JPB’s mission is to advance opportunity and justice in the US by reducing poverty, sustaining and enriching our environments, and furthering breakthrough medical research. Through our three core areas of focus – Poverty, Environment, and Medical Research – we work to eliminate systemic injustices that prevent people from thriving. We are dedicated to long-lasting, systemic change. That means we commit to our partners for the long haul, trusting in the strength and vision of the organizations we support to address some of our country’s most entrenched problems.
JPB was founded in 2011 by Barbara Picower, the current president of the Foundation and Chair of the Board with funds bequeathed by her late husband, Jeffry. In April 2023, JPB announced the selection of Deepak Bhargava as its next President, succeeding Picower, who will transition into a president emerita role in February 2024. Over the last 10 years, JPB has grown to be one of the largest US foundations, awarding over $1B in grants across our programs.
The JPB Foundation (JPB) seeks an experienced, proactive, tech-savvy, and detail-oriented Executive Coordinator to join the team and provide exceptional support to the incoming President, Deepak Bhargava, who will begin in August 2023. Reporting to the incoming President, the Executive Coordinator will play a pivotal role by providing a range of administrative and project support, including facilitating the effective running of the President’s office, schedule, and activities. The new Executive Coordinator will ensure thoughtful and strategic prioritization, planning, and coordination for the Foundation’s new leader while providing reliable stewardship and care in daily interactions with internal and external contacts.
The Executive Coordinator will report to the new President, Deepak Bhargava, and can expect to engage with the team in the following responsibilities and areas of work:
Provide strategic calendar management and planning for the new President (60%)
- Manage the President’s schedule by taking in requests for meetings, compiling the requests for the President’s review and decision-making, and following up reliably and promptly with meticulous care and detail;
- Anticipate and forecast potential scheduling needs, including calendaring time to ensure the President’s schedule reflects the short-, medium- and long-term priorities of the organization;
- Correspond and coordinate with the President so both parties are well-informed of commitments and changes to the President’s schedule and manage revisions or cancellations and rescheduling as necessary;
- Collaborate with the President to review and improve scheduling and coordination processes, adapting practices as needed to meet the needs of the President, JPB team, and external audiences;
- Correspond with people requesting meetings in ways that communicate respect, care, and discretion to ensure President’s time is strategically aligned with the organization’s priorities; and
- Coordinate with other members of the JPB team to respectfully hand-off meeting requests where appropriate.
Support effective meeting logistics (20%)
- Ensure smooth logistical coordination for meetings by reserving and setting up virtual or physical meeting space; coordinating and booking travel; sending invitations, agendas and materials to appropriate people; and compiling advanced background material, including from JPB’s grants management database, Fluxx;
- Receive and direct visitors for meetings involving the President;
- Coordinate with the Office Management team about rooms, food, and early or late set up; and
- Order food for meetings as needed, coordinating delivery with building, vendor, and JPB Office Management team.
Complete President’s administrative tasks and projects (10%)
- Coordinate and book President’s travel, including confirming travel itineraries within Concur (JPB’s expense system) and creating and documenting travel plans;
- Manage and reconcile President’s expenses;
- Attend meetings to record minutes, document follow up items, and circulate meeting summaries to appropriate parties, as needed;
- Assist with the design and preparation of documents, reports, and presentations, as needed;
- Maintain filing upkeep; and
- Assist with special projects.
Build relationships and ensure thoughtful, effective communication (10%)
- Build relationships with JPB team members and external constituencies who are in regular contact with the President to support effective coordination and access;
- Maintain open communication with the JPB team, providing a bridge to foresee, identify, or address any issues that should be raised for consideration by the President;
- Provide backup support to other Executive Coordinators and reception, as needed; and
- Communicate thoughtfully and respectfully to internal and external audiences, holding care and confidentiality, exercising judgement, and maintaining credibility and trust.
Perform other related duties as requested or as responsibilities dictate.
QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES, AND BEHAVIORS
While no one candidate will embody all the qualifications below, the ideal candidate will have many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- Minimum of five years of experience as an Executive Assistant or in a similar role;
- Meticulous organizational and tracking skills and attention to detail for self and others;
- Demonstrated ability to strategically organize work, prioritize a breadth of activities and communication, meet deadlines, and problem solve and reliably follow up appropriately;
- Ability to exercise good judgment, and strict confidentiality on appropriate issues;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to handle communications tactfully and professionally with a high attention to detail and warmth;
- Orientation towards customer service and support for others, and a willingness to take on tasks as needed;
- Comfort with using technology, including proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office computer applications, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, with experience using a database is preferred;
- Team-oriented, enjoys working in a collaborative environment and developing effective working relationships internally and externally;
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic and proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Bachelors’ Degree or equivalent experience in related field
- A commitment to social justice and the mission of JPB
SALARY & BENEFITS
The targeted starting salary range for this position is $80,000 – $95,000, based on experience. JPB offers an extensive and generous benefits package including health insurance (with 100% of the premiums paid for employees, spouses, domestic partners, and qualified family members), paid time off (including last week of the year), 401(k) retirement plan with 12% employer contribution, and access to an inclusive family building reimbursement plan. JPB provides up to $5,000 annually for professional development and the ability to recommend an annual grant to the nonprofit of your choice.
WORKING WITH JPB
We believe that diversity is critical to our mission, and we value an inclusive culture. We strongly encourage applications from people with lived experiences related to our programs and applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals. The JPB Foundation is an equal opportunity employer; we do not discriminate in employment based on race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, gender or gender identity, age or sexual orientation.
This position is based in Manhattan, NY. Following health and safety guidelines and putting in place robust health and safety guidelines, JPB staff returned to the office on a hybrid schedule and currently work from the office 3 days weekly, with the flexibility to work remotely two days weekly. JPB has approached our return to work conservatively and is focused on protecting the health and safety of our employees. Consistent with JPB’s mandatory vaccination policy, all new hires (except those granted reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable law) are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted (with the booster of their choice) for COVID-19.
Apply online on the below link.