The Milbank Memorial Fund is an endowed operating foundation that works to improve population health by connecting leaders and decision makers with the best available evidence and experience. Founded in 1905, the Fund engages in nonpartisan analysis, collaboration, and communication, with an emphasis on state health policy. We do this work by:
- Identifying, informing, and inspiring current and future state health policy leaders to enhance their effectiveness.
- Working with state health policy decision makers on issues they identify as important to population health, particularly in areas related to primary care, aging, and total costs of care.
- Publishing high-quality, evidence-based publications and the Quarterly, a peer-reviewed journal of population health and health policy.
The Quarterly is a multidisciplinary journal of population health and health policy. It presents original research, synthesis, policy analysis, and commentary from leading thinkers, policymakers, and practitioners. The journal receives more than 200 submissions annually and is published on behalf of the Fund by Wiley. In addition, we publish solicited commentaries on the Quarterly Opinion page of the Fund’s website.
Along with the Quarterly, the Fund’s communications include publications such as blog posts, reports, and issue briefs, as well as e-mail alerts and e-newsletters.
The Fund seeks an enthusiastic and collaborative communicator who will provide administrative and technical support to the Managing Editor of the Quarterly and the Communications Director, as well as to the Quarterly Editor and Program Officers on occasion. The position involves a variety of responsibilities, including managing the peer review activities of the Quarterly and author and reviewer communications. For both the Quarterly and Fund communications, the Assistant will contribute to website content management and content creation, as well as help plan and execute dissemination efforts and assess their success. The Assistant will work collaboratively with other staff members and must utilize independent analysis, judgment, and conduct all activities in a manner consistent with Fund’s mission, vision, and values.
The Milbank Quarterly (50%):
- Communicate with authors and reviewers
- Track manuscript submissions and reviews and maintain database of authors and reviewers on ScholarOne
- Regularly monitor article metrics and analyze monthly
- Draft correspondence to authors, reviewers, and editorial advisory board members
- Proofread and copyedit Quarterly articles and web content
- Other duties on request
- Assist with website content management on WordPress
- Regularly monitor website and social media metrics and compile and analyze monthly
- Assist with drafting and then sending e-newsletters and emails using email marketing software
- Create infographics, charts, social media graphics, and slideshows
- Support all staff with presentation design and data visualizations
- Monitor Twitter conversations in our topic areas
- Maintain media list
- Draft and send correspondence to organizations identified in dissemination strategies
- Assist with identifying new communications strategies
- Other duties on request
Experience and Qualifications
- Previous work experience in a professional office is required
- Undergraduate degree and strong academic record
- Interest in public health, health policy, public policy, public affairs, or public administration is a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Analytics
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
- Experience with website, marketing, and social media platforms
- Strong writing and copyediting skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- The ability to operate efficiently, multitask, and work independently
- High attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to work under pressure on occasions
- Commitment to the Fund’s mission, vision, and values
- Ability to work with and respect people of different cultures and viewpoints
The position is based in New York City. The staff are currently working remotely but are expected to return to the office for part of the workweek this spring. The salary range is $50K to $60K based on experience.
The Milbank Memorial Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourage applications from candidates of color.
How To Apply
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org