Launched in October 2018, VOW for Girls is an innovative new social change initiative that aims to galvanize the public and socially conscious brands to raise awareness of and create funding to prevent and end the international child marriage crisis. Co-founded by global human rights activist Mabel van Oranje and Ford Foundation President Darren Walker, VOW seeks to create new and sustainable resources to support the 12 million girls’ futures at risk of child marriage each year.
VOW is seeking a VP of Development (reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer) to fully build out and operationalize a best-in-class development office. The Vice President will develop and manage an active portfolio of high-net-worth individuals and foundation stakeholders, with a special emphasis on maximizing unrestricted revenue and core support. He/she/they will model best practices around prospect/donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies, and foster a collaborative, innovative approach to engaging and upgrading funders over time. The Vice President will assist in the recruitment and manage one Development Coordinator who will be responsible for the administrative support of VOW’s individual and foundation resource mobilization, as well as managing a small portfolio of mid-level individual donors and prospects.
- Builder: You understand how to navigate and communicate with foundations, funds, high-net-worth individuals, and other various stakeholders and are able to motivate individuals at various levels to invest in and support VOW’s model.
- Innovator: You know how to design strategies for positioning VOW within foundation portfolios, demonstrating business value, and identifying opportunities for shared impact. You can see the long-term vision for the organization and are able to develop a comprehensive, innovative, and actionable strategic plan for VOW’s development department with a focus on raising millions to support VOW’s operations.
- Leader: You are a thoughtful leader and you are able to coach others involved in cultivating VOW donors while retaining an eagerness to learn. You are aware of how to manage to people’s strengths, and your goal is to help others become the best they can be.
- Establish annual and long-range funding goals and benchmarks for a managed portfolio of individuals and foundations, maximizing unrestricted revenue from the portfolio while modeling best-in-class, innovative approaches to pipeline development and funder management.
- Monitor and report on all key performance metrics (including financials), providing updates and insights to internal stakeholders to ensure alignment and pacing towards targets and goals.
- Support the involvement of the CEO and other VOW staff and Board members in high-level, high-touch individual and foundation solicitations and relationship management with briefing materials, agendas, background research, and appropriate follow-up.
- Facilitate the involvement of VOW’s Board and Advisory Council members in relationship building and relationship management activities as required and appropriate.
- Synthesize VOW’s campaigns, initiatives, and projects into clear, compelling proposals and reports for individuals and foundations that serve to communicate VOW’s effectiveness as a global movement builder, strongly making the case for unrestricted/core support.
- Oversee maintenance of CRM records for the wider portfolio to develop and maintain relevant knowledge management processes that contribute to comprehensive tracking of and reporting on VOW’s individual and foundation stakeholders.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
ROLE QUALIFICATIONS Success in this role means meeting most, if not all, of the following needs:
- You have at least 10+ years of high-net-worth individual and foundation development/fundraising experience and a proven track record of closing multiple six- and seven-figure gifts.
- You have experience meeting and exceeding ambitious team and personal revenue goals and performance indicators, as well as participating in financial projections, reporting, and scenario planning.
- You have a proven ability to define and implement critical near-term and long-term revenue generation strategies concurrently.
- You have experience leading complex funder relationship development and management strategies in a global context: experience of philanthropy, foundation, and/or corporate relations in North America essential; experience of donor engagement, solicitation, and management in other important funder markets relevant to VOW would be useful (e.g., UK, Europe).
- You have the ability to lead on translating broad organizational vision and strategies into specific objectives and operational delivery plans while being able to respond quickly to changes in short-term priorities.
- Your experience demonstrates an intuitive understanding of how large organizations work and an ability to quickly speak the language of different companies across various sectors and industries.
- You are equally comfortable in both strategy and execution with a high-quality standard and the ability to manage multiple projects at a time while paying attention to details.
- You are an active leader at the company-wide level, sharing knowledge and interest in emerging concepts and practices in the field of strategic philanthropy and/ or foundation relations, and are able to identify philanthropic sector trends and opportunities to inform VOW’s approach to external stakeholder engagement.
- You’re an incredible communicator. You have strong, persuasive, and compelling interpersonal skills with superior written and oral communication and presentation abilities, including experience speaking to and writing for sophisticated individual philanthropists and foundation executives.
- You want to help build an organization, taking VOW from an early-stage startup to a global philanthropic initiative. You thrive in fast-paced, ambitious environments. You work hard and you have fun while you do it
- You have a passion for gender equality and girls’ rights coupled with the spirit and drive of a social entrepreneur.
- You have exceptional judgment and emotional intelligence. You’re a careful listener and can read the room. You demonstrate personal integrity and dedication.
- You are prepared to travel on occasion.
- You hold a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field.
VOW offers a generous benefits package, including:
- Paid time off which includes 15 vacation days and 14 paid holidays, as well as personal and sick leave
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for the staff member and family
- 401K match of 1% that vests immediately
- 12 weeks paid parental leave (available after 6 months of employment)
- Home office setup stipend
COMPENSATION The salary range for this role is $120,000-$150,000. This range is for illustrative purposes only and salary offers are commensurate with experience.
LOCATION Location is flexible. VOW for Girls is based in New York City and we are open to candidates who are located near a major airport and willing to travel on occasion.
How To Apply
To apply, send your application by Friday, January 21, 2022, to email@example.com with the subject line “VP of Development.” Your application should include your resume and a cover letter.
VOW is committed to racial equity and social justice and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities to provide a wide range of perspectives, ideas, views, and insights into the strategy, policies, culture, and ambitions of VOW for Girls. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.