Capital B is a startup nonprofit local and national news organization serving Black audiences in Atlanta and across the country (and coming soon in Gary, IN). We are seeking an experienced, energetic senior development professional to lead our development team and aggressively build upon Capital B’s early fundraising success. The head of development will be responsible for maintaining and growing our philanthropic budget by soliciting major gifts and foundation grants and directing the operations of our overall development team.
This role presents a special opportunity to help build a sustainable future for Black news, supporting the efforts of Capital B’s journalists to bring high-quality, trustworthy reporting to our audiences.
The head of development will not only manage an existing portfolio of donors and foundations but seek to actively expand that portfolio by leading a program of rigorous prospecting, research, relationship-building and innovation. This position reports to the chief revenue officer and works closely with the executive team. Some travel is required.
- Steer all aspects of Capital B’s institutional and major gift giving, from relationship management to grant writing and reporting to prospecting
- Manage development team — a full-time staff of two, plus any outside consultants or freelancers
- Work closely with CRO & CEO to develop and execute multi-year plans around outreach, pitching, and goals to align with annual budget needs and growth strategy
- Collaborate regularly with:
- CRO on special projects grants, corporate giving, and event revenue
- Chief audience officer on our small donor membership program, maintaining an understanding of its operations in order to create, own, and execute a clear advancement strategy for the program list, and to align on semi-annual drives and giving campaigns
- Editorial leadership to maintain an up-to-date understanding of Capital B’s editorial plans and mission, and for potential donor meetings
- Finance and operations team on grant reporting, project budgets, and revenue forecasting
- Manage the ownership and updating of all fundraising materials — from pitch decks to cases for support
- Organize 2-3 virtual and in-person convenings for current and prospective funders a year
What You’ll Bring:
- 8+ years of experience in fundraising, donor relations, or related field
- Management experience and a track-record of growing philanthropic revenue for an organization
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM software
- A detail-oriented and highly organized approach to daily and long-term work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to write and edit compelling donor communications.
- Strong analytical skills and experience with prospect research.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with donors, staff, and volunteers.
- Flexibility and willingness to get your hands dirty with a growing, start-up development team
- Creativity, boldness, and innovative ideas about how to build the pipeline of journalism funders
- Experience with or in journalism organizations, preferably
- A deep understanding of the importance of journalism for our democracy and how
- Black audiences and storytelling fit within that imperative — and the ability to craft a pitch about these issues that resonates with donors
What We’ll Bring:
- A compassionate, supportive workplace
- Unlimited PTO + company holidays
- 20 weeks parental leave
- 12 weeks caregiver leave
- Dental, health, and vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Health and dependent care flex plans
- Short-term disability
- Professional development fund
- Monthly phone and internet stipend
- Please submit your resume and a cover letter telling us why you’re the right person for this role by May 22, 2023.
- Capital B is open to candidates with a diversity of experience, and we know that some very strong candidates won’t have all of the qualifications we list. Don’t be shy — apply.
How To Apply