Mission Investors Exchange (MIE) is the leading impact investing network for foundations dedicated to deploying capital for social and environmental change. With over 250 members, we provide resources, inspiration, and connections to help our members increase the scale and impact of their impact investing practice. Members come to MIE for best practices, new investment opportunities, deal partnerships, and innovations in impact investing around the world.
MIE was founded over 15 years ago by a group of foundation leaders who shared a vision: to activate their dollars beyond grantmaking. Many of the pioneering individuals whose ideas blossomed together around a table are still engaged in the work. However, their efforts have developed into a large, professional community of foundations that relies on MIE for education and the curated information they need to succeed in the growing and cutting-edge field of impact investing.
Our work has an outstanding impact on the field. One thing our members consistently communicate is that they appreciate the time we take to make authentic connections. We build strong relationships with the organizations in our network in order to connect individuals with each other and with the knowledge they need to create more impact. The peer-to-peer connections that were the beginnings of MIE remain in place to this day and our members are stronger as they continue to learn from each other.
Through its iterations over the years, a north star of MIE has been to keep the impact in impact investing. A critical piece of that commitment, particularly in the past three years, has been to ensure that racial equity is a key part of our programming and the way we demonstrate our approach to the work. This is reflected in such activities as our investment opportunity forums, our social media engagement, and in program sessions that we create or participate in ourselves as speakers. We have a deep commitment to racial equity, acknowledge that this is an ongoing effort, and are still doing the work to build out the internal systems and methods needed to carry out our commitment.
Learn more about Mission Investors Exchange members and its work at www.missioninvestors.org.
As a key member of the organization, the Associate, Member Experience, will support the critical functions of member and partner engagement and membership strategy and operations. She/He/They will be a key driver in a range of membership engagement opportunities, such as membership development and onboarding, virtual convenings and programs, and working groups. A primary responsibility will be managing projects and utilizing customer relationship management (CRM) tools to leverage member data and reporting. Given the role and responsibilities, She/He/They will be a critical bridge, weaving information across our remotely located team and among members. The Associate will report directly to the Senior Vice President, Member and Partner Engagement, although their work will require Her/Him/Them to have a close working relationship with the Director, Membership.
The Associate will use project management skills and self-driven entrepreneurial spirit to propel core membership functions in several ways, bringing in expertise and critical thinking skills to strengthen, improve and codify systems and processes as needed. She/He/They will be exceptionally detail-oriented, particularly with written communication and project management.
The key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in managing member-related processes that elevate the member experience, such as the new member onboarding process from application to matriculation and the member renewal process including, but not limited to the following:
- Support members directly;
- Run and manage member progress reports, monitor membership dashboard, and check data accuracy;
- Draft and partner with the Knowledge and Communications team on membership communications, such as the renewal campaign and annual survey;
- Collaborate regularly with senior staff to strategize key next steps for membership engagement;
- Engage with other team members to ensure member data is accurate in the CRM (Salesforce experience, highly preferred) and digital platforms (Google);
- Conduct background research for meetings, prospect sourcing;
- Support the development and maintenance of MIE’s annual membership calendar;
- Provide administrative support for membership engagement, such as scheduling and note-taking.
- Act as a strategic thought partner with the SVP and the Director, Membership, providing insights and reflections on the member experience
- Provide program management and logistics for member and partner engagement opportunities, such as Working Groups, Open Mics, and other member activities; participate in meetings with members and partners, taking notes, creating and analyzing results of evaluations and surveys, and providing feedback to colleagues;
- Project management for key member events, including logistics, communication, and on-the-ground support;
- Engage thoughtfully through email, social media and other communication channels to connect members with relevant resources;
- Provide member assistance including answering member inquiries about impact investing.
Key Membership Operations:
- Manage member profiles and relevant data in Salesforce – eventually acting as primary point of contact for a portfolio of members while simultaneously supporting the member portfolios of other colleagues;
- Ensure that member data in Salesforce is accurate and robust in order to meet the needs of MIE as a membership organization;
- Manage and maintain regular member-related reports and dashboards in Salesforce to help drive strategy, and track progress against key performance indicators, for membership services and engagement;
- Collaborate with SVP and Director, Membership to set key performance indicators and reflect regularly to ensure the team is providing high-quality service to members;
- Manage and improve various member-related processes and timelines in order to provide the highest level of service for MIE members;
- Support new member prospecting processes through independent research and information gathering.
The ideal candidate will possess most of the following qualifications:
- A minimum of five years of relevant professional experience; Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required;
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills with an overall execution orientation;
- Ability to create clear and workable project plans, communicate those plans clearly to others, and manage themselves and others towards deadlines;
- Proficiency with project management software, preferably Asana; OR demonstrated competency with similar technology tools;
- Enjoys talking with and helping people. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively represent MIE to stakeholders through clear, compelling and concise communication;
- Innate ability to build meaningful relationships through strong interpersonal skills;
- A positive customer service mindset, high level of professional discretion and ability to recognize and follow appropriate levels of confidentiality;
- Experience leveraging Salesforce (or other CRM) data and analytics in order to monitor progress towards organizational goals;
- Proficient and comfortable with technology and specific platforms – CRM (Salesforce, highly preferred), Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint), and Google Drive applications;
- Open and willing to learn new technology, as needed;
Mindset and Working Style
- Proactive, self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset;
- Ability to creatively problem-solve, communicate, and act calmly and decisively during times of ambiguity or change;
- Learning orientation with a sense of professional curiosity; interest in seeking and providing feedback and new information consistently to strengthen own performance and that of team;
- Approaches work with a “can-do” attitude;
- Deep interest and/or experience in social impact investing, philanthropy, or membership organizations;
- Experience in a member serving organization preferred;
- Sharp critical thinking and analytical skills with the ability to assess quickly, develop insights and solutions, with aptitude to apply the learnings to a larger context;
- Ability to develop technical reports and use qualitative and quantitative information for strategic planning and decision-making.
MIE offers a competitive salary for this position, commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and a 403(b) retirement plan with matching, along with other elective options.
How To Apply
MIE values the unique traits that diverse backgrounds and experience bring to the work. Qualified and interested individuals are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Rina Han, Managing Director of Sun Han Consulting, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mission Investors Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, MIE complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.