Established in 1950, the Hampton Roads Community Foundation is a charitable network of generous people, nonprofit partners, and civic leaders working to make Hampton Roads a thriving and more inclusive community for all.
Through research, funding, and special programs, the Foundation brings the community together to tackle important regional concerns and to advance racial equity.
A restructured position for the Hampton Roads Community Foundation (“HRCF” or “Foundation”), the Communications Manager (“Manager” or “CM”) works closely with the Vice President for Communications and Marketing (“Vice President” or “VP-CM”) in implementing a comprehensive, multi-dimensional marketing and communications strategy for positioning the Foundation as the region’s premier charitable giving partner for donors and as an indispensable thought leader and community partner for advancing the region’s economic vitality. The Manager reports to the Vice President, serving as his/her/their primary team member in delivering a robust, audience-focused communications program for the Foundation.
The Manager believes in the vision, mission, and values of the Foundation and, in principle and practice, is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. S/he/they supports the 2018-23 Strategic Roadmap and its companion 2020-23 Racial Equity Plan as the guidepost for realizing them.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Under the guidance of the Vice President, helps to adapt and disseminate stories and messages across a variety of platforms—both electronic-based media (such as website, e-news, blogs, social media, and video) as well as print-based media (such as print publications, advertising, and other traditional media).
2. Supports the implementation of HRCF’s communications plans with community-focused strategies that deepen relationships with key stakeholders, strengthen community participation in Foundation-sponsored programs and initiatives, and promote the HRCF brand.
3. Assists the VP-CM with communications plans, public relations, special projects, and events by creating, curating, and producing written, visual, and digital content, and by working with vendors and consultants.
4. Manages, maintains, and monitors digital media platforms, including websites, social media, and related software applications and programs as determined by the VP-CM.
5. Maintains relationships with members of the news and niche media to help promote HRCF as a resource on a variety of topics, pitching stories and assisting with media coaching as directed by the VP-CM.
6. Understands, analyzes, compiles, and uses the data analytics of HRCF’s communications platforms to help inform on-going communications and marketing strategies.
7. Collaborates with the vice presidents for Development, Equity and Inclusion, Donor Engagement, and Grantmaking to advance and improve communications with and for their respective constituents.
8. Performs additional duties as assigned by the Vice President for Communications and Marketing.
1. Clear understanding and belief in the mission of the Hampton Roads Community Foundation.
2. Cultural competence, with demonstrated ability to understand, collaborate, and navigate cross-cultural differences.
3. Commitment to racial equity, diversity, and inclusion.
4. At least 5-7 years of work experience, preferably in non-profit communications or related fields.
5. Bachelor’s degree in relevant field from a regionally accredited institution.
6. Demonstrated expertise in using new and traditional media, along with an interest in exploring and learning to use emerging technologies and software applications.
7. Experience creating compelling content across multiple platforms.
8. Exceptional verbal and writing skills, with the demonstrated ability to listen reflectively, draw out a subject, and discern and share what is pertinent. Feature writing experience is a plus.
9. Accuracy and impeccable spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
10. Familiarity with area media outlets, including online news sources.
11. Demonstrated ability to grasp complex ideas rapidly, finding ways to share and make them meaningful and interesting to various audiences.
12. Detail-oriented, with exceptional organizational skills, a strategic nimbleness, and the ability to multi-task and prioritize amid a demanding workload and often inflexible deadlines.
13. Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with such diverse constituencies as donors, board members, grantees, the media, and the public.
14. Professional and personal ethical standards above reproach.
15. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues in a small, fast-paced work environment that depends on collaboration.
16. Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality, be the consummate professional, and use good judgment.
17. Openness to learning and constructive feedback, with a willingness to share ideas.
18. Sense of humor.
19. Excellent computer and technology skills, especially digital, mobile, video, photo as well as databases.
20. Demonstrated proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite and Cloud, email marketing and survey programs, and Apple Macintosh applications.
21. Experience with relational databases.
22. Demonstrated adeptness with the technology of today’s work environment and a proven ability to maintain a working knowledge of deployed work-specific equipment and software once adequately trained.
How To Apply
- View the full position description and apply online at hamptonroadscf.org.
- Please do not mail, fax or email your résumé. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
- Review of applications will begin on July 1, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled.
The Foundation requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be approved for an accommodation in the case of a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. If selected, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination or a request for exemption at least three days prior to your start date. We are currently using a flexible hybrid work schedule, but eventually, the position may be fully in-office.