The National Center for Youth Law (NCYL) is a nonprofit law firm that
for over four decades has worked to ensure marginalized children have
the resources, support, and opportunities they need for healthy and
productive lives. We weave together a variety of strategies – including
research, policy advocacy, and litigation – to ensure the systems
intended to support marginalized children do so effectively. As a
national organization we advocate and bring litigation in state and
The Development Manager will secure funding for NCYL’s high-impact
system reform projects to defend the rights of immigrant children, end
child trafficking, protect LGBTQIA+ youth and students of color from
harassment at school, hold foster care systems accountable, dismantle the
school to prison pipeline, and advance the reproductive health rights of
As part of an organization grounded in values of equity and justice, this
is an opportunity to connect deeply to the issues you care most about in a
creative, supportive, and inspiring work environment. Through this role,
you will engage in close partnerships with NCYL program staff across
all campaign areas, partner with leading national, state, and local
foundations, and help drive the organization’s growth. NCYL has a
$9.5M organizational budget with significant, multi-year investments
from leading foundations. The Development Manager will have the
opportunity to identify and implement new strategies that continue to
build NCYL’s prospect pipeline.
• Staff Mentor & Coach | Cultivate and manage close relationships
with NCYL Program Directors working across youth rights issue
areas, providing them with your development expertise, especially as
it pertains to prospecting, funder communications, and proposal
• Content Creator | Serve as NCYL’s creator and protector of content by building up
NCYL’s development content library and crafting new, engaging text that communicates
our impact and inspires and aligns NCYL staff and funders.
• Grant Writer | Lead the drafting, editing, and submission of funder-facing materials
including letters of inquiry, concept papers, proposals, and collateral materials in
partnership with NCYL Program Directors and the Finance Team.
• Prospect Cultivator | Identify and strategize best approaches to reach new funder
audiences, including foundation, government, and corporate sources.
• Strategic Partner | Generate new, innovative ideas and contribute to organization-wide
strategic and development planning that will help ensure NCYL’s continued sustainable
• Three or more years of full-time work experience, preferably in non-profit development
• Demonstrated commitment to the youth rights issues that NCYL stands for
• Experience successfully applying for and receiving significant private foundation grants
• Persuasive, compelling communication skills, especially in the written form
• Exceptional attention to detail and project management skills
• Preference for candidates with Salesforce experience
Salary and Benefits
This role reports to the Development Director and will work closely with the Development Associate, Executive Director, and Program Directors across the organization. This is a full-time position based in Oakland, CA. Salary is comparable to similar organizations in the Bay Area with a range of $68,000 to $75,000 annually. NCYL provides health, dental, life, short and long-term disability insurance, sabbatical, sick, and vacation benefits, and an employer contribution to a 403(b) retirement plan.
How To Apply
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through June 11, 2018. Submit a cover letter and resume to apply. No phone calls or emails please.
NCYL is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Applicants of color and those who will increase the diversity of NCYL are strongly encouraged to apply.