sensitive agreements.
· Minimize legal risk to the Conservancy and ensure legal compliance with applicable state and local regulations.
· Responsibility and accountability for meeting strategic goals and objectives.
· Travel frequently and on short notice, work long hours and weekends.
· Work environment involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain.
· Bachelor’s degree and 7 years related experience.
· Experience implementing and managing multiple projects and strategic goals.
· Experience managing and supervising a multidisciplinary team.
· Experience in planning and delivering budgetary responsibilities.
· Experience working across complex organizations.
· Experience working with cross-functional teams across multiple organizational levels.
· Experience, coursework, or other training in principles, practices, and procedures of donor engagement.
· Experience working in philanthropy, donor engagement, and/or alumni engagement.
· Effectively communicates via presentations, conversations, and documents.
· Experience managing a team in a large, complex organization and/or a geographically dispersed team.
· Expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in relevant discipline.
· Effective training skills.
· Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
· Proficiency in synthesizing materials from multiple sources into a coherent and accurate summary.
· Proficiency in working independently as well as jointly with colleagues on a team.
· Understanding of best practices in non-profit management.
How To Applyhttps://www.nature.org/en-us/connect/careers/