ABOUT THE EAST BAY COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
Founded in 1928, East Bay Community Foundation (EBCF) is one of the nation’s first community foundations. Named the country’s “boldest” community foundation in 2019 by Inside Philanthropy, EBCF is dedicated to employing innovative strategies to advance an inclusive, fair, and just East Bay through four core program strategies:
• Arts and Culture for Social and Racial Justice
• Capacity Building with a Racial Equity Lens
• Community Organizing, Power Building, and Movement Building
• Fostering Inclusive Economic Models
With a strategic regional focus on Alameda and Contra Costa counties, EBCF works towards its framework of “A Just East Bay,” which includes grantmaking, impact investing strategies,
and a new way of taking steps to build solidarity among donors and community. We commit to employing all our resources to serve our mission and push beyond industry norms to offer
uniquely impactful opportunities for our fund advisors to help build economic equity for all. Join EBCF in eliminating structural barriers, advancing racial equity, and transforming
political, social, and economic outcomes for all who call the East Bay home for generations
East Bay Community Foundation operates in an employee-driven hybrid work model: Employees can use EBCF’s office space in downtown Oakland any number of days per week. The policy is subject to change.
For more information on the East Bay Community Foundation, please visit ebcf.org
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
East Bay Community Foundation seeks a bold, equity-centered, and relationship-oriented leader to join our Leadership Team as Vice President of Human Resources & Facilities Management (VP of HR & Facilities). This senior-level position will lead the organization & human resources with high emotional intelligence, proactivity, and trust and oversee operations with a focus on facilities and administration. The Vice President of HR & Facilities is a strategic thought partner to the President & CEO and Leadership Team and will promote staff engagement, internal equity, performance management, and a culture of wellness and belonging. The Vice President of HR & Facilities will work collaboratively with other leaders across the foundation to formalize key policies and practices that align with EBCF’s values, mitigate organizational risk, and foster the professional development of staff.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities:
Human Resources Policies and Compliance
• Lead all HR functions, including employee relations, performance management, and leadership development, to build a culture of equity and belonging, support high morale, and ensure a positive employee experience.
• Ensure EBCF complies with contemporary HR practices for functions such as recruitment, onboarding, retention, offboarding, benefits, compensation, and workplace safety policies and procedures (including COVID-19) by using data to diagnose problems and develop and implement policies and practices.
• Work with the Finance team to manage relationships with TriNet, EBCF’s Professional Employer Organization (PEO), to manage payroll and obtain and provide competitive and cost-effective employee benefits plans and programs while working collaboratively with our CFO.
• Partner with the President & CEO to align strategic priorities and critical people policies and functions across the organization, including talent development, organizational development, and change management plans.
Culture and Community
• Partner with the Leadership Team to enable the overall success of all-staff meetings as part of cultivating a collegial, collaborative work environment.
• Build a robust team-based environment that enables ongoing collaboration with healthy accountability up, down, and across the organization.
Learning and Development
• In partnership with other leaders and people managers, create systems and processes that enable staff at all levels in the organization to continue to learn, grow, develop, and adapt.
• Strengthen the capacity of managers throughout the organization to lead more effectively, providing coaching and guidance.
• Provide strategic partnerships to offer racial equity learning opportunities across the foundation.
• Ensure staff-wide communications about people, culture, and equity are clear, engaging, and values-aligned.
• Establish, review, and modify policies, practices/procedures, and systems and lead the development of an equity-centered performance management process that centers supervisory training for people managers and designing differentiated staff support and training opportunities.
• Manage the team responsible for ensuring facilities in Oakland serve as a hub for staff to collaborate and perform their duties.
• Manage the team responsible for operating the EBCF Conference Center as a community resource.
The Vice President of HR & Facilities reports to the President & CEO and directly supervises a team of three, including the HR Manager, the Managing Director of Operations & Facilities,
and the Operations Coordinator.
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
• At least 10-15 years of human resources experience, inclusive of senior leadership and HR strategy, is required, preferably within philanthropic and/or nonprofit settings
• Demonstrated ability to plan and think strategically; set and achieve realistic goals and objectives; balance multiple priorities; and leverage data/evidence to inform decision-making with excellent attention to detail and follow through.
• Experience building, managing, training, and driving a high-performance culture centering organizational values and employee engagement with care, kindness, integrity, and creativity.
• Demonstrated experience with racial justice practices and policies within an organization.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and utilize sound judgment and discretion when handling sensitive and confidential information and situations.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, listening skills, ability to facilitate challenging conversations, and judgment in communicating within a variety of settings across a variety of global cultures.
• Knowledge of best practices for communication in virtual/hybrid environments and/or a global workforce and experience in conflict resolution a plus.
• Direct experience or interest in managing staff resources inclusive of a conference center and operations of a people-centered office environment.
• Comfort with technology, including selecting, learning, and implementing new technologies that enhance systems and culture.
• Knowledge of California employment law required with knowledge of or aptitude to learn applicable laws in other states a plus.
• Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) or Human Capital Strategist Certificate (HCS) or SHRM-SCP certification is strongly preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $175,000 – $190,000.
EBCF offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement savings plan with a 5% employee match, group term life insurance, disability insurance, 15 days of paid time off in year one, 20 days in year two and thereafter, sick leave, and 17 paid holidays per year. Plus, a Flexible Spending Account, an Employee Assistance Program, an annual professional development budget, commuter benefits, and a matching gifts program.
COVID-19 Vaccination: All employees are required to adhere to EBCF’s COVID-19 policies.
ABOUT THE APPLICATION PROCESS
EBCF is excited to partner with Walker and Associates Consulting – an Oakland-based strategic management consulting and executive search firm with more than 25 years’ experience recruiting and placing leaders working to advance social justice – on this search. To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references (candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to references) to email@example.com on or before 5:00 p.m. PT on August 8, 2023. A combined PDF is preferred. Use the subject: VP of HR & Facilities.
Questions or Nominations? Contact Jeannine N. Walker, President and CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The East Bay Community Foundation (EBCF) is an equal opportunity employer committed to racial justice and equity. EBCF does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law and is an employment-at-will organization. The Foundation welcomes and encourages people of color, women, LGBTQIA+ people, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups to apply.