ABFE is a membership-based philanthropic organization that advocates for responsive and transformative investments in Black communities. Partnering with foundations, nonprofits and individuals, ABFE provides its members with professional development and technical assistance resources that further the philanthropic sector’s connection and responsiveness to issues of equality, diversity and inclusion. Established in 1971 as the Association of Black Foundation Executives, the all-volunteer organization was credited with many of philanthropy’s early gains in diversity. It since has evolved into a fully staffed, influential network. In 2013, the organization shed its descriptor and adopted the simpler ABFE (ab-fee) to better reflect its broadening membership.
The Director of Communications and Marking serves to serves to advance ABFE’s goals through (1) developing and implementing ABFE’s communication and marketing strategy, (2) distributing and marketing of all projects and campaigns, (2) fostering internal alignment on content, strategy and messaging inter departmentally, (3) supporting revenue-generation efforts, (4) advancing digital strategy and effective use of technology and (5) supporting the development of training curriculum.
Reports To: Vice President of External Affairs
Employment Status: Exempt Employee, Full-Time
Key Outside Relationships: ABFE Individual and Institutional Members, Donors, Board Members, allied organizations and individuals, clients program clients and vendors
Duties and Responsibilities:
Distribution and Marketing of all ABFE’s programs including and more
- Lead the process of refining and promoting the integrated brand.
- Develop and execute an integrated communications strategy and project plans across all online platforms (web, email, social media, press).
- Coordinate reprints of ABFE’s reports and other content (including paid reprints).
- Vet and coordinate all media interviews, and provide coordination support for public appearances and other speaking engagements.
- Provide training and prepare staff for media interviews, public appearances, meetings, and speaking engagements with messaging and presentation support (e.g., Powerpoint slide review).
- Produce collateral materials for marketing and fundraising (ex: annual report, brochure, email) in coordination with Development Director
- Support engagement of the board and advisors in marketing efforts
- Develop metrics for evaluation of ABFE’s marketing and communications efforts, improving performance, and measuring growth.
- Manage lists and list-building strategies in coordination with development, membership, and program functions.
- Develop and maintain the ABFE’s brand guide and train staff on key organizational messaging
- Review all products, support project-planning efforts, and offer recommendations for increased interdepartmental alignment, consistency on framing and messaging, and organizational branding.
- Share organizational and project-specific talking points with staff to promote alignment on how we talk about who we are and what we do.
- Notify staff when a major project is released, or when there is a notable ABFE event, and support increased integration of projects inter departmentally.
- Support the human resources and operations functions with internal communications work as needed.
Community Engagement and Growing Audience
- Leverage all products and activities past and current to engage and grow the ABFE communities with an emphasis on social media engagement, email marketing, and developing a vibrant web presence.
- Provide support for overall social media and community engagement efforts, connecting with membership and program teams.
- Develop and support interdepartmental development of timely new products for community engagement.
- Monitor news cycle and relevant discussions in the racial and social justice, philanthropy, community. Lead rapid response efforts with the senior leadership team and Director of Membership in reviewing current events, determining when an organizational response is necessary, and managing the next steps (e.g., drafting statements, pitching experts available, re-releasing existing products, support production of new products).
- Support interdepartmental project-planning in designing interactive products, more visual storytelling, and other methods of engagement.
- Manage requests for organizational sponsorship of external programs/events
- Support sustained organizational engagement with movement allies by providing language, assisting with list-building, and leading mass communications.
Support Development & ABFE Business Plan and Revenue Generation
- Support Development fundraising appeals and creation of donation pages (e.g., graphics, video, content review, scheduling coordination)
- Promote ticket sales for the annual conference, webinars, workshops, and other events.
- Negotiate staff speaking engagement fees when possible.
- Create merchandise for sale and coordinate sales at events and online.
- Support the creation of event materials (e.g., invitations, signage) and program development and messaging.
- Support list segmenting and data analysis for growing our lists of donors and prospective donors, working closely with Data Manager
- Submit regular reports and funder-specific reports as needed with key metrics (e.g. media hits, social media analytics, web traffic, report downloads).
Other duties, as assigned
Education and Experience Requirements:
Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for ABFE’s
- Demonstrated passion for ABFE’s mission;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a related field is required;
- Minimum 6 years of relevant experience in communications and marketing, preferably in the nonprofit sector with advocacy or racial and social justice organization.
- Exceptional written, interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to a high level of customer service.
- Ability to manage multiple high-stake initiatives using effective project management skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines, demonstrating a flexible approach.
- Driven self-starter who works effectively and efficiently with all colleagues, strategic partners to include senior-level executives and CEOs
- Experience leading, coaching and training
- Proficiency in computer and web-based technology skills including database management, word processing, list management, Excel and web-based programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Travel may be required
How To Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30, 2020