Philanthropy New York is a nonprofit membership association of more than 280 foundations and corporate giving programs based in the New York metropolitan region that provides a broad range of services to over 3,500 individual philanthropic professionals and trustees of those organizations. Philanthropy New York supports and strengthens the foundation sector’s practice of effective philanthropy for the public good. We do this primarily by providing our members with knowledge and resources that facilitate strategic, collaborative grantmaking. For more information on our work, please visit www.philanthropynewyork.org.
Philanthropy New York is constantly exploring new ways to share our programming and policy work with new audiences. In 2016, we held a total of 224 events, including 5 long programs (conference/half-day), 29 livestreamed programs, and 23 webinars. We are currently seeking a Communications Manager or a Communications Director to support a broad range of communications strategies that strengthen the organization’s brand, build on deep member relationships and outstanding programming, and integrate our many communications platforms. Philanthropy New York’s current communications platforms include e-communications, social media, our website, a branded news site – the New York PhilanthroPost and a new video content site, PhilTV. All of these vehicles improve our ability to serve as an information broker for the region’s philanthropic sector and a disseminator of philanthropic, nonprofit and governmental news. Our Drupal-based website is integrated with a Salesforce CRM system, all jointly managed by PNY’s Communications and the Member Services departments. We have consolidated PNY’s various information streams – multiple e-newsletters, blogs and Twitter streams – under a consistent, unified branding. In the past three years, we have seen a strong and steady increase in the number of subscribers and online followers and are seeking to hire a communications professional who is excited to continue this growth.
The Communications Manager/Director functions as managing editor of the New York PhilanthroPost, the producer of PhilTV and leader of the day-to-day operations of PNY’s website, social media and all other associated media/web development.
The Communications Manager/Director helps to craft internal and external messaging, ensures a unified brand experience for our members, and provides vision and leadership for the development of communications vehicles. Aspects of this position will be highlighted differently for a manager candidate as opposed to a director candidate. This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the SVP, Public Policy & Communications and collaborates closely with colleagues in Member Services, Programs and Public Policy.
The Communications Manager/Director will:
Manage Overall Communications
• Manage PNY’s mass communications, including regular e-newsletters and occasional targeted emails to affinity groups
• Work closely with Programs and Member Services to develop communications campaigns around our annual calendar of events and special initiatives
• Develop new communications strategies to advance organizational objectives, and eventually a cohesive communications plan
• Manage external relationships with communications vendors such as graphic designers, photographers, videographers, etc.
• Ensure consistent style and branding on all PNY materials
Oversee Website Content and Development
• Manage the content of PNY’s website, including oversight of staff/department content management
• Formulate and lead new initiatives to build Philanthropy New York’s connectivity and collaboration across audiences, platforms and sectors
• Manage the organization’s website infrastructure, including security updates, permissions, and integration of Salesforce (in partnership with Member Services)
• Oversee and ensure proper brand management across PNY’s electronic platforms
Function as the Managing Editor of the New York PhilanthroPost
• Develop new content, soliciting and editing 100+ editorial pieces each year (working in partnership with Member Services department to solicit original content from leaders in the philanthropic community with a goal of one to two original pieces each week)
• Overseeing content aggregation (oversee and manage posting on average 15-20 pieces each business day)
• Assemble daily and weekly e-newsletter versions of our news (task will vary for manager or director level candidates)
• Work with the SVP of Public Policy & Communications to develop and execute marketing strategies for the news site
• Manage and extend the reach of PNY’s multiple social media streams, focusing especially on growing our community on Twitter and creating a whole new audience for @NYPhilPost and extending its Facebook reach
• Maintain and improve our system for identifying and aggregating appropriate news from across the region to appear on the news site
• Work collaboratively and creatively with the Editorial Board of the New York PhilanthroPost
Produce Livestream or Web-based Events for PhilTV
• Act as managing producer for PNY programs that are made available to audiences through a live-feed broadcast, with support from our programming department
• Develop PhilTV video projects that enhance our organizational goals
• Work with colleagues in the program department and PNY’s AV vendors to maximize the use of AV system for livestream and other recordings
The ideal candidate will be:
• An inquisitive information seeker, motivated by the desire to contribute knowledge and learning to the philanthropic sector
• A strategic, analytic thinker
• An excellent writer and tactful editor
• A diplomatic communicator who is comfortable working with diverse constituencies
• A service-oriented professional
• A self-starter who values a collaborative team environment
• A strong project manager with excellent organizational skills and the flexibility to manage shifting priorities
• Knowledge of/experience in the nonprofit and/or philanthropic sector
• Four years (Manager level) to eight years (Director level) of substantial experience in strategic communications and messaging, brand management, online media management, multi-platform integration and editing
• Experience leading the development of online content and managing a dynamic, content rich website
• Basic video editing and experience with live-streaming video a plus, or at minimum, strong interest in developing these skills
• Demonstrated experience in developing creative approaches to meet organizational objectives and the ability to diligently execute those approaches
• Ability to analyze information and discern key issues of interest to PNY’s audiences, and communicate clearly and concisely. This includes experience producing website analytics and using those analytics to create new strategies to engage audiences.
• Knowledge of AP Style (or willingness to learn quickly) and excellent writing skills
• Experience working with Drupal, Salesforce and/or MailChimp a plus
Please send a resume and a cover letter via email outlining your interest in the position, your skills and your qualifications. Please include your salary requirements.
How To Apply
Salary and Title commensurate with a candidate’s experience in the field. Salary range: $55,000 – $75,000, based on the role (Manager or Director) offered.
Chief Operating Officer
Philanthropy New York
No phone calls, please. Please note that due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we are unable to respond to all candidates. We will be directly in touch with candidates for first round interviews.
Philanthropy New York values diversity and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals of diverse backgrounds, sex, race, religion, gender preference and sexual orientation.