Science Friday is an award-winning producer of high quality, fact-checked, and trustworthy science news and educational programming. For 30 years, we’ve introduced top scientists to public radio listeners, and reminded them how much fun it is to learn something new. But we’re more than just a radio show. We produce a sweeping array of educational and entertaining science experiences through videos, podcasts, digital media, live events, citizen science, K-12 education and professional development, and at-home learning activities for families that directly serve hundreds of thousands of educators, parents, citizen scientists, and lifelong learners every year.
All of our work is independently produced by the Science Friday Initiative, a nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing the public’s access to science and scientific information. WNYC Studios distributes our radio show, which you can catch on public radio stations across the U.S.
This position serves a critical role in donor engagement and stewardship at Science Friday. The Stewardship Manager reports directly to the Executive Director and is responsible for specialized donor cultivation and growing the stewardship and legacy giving programs at Science Friday. This is a growing role, aimed at growing leadership giving and personalized donor engagement at Science Friday. As part of a four person fundraising team this position interacts with Science Friday donor communities across the country to facilitate increased giving and donor satisfaction. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker, capable of working alone as well as in collaboration, is full of donor engagement ideas, and is passionate about science and learning. You must enjoy people and be comfortable hosting live and virtual events.
Reports to: Executive Director
To apply please CLICK HERE
- Establish a pipeline for growth of major donors for Science Friday.
- Launch a planning giving program; stewarding existing donors into legacy giving at Science Friday.
- Maintain a personal portfolio of 50-100 donor relationships with giving capacities of $250 or more.
- Work in concert with the Individual Giving Manager to develop and deliver impactful donor newsletters, events, and reporting that cultivates and stewards prospective and existing donors.
- Work with our Individual Giving Manager to identify new prospects for stewardship.
- Draft and edit donor communications for the ED, Individual Giving Manager, Executive Producer, and Director of Institutional Giving.
- Write, support, and disseminate Science Friday’s Major Giving newsletter.
- Working with the Audience team to develop assets to support donor engagement.
- Working with the Audience team to track success and engagement of all donor activities including donation campaigns, donor experiences, and solicitations; incorporating data information into future fundraising efforts.
- Establish clear metrics and benchmarks for fundraising and donor engagement, evaluating campaign success and report findings at production meetings, all-staff meetings, and Board meetings.
- In collaboration with our social and engagement staff, track audience comments for donor profiles and donor communication.
- Follow fundraising best practices for fundraising and development, refining existing systems and making recommendations in regards to donor prospecting, data keeping, and analysis.
- Collaborate with our Executive Director, fundraising colleagues, and our program leads (digital, radio, education, and events) to create compelling campaigns and strategies that appeal to both donors and general audiences.
- Advocate for, and creatively implement campaigns for new and emerging donors using a variety of giving tools and platforms.
- In collaboration with other program teams, develop questions that invite our donors to actively shape and inform our coverage.
- Assist Individual Giving Manager with gift entry and donor acknowledgements.
- Assist the the Controller with Quickbooks donation reconciliation.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience as a front-line fundraiser, in particular working with major gifts and/or planned giving.
- A proven record of meeting and exceeding fundraising goals.
- High emotional intelligence, a background in relationship management, and strong intuition for people.
- A high level of discretion and comfort working with confidential, sensitive information.
- Comfort working in databases, preparing financials, reports, and spreadsheets to enable effective fundraising growth.
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ace writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated experience crafting original and compelling donor solicitations engagements.
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to accuracy.
- Expected to be available and be able to work occasional evenings and/or weekends as needed.
- Ability to connect with a large variety of people on a range of topics and interests with enthusiasm, empathy, and kindness.
- People who love science are very strongly encouraged to apply.
- Familiarity with EveryAction, our donor database system.
- Experience with project management and strong time management skills
- Familiarity with Slack, Google Suite, Asana, Airtable and other communication and project management tools.
How to Apply: https://airtable.com/shrKR2PBgUQEWfJcO
Salary Range: $70,000-$80,000
Deadline: This is an immediate vacancy. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Candidates should be prepared to participate in multiple interviews.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic Science Friday (and this role) is operating in a hybrid capacity where employees can work remotely or come into the office. However, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff. This role is expected to work from the New York metropolitan area and office, with considerable WFH flexibility, when it is safe to do so.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Science Friday is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. SciFri operates with the knowledge that journalism, science, and learning benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds. Diversity is essential to honest, trustworthy, accurate storytelling and promotes a healthier, happier, and more creative atmosphere. Science Friday strives for creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Our Workplace:
- We have a flexible leave policy that easily accommodates religious holidays, travel vacation, personal and parental leave, and sick days. We close our offices twice a year for a week for whole-staff recharge time (Mid-year in July and in December for a Winter break). We do not work on Thanksgiving or the Friday after.
- Our building has a secure lobby with a fully handicap accessible entrance and key card elevator service. We have a flexible open office with adjustable standing desks, adjustable chairs, and large external monitors; our office also includes a small recording studio, lounge area, and a handful of flexible separate offices and conference rooms.
- We use headphones a lot during the work day. We are really into office plants.
- We provide 401K matching, health, vision, and dental coverage, mental health support, an FSA, and often get great science and scifi books to read for free.
How To Apply
To apply please CLICK HERE