About the organization:
TransitCenter is a private foundation that conducts research and advocacy and works nationally to improve public transit in ways that make U.S. cities more just and environmentally sustainable. To do this, we are committed to reforming how and by whom decisions about transit are made, bringing new perspectives, especially those of transit riders, into planning and policy work. We believe that supporting community-based activists and harnessing our own voice are critical to advancing the type of transit advocacy urgently needed in American cities.
More about TransitCenter’s work and staff can be found on our website, transitcenter.org
About the position:
The Marketing and Communications Associate will play a critical role in amplifying the impact of products and programs for TransitCenter. They will help our work find new audiences, and ensure that our products are falling into the laps of key decision-makers in the transit universe. They will also help to create compelling content for TransitCenter’s blog, social media, and newsletters. The successful candidate will have a knack for both storytelling and advocacy messaging, and is overflowing with ideas for how to reach and influence stakeholders. They’ll be creative, energetic, curious, collaborative, and interested in using digital communications tools to facilitate real-world change.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Designs and executes marketing plans for all of our externally facing products, including reports, events, videos, and podcasts
- Helps us reach new audiences, and ensure we are reaching key decision-makers and influencers
- With the Director of Communications, shares responsibility for the organization’s social media feeds
- Primary responsibility for appearance, structure, and text on TransitCenter website; primary point of contact with web developers
- Identifies and acts on opportunities for the organization to get press coverage
- Leads and executes our newsletter strategy, including content creation as well as developing a plan to grow subscriber base
- Produces blog posts and other brief written and graphical communication about timely issues and trends affecting transit
- Works to identify strategic partnership opportunities, and track their impact
- Gathers audience insights to inform outreach strategies
- 3-5 years of experience in a communications and or marketing role
- An exemplary communicator and strategist
- Experience implementing marketing campaigns with demonstrated results
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail
- The ability to work independently, and the ability to make determinations about what to prioritize based on changing circumstances
- Open to feedback and comfortable working in close collaboration across internal teams and with external partners
- Interest in translating communications metrics into real-world change
- Rides transit regularly
- A demonstrated commitment to racial equity
- A proven track record of growing audiences and engagement for organizations on social media
- Experience with power-mapping, and identifying and influencing key decision-makers
- Background in public policy, government, or issue advocacy
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and experience with graphic design
- Interest in short-form video producing and editing
- Curiosity about how transit does (and doesn’t!) work in the U.S.
In order to live the values listed above, specifically to have an equitable and inclusive workplace and because we believe in the power of complementary strength, people of color, people with low incomes, women, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
The full benefits package will be described as part of the interview process but some of our benefits include:
- 401(k) with 5% matching contribution
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 11 company holidays, 22 days of vacation, 10 sick days per year, and 12 weeks of paid parental leave for new parents
- If you would like to request accommodation during the interview process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Proof of COVID vaccination is required for employment.
Proof of US work authorization and the successful completion of a background check are required for employment.
- TransitCenter is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
- Employment is on an “at-will” basis, meaning both the employer and the employee can terminate the relationship at any time.
TransitCenter, a private philanthropic foundation, is incorporated in the State of New York, with its sole office located in the City of New York, and is bound by the employment statutes and regulations of those jurisdictions.
How To Apply
Interested applicants can apply by using the below URL and submitting the requested documents. Application link: https://apply.workable.com/j/A89DFBDB78