Established in 1945, The Pittsburgh Foundation is one of the nation’s oldest community foundations and is the 13th largest of more than 750 community foundations across the United States. As a community foundation, our resources comprise endowment funds established by individuals, businesses and organizations with a passion for charitable giving and a deep commitment to the Pittsburgh community. The Foundation has approximately 2,000 individual donor funds and, together with its supporting organizations, assets of more than $1.14 billion. Grantmaking from the funds benefits a broad spectrum of community life within Pittsburgh and beyond with more than 2,000 grantees receiving funding annually. The Foundation typically awards grants of more than $40 million each year. Grantmaking from the Foundation’s discretionary funds leverages a broad range of resources and enables the Foundation to be an important change agent for the region. Approximately 85 percent of all grant-making dollars stay within the Pittsburgh region.
Development Officer will work with other members of the team to attract, cultivate and maintain strong relationships with professional advisors, new and current donors for purposes of engaging individuals in charitable giving and by building the foundation’s assets by establishing new funds. Receives general supervision from Director of Development. Provides moderate supervision of a Development and Donor Services Assistant coordination with the Director of Development.
- Identifying and developing relationships with professional advisors regarding charitable giving and services offered through the foundation to assist them with their client’s gifting.
- Conducting vigorous external relations programs (including but not limited to personal contacts, written communications and promotional programs) to increase funds and planned gifts, to donors and professional advisors including financial planners, financial consultants, trust officers, attorneys, accountants etc. and their clients.
- Developing and implementing speaking schedule to professional and lay groups.
- Serving as Donor Services Representative for donors as assigned. Initiating and maintaining active personal contact, written communication and other activities with donors and their representatives so that they may properly exercise stewardship of their funds. Developing a working knowledge of the donor advised fund grant and gift process, grant distributions, spending policy and planned giving.
- Identifying, cultivating and securing current and future gifts from individuals and their families, private foundations, corporations and businesses, nonprofit organizations, and civic and social organizations.
- Work with the Director of Development and Senior VP for Development to engage donors in the mission of 100% Pittsburgh (strategic philanthropic plan).
- The officer will lead or participate in projects to form partnerships and engage advisors and donors in the Center for Philanthropy, when appropriate
- Providing staff support for advisory committees as assigned; representing the Foundation at special events; executing administrative or programmatic tasks as assigned by the Vice President.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree or equivalent experience preferred. A minimum of five years’ experience in sales, , planned giving, trust services, wealth management or donor-centered fundraising; experience working with professional advisors, and working with financially sophisticated donors and/or high net worth individuals;
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; ability to be an effective public speaker; ability to establish effective relationships with prospective donors, current donors, professional advisors, board members and community foundation staff members.
- Knowledge of deferred giving vehicles related to charitable giving and tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets, and estates.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in working with highly sensitive and confidential information and with diverse donor and prospect populations.
- Ability to work independently and develop new business opportunities, take initiative and participate as an effective team member. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience with databases and office productivity software such as Raiser’s Edge, Microsoft Office or donor/contributions databases.
- A passion for community involvement and philanthropy, an entrepreneurial spirit, experience working as part a team, a high level of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Genuine interest in the western Pennsylvania community and a dedication to promoting the Foundation’s mission.
- Sense of humor.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to email@example.com
No phone calls please.
THE PITTSBURGH FOUNDATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION.