Established in 2008 as an initiative of the Open Society Foundations, the Campaign for Black Male Achievement (CBMA) is a national membership network with the mission to ensure the growth, sustainability and impact of leaders and organizations committed to improving the life outcomes of Black men and boys. In 2015, CBMA spun off from the Open Society Foundations into an independent organization, which supports a growing network of more than 4,800 individuals who represent more than 2,500 organizations across the United States. CBMA’s work sits at the intersection of movement- and field-building, supporting local leaders on the ground, while at same time amplifying and catalyzing the Black Male Achievement movement across the country.
The CBMA Development team is responsible for developing and implementing strategies for growing CBMA’s $5M+ annual budget. The Development team drives cultivating a large portfolio of foundations, corporations and individual donors and seeking support for general operations, program-specific support, and other organizational priorities. Reporting to the Vice President of Development, the Development Officer is primarily responsible for prospecting new potential funders and donors, facilitating communication with funders and donors, and collaborating with the broader CBMA team for writing grant proposals and required reports. The Development Officer will also be responsible for working closely with CBMA’s communications team to ensure alignment between the organization’s messaging content is aligned with and supports the fund development strategy.
Essential job functions:
Supporting the Vice President of Development and CEO in maintaining and strengthening relationships with corporate and foundation funders. This work includes creating funder briefings, writing letters and mailings, and maintaining records about our relationships.
- Prospecting new potential foundation and corporate funders to support the organization’s general operations and specific programs and services.
- Collaborate with CBMA team to write grant proposals, and grant reports for corporate and foundation funders.
- Serve as the organization’s lead for maintaining the database/portfolio of funders and donors.
- Working with communications team to craft and refine content for field building and marketing initiatives, website updates, e-blasts, and social media strategy to promote activities.
- Partner with CBMA Operations and Communications teams in developing and editing relevant fundraising materials.
- Support the VP of Development with preparation and execution of bi-weekly fund development strategy meetings with pertinent team members.
- Work closely with Communications staff to develop and execute CBMA online donor engagement strategy.
- Position is full-time, exempt.
- Travel may be up to 15% and will likely include some weekends.
- This job description does not cover or contain a comprehensive list of duties, activities or responsibilities that are required of this employee for this job.
- Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Education / Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree a plus.
- Minimum of 5 or more years of relevant experience in development or fundraising for a foundation or nonprofit.
- Experience building relationships with foundation and corporate partners to write and win grant proposals.
- Exceptional writing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Highly organized with superb attention to detail and project management skills.
- Ability to multi task in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Ability to problem-solve, take initiative, be proactive and work independently.
- Ability to collaborate with people at all levels and synthesize diverse sets of institutional perspectives into a concise report.
- Knowledge of CRM such as Salesforce, and Raiser’s Edge or other platforms.
- Ability to quickly learn and engage with web-based technologies such as: Google Platform (Drive, Analytics, AdWords etc.), Microsoft Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Social Media Analytics tools such as Hootsuite and MailChimp.
- Commitment to and passion for CBMA’s mission to improve life outcomes for Black men and boys, women and girls.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office with low-level noise. Job may require lifting typical office materials from time to time. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as: computers, phone, photocopiers, filing cabinets etc.