The mission of the Sacramento Region Community Foundation is to transform our community through focused leadership and advocacy that inspire partnerships and expand giving. As the trusted steward of charitable assets, a community catalyst for meaningful change and the advocate for shaping vital impact through philanthropy, we provide leadership and work with others to produce a thriving community exemplified by opportunities for all to:
- Reside and work in a vibrant economy
- Benefit from a strong nonprofit sector
- Flourish through the strength of our diversity
- Live with a sense of dignity and self-worth
The Donor Services Officer (DSO) is a key member of the Foundation’s team of professionals who are focused on providing our donors (fundholders) with the highest level of service in support of their charitable giving. The DSO leads the way for the organization in terms of addressing donors’ needs, while connecting them to the community and each other in ways that will enrich their experience of giving through the Foundation. The DSO is responsible for flawless documentation of charitable intent and interaction with donors, while acting as the guardian for adherence to policies that affect donors. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Chief Marketing & Development Officer (CM&DO).
The DSO and all Foundation employees are responsible for supporting our mission, which is to transform our community through focused leadership and advocacy that inspire partnerships and expand giving. Additionally, the DSO will:
- Provide Foundation donors with high quality stewardship by being responsive to their needs, fostering personal relationships and ensuring easy access to information, as required to enhance donors’ satisfaction with the Foundation and the effectiveness of their charitable giving.
- Work with the Marketing & Development team to cultivate prospective new donors and manage the pipeline of prospects in process.
- Working with the Senior Marketing & Development Associate, prepare fund agreements and establish new funds on the central database (FIMS). Ensure that all new fundholders receive welcome packets and are properly informed about working with the Foundation.
- Create and/or oversee opportunities for donors to interact with Foundation staff, board, and key constituents, including high-touch programs and events.
- In collaboration with the Impact team, maintain a broad knowledge of the nonprofit community, including Foundation initiatives, and use this knowledge to build and maintain relationships with donors.
- Working with the Marketing & Development team, implement communication strategies and provide materials and technology to enhance donors’ satisfaction with their philanthropy through the Foundation.
- Work with Marketing & Development team to identify opportunities for donor recognition; draft articles and stories for print and digital communications.
- Collaborate with Marketing & Development team to create strong relationships with professional advisors.
- Support new and prospective nonprofit funds in their efforts to grow their endowments.
- Provide special services as needed to affiliates and nonprofit fundholders to support their donor relations and stewardship efforts.
- Take an active role in the maintenance of complete and accurate records on donors and funds on the central database (FIMS). Act as the guardian of donor intent in all matters, especially with respect to Legacy and/or Field of Interest Funds.
- Collaborate with Finance team and Administrative Coordinator to ensure the timely and accurate acknowledgement of gifts.
- Write timely acknowledgement letters on behalf of the Board chair for major and special gifts.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance of all funds and fund agreements. Participate in special fund review projects (e.g., inactive funds, support fee changes).
- Create and document policies and procedures that relate to donor interactions with the Foundation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse individuals and groups. Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work independently and to take initiative, and participate as an effective team member.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office and have the ability to become adept at using our internal donor management system.
- Experience with Blackbaud or other donor prospect management platforms preferred.
- Demonstrated writing skills
- Community Foundation experience preferred
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational ability; ability to multi-task, track multiple projects, meet deadlines and set priorities.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required for special events, meetings, etc.
- A passion for community involvement and philanthropy, infectious enthusiasm, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
How To Apply
The Sacramento Region Community Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Position will be open until filled. Interested applicants are requested to submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary based on experience. Competitive benefits package offered. No phone calls and no recruiters please.