African Communities Together (ACT) is an organization of African immigrants fighting for civil rights, opportunity, and a better life for our families here in the U.S. and worldwide. ACT works to support and empower African immigrants to integrate socially, advance economically, and engage civically. ACT connects African immigrants to services, empowers our members to develop as grassroots leaders, and leads campaigns for social change. ACT’s African immigrant membership comes from a diverse range of nationalities, cultures, and languages and is religiously diverse, majority women, and predominantly working-class and low-income.
Title: New York State Policy Manager
Position Location: This position will be based in ACT’s office in New York City, with occasional travel to Albany and other locations.
Title: New York State Policy Manager
Reports to: National Policy Director
FLSA Status: Salaried-Exempt
Employment Type: Full-time
Hours: Monday-Friday, Hybrid position, requires a mix of remote work, work from office, and in-person meetings.
ACT is hiring a New York State Policy Manager to lead ACT’s NY state and local policy advocacy and campaigns. ACT’s current NY state and local priorities include promoting language accessibility for African language speakers; advancing good jobs and seeking to close the “African Wage Gap”; and removing barriers to occupational licensing for African hair braiders. This position will report to the National Policy Director and work closely with the NY organizing team and national policy staff.
Key responsibilities include:
- Serve as lead policy analyst and advocate for ACT’s NY policy and legislative priorities.
- Work with ACT leadership, staff, members, coalition partners, and legislative consultants to advance ACT’s policy priorities.
- Research, develop, and draft legislation, regulations, and changes to policies and procedures.
- Track and analyze priority legislation; communicate key provisions and implications to ACT stakeholders.
- Prepare and disseminate policy briefs, one-pagers, white papers, and talking points.
- Prepare and deliver legislative and policy updates to a variety of audiences, including staff, ACT membership, and partners.
- Represent ACT and the communities we serve in meetings with policy makers and public forums.
- Working with organizing and communications staff, train and prepare ACT members and leaders to serve as legislative advocates and spokespeople.
- A passion for ACT’s mission and demonstrated commitment to community-centered immigrant justice.
- At least 3 years of substantive experience in policy analysis or advocacy. Experience in related fields, including immigration, workforce development, or housing, and policy experience specific to New York, is desirable.
- Professional degree relevant to policy analysis, such as JD, MPP, or MPA, strongly preferred.
- Experience and cultural competence with African immigrant communities.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to succeed in a “startup” environment, including accountability to goals, ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team, take on multiple roles, and prioritize. Ability to work evenings, weekends, and irregular hours when the work requires it.
We offer a full comprehensive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Simplified Employee Pension Plan (SEP-IRA). Additional benefits include professional development and a sabbatical/longevity bonus.
Paid Time and Holidays Off
African Communities Together (ACT) offers a generous benefits package to full-time employees. Benefits include paid vacation and medical leave, a personal day for every two months worked, paid holidays throughout the calendar year (including federal holidays), and a year-end winter break from December 24th to January 1st.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit your resume along with a brief cover letter describing your interest in the position. here: New York State Policy Manager – African Communities Together – Career Page (applytojob.com). Applicants are encouraged to submit applications by September 29th, 2023; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that someone meets 100% of the qualifications for a role Studies have shown people of the global majority and female-identifying candidates in particular are likely to “count themselves out” of otherwise well-matched opportunities due to this fact. If much of this job description describes you, please apply for
Equal Opportunity Employer
African Communities Together (ACT) believes that all persons are entitled to Equal Employment Opportunity, and we do not discriminate against our staff members or applicants for employment because of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, sex, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran or citizenship status provided they are qualified and meet the requirements for the position. ACT provides reasonable accommodation to candidates with disabilities.
ACT is an affirmative action employer, and strongly supports the social goals of affirmative action. We therefore make special efforts to recruit individuals from groups that are historically under-represented in professional environments, or that suffer from broader societal discrimination.