The Nellie Mae Education Foundation (NMEF) seeks a visionary, strategic, and transformational leader as its next President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO). Headquartered in Quincy, MA, and the largest philanthropy in New England dedicated exclusively to education, NMEF has assets in excess of $500 million and a staff of 18 committed to ensuring that all New England youth have access to excellent and equitable public education that prepares them to succeed and thrive.
The CEO will serve as a major philanthropic thought leader on education equity and justice, significantly supporting a strategy to build sustainable resources for a regional education justice infrastructure that supports school and system transformation. Working with the Board of Directors and senior management, the CEO will provide strategic and organizational leadership for NMEF, ensuring operational alignment with the strategic plan. Importantly, the CEO will think systemically about NMEF’s role in determining the ideal balance of achieving direct impact through grant making and influencing, networking, and convening to magnify the power and funding capacity of NMEF to support schools and system transformation.
The successful candidate will be a passionate, energetic, and innovative leader who possesses the following:
- Substantial professional experience in a strategic leadership position with a deep understanding of education systems;
- Formal academic preparation, including a bachelor’s degree or higher, along with higher level training and/or certification in fields related to education, philanthropy, and/or nonprofit management, or demonstrable lived experience commensurate with leading an organization of the size and complexity of NMEF;
- Strong background in education research, policy, and practice and an understanding of the dynamics of education organizing and advocacy;
- Experience in racial equity policies and demonstrated success in advancing change in this space;
- Ability to develop substantive partnerships and build relationships with a wide variety of leaders from diverse backgrounds including grantees, community leaders, and other philanthropic organizations;
- A record of innovative leadership and a demonstrated commitment to place-based philanthropic strategies; and
- A successful track record in leading nonprofit organizations and collaborating with non-profit boards, and skilled at identifying, recruiting, and engaging board members, senior staff, and community members.
The annual salary for this role will be based on a range, starting at $425,000 and commensurate with the successful candidate’s skills and experience. NMEF provides health care, dental, and vision benefits, as well as a flexible paid time off policy.
We strongly encourage applications from traditionally marginalized groups — including people of color, women, members of the LGBTQ community, and other marginalized communities – as we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do.
How To Apply
Nellie Mae Education Foundation has retained Diversified Search Group to assist in this recruitment. To express your interest in this role, please submit your materials here. Nominations may be submitted by email to NMEFCEO@divsearch.com. All nominations, inquiries, and discussions will be considered strictly confidential. The full position description can be viewed at https://diversifiedsearchgroup.com/search/president-and-ceo-nellie-mae-education-foundation/ For best consideration, please submit all applications, nominations, and inquiries by January 9, 2023.