Minnesota Philanthropy Partners are The Saint Paul Foundation, Minnesota Community Foundation, F.R. Bigelow Foundation, Mardag Foundation and more than 2,000 charitable organizations and donor funds. Together we provide charitable and financial expertise, connections and services to help all people and communities in Minnesota thrive.
The investments team stewards the assets of Minnesota Philanthropy Partners and allied organizations. This experienced team has deep expertise in asset management services for foundations and nonprofit organizations. The team works closely with investment committees and professional asset managers to ensure the long-term growth of Minnesota Philanthropy Partners and its affiliates. The director of investments is a senior member of a small team that invests $1.3 billion of charitable capital across multiple foundations, numerous portfolios/strategies and investment relationships. The director of investments represents and advances the organization’s mission, vision and values.
This position is responsible for:
Investment Manager Due Diligence and Monitoring
- Write recommendations and share knowledge regarding markets and managers with vice president, investments team and investments committee.
- Perform ongoing monitoring and due diligence on current investment managers.
- Proactively source and evaluate minority owned and majority investment managers across broad range of asset classes; maintain pipeline of prospective managers.
- Perform due diligence on prospective managers including analysis of investment strategy, track record, manager competitive advantages/weaknesses, risk management, operation, team strength, reference checks, review of audited and unaudited financial statements, and review of investment documents.
- In conjunction with vice president, review economic trend data and stay current with general capital market developments.
- Support strategic investment planning by performing asset class research and portfolio level analysis in support of asset allocation, portfolio construction and future investment commitments.
- Oversee Individually Managed Funds and Financial Institution Partnerships portfolios including new manager due diligence, quarterly monitoring and additionally as needed, annual reviews and annual investment reporting to finance & operations committee.
- Serve as member of Foundations’ retirement plan and charitable trust committees. Monitor and perform due diligence on investment options as assigned.
- Manage Administrative Fund’s short-term cash pool investments.
- Research and develop perspective on mission investing. Participate in assisting Foundations to develop approach to mission investing.
- Initiate transfer of funds between investment managers to fund new managers, capital calls, grants, or reallocation of assets to maintain asset allocation target for assigned portfolios
Staff Assigned Investment Committees
- Effectively support and collaboratively work with committee chair to develop annual committee work plan, meeting topics and agenda and provide appropriate leadership.
- Provide overall committee meeting support including preparation of meeting agenda and materials, draft minutes and implement action items, etc.
- Meet with donors and prospects; present Foundations’ investment portfolios and investment strategy in conjunction with philanthropic services team.
- Serve as back-up to investments operations for daily operations and perform other duties as assigned.
- Actively participate in improving business processes and use of investment management software.
- Assist with annual audit of financial statements; review draft investment footnotes and financial statements and assist in work plan preparation as required.
- Develop and deliver ongoing investmenst training for new and existing employees.
Position requirements include:
- Passion for institutional endowment investing
- 10+ years of relevant experience working in investments within a foundation, endowment, family office, pension, fund of funds, wealth management or other investor or direct investment experience; familiarity with UPMIFA, donor advised funds, charitable trusts
- Advanced degree and certification preferred (e.g., CFA, CAIA, MBA, CPA)
- Strong understanding of and experience in capital markets, portfolio construction and management, asset allocation theory and modeling, alternative assets, benchmark analysis and performance measurement
- Experience performing research and analysis on various investment topics and conducting manager due diligence and monitoring
- Ability to present capital market opportunities/issues and investment managers to investments team and investments committees
- Demonstrated sales/customer relations experience with donors and prospects, presenting investment portfolio and capital markets information
- Curiosity and keen attention to detail
- Excellent problem-solving analytic abilities
- Self-starter with strong leadership, organizational, time management and people management skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills and experience with investment management databases
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact, communicate, and collaborate with people from cultural backgrounds other than your own. The work of our organization changes as we continuously seek to have greater impact. All team members must be flexible and able to adapt to short- and long-term shifts in job duties.
We are committed to hiring individuals who contribute to the cultural diversity of our workplace. Our hiring decisions are guided by our equity value: embracing differences, seeking to eliminate racism and other forms of discrimination, and striving to create a workplace in which everyone matters.
To view a position profile and to apply online, visit our website at: https://www.mnpartners.org/about_us/job_openings