Human Rights Watch is a nonprofit, nongovernmental human rights organization made up of roughly 400 staff members around the globe. Its staff consists of human rights professionals including country experts, lawyers, journalists, and academics of diverse backgrounds and nationalities. Established in 1978, Human Rights Watch is known for its accurate fact-finding, impartial reporting, effective use of media, and targeted advocacy, often in partnership with local human rights groups. Each year, Human Rights Watch publishes more than 100 reports and briefings on human rights conditions in some 90 countries, generating extensive coverage in local and international media. With the leverage this brings, Human Rights Watch meets with governments, the United Nations, regional groups like the African Union and the European Union, financial institutions, and corporations to press for changes in policy and practice that promote human rights and justice around the world.
The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking highly-qualified applicants for the position of Senior Director of Marketing in the New York office. The Development and Outreach Department handles the fundraising and outreach activities of HRW. The Senior Director of Marketing oversees marketing, branding, and development operations. The Senior Director of Marketing reports to the Deputy Executive Director of Development and Global Initiatives based in New York.
1. Manage the Marketing Team, leading the development and implementation of the direct-response fundraising program (direct mail and digital);
2. Strategize and lead digital outreach and acquisition programs;
3. Oversee the Marketing team’s campaigns while leveraging data to continually optimize campaigns and ensure strong market coverage;
4. Manage Human Rights Watch’s global brand definition and exposition, including appropriate training, support and tools for global staff;
5. Ensure high quality and data led supporter care, development and upgrades;
6. Ensure clear Marketing budgetary and staff resource management and accountability, with a focus on effective expenditure of resources;
7. Lead the Development Operations team, responsible for running the Raiser’s Edge database and digital CRM;
8. Support and actively engage with Senior Leadership Team of Development and Outreach Department and work to provide strong, positive collegial support;
9. Work collaboratively across the organization with colleagues in program, communications and outreach;
10. Establish clear work plans for staff and communicate priorities clearly and effectively; and
11. Perform other duties and travel as may be required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree in human rights, communications, philanthropy, or a related field is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of 8-10 years of work experience in modern high performance fundraising and/or marketing environments is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Experience with online donor recruitment and retention, analytics set-up and monitoring, search and display marketing, and brand management is required.
2. Strong supervisory and leadership skills are required.
3. Experience in developing new markets for digital outreach and acquisition programs is required.
4. Ability to create and own business metrics and goals to determine what will move the needle is required.
5. Ability to be rigorous, think critically, ask probing, clear questions, and drive toward simple, practical solutions quickly is required.
6. Creativity, initiative, follow-through and excellent organizational skills are required.
7. Strong interpersonal skills with collegiality and good-humouredness in order to work collaboratively within HRW as well as with external partners are required.
8. Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are required.
9. An understanding of the global fundraising marketplace with extensive experience in delivery of international campaigns and/or events for non-profits is required.
10. Proven ability using analytics to inform and influence decision-making is required.
11. Digital experience with high interaction and partnership with Communication teams are strongly preferred.
12. Experience in international contexts and languages other than English is strongly preferred.
13. Ability to manage reputation risk and communicate from a values led position during crisis situations that may arise is required.
14. A commitment to social justice and incorporation of HRW’s values, vision, mission, and strategic priorities is preferred.
Salary and Benefits: Human Rights Watch seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits. HRW offers a relocation assistance package and will assist employees in obtaining necessary work authorization, if required; citizens of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
Please apply immediately or by 11:59 PM ET on November 30, 2016 by visiting our online job portal at https://careers-hrw.icims.com/jobs/1279/login. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email email@example.com. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.