The Bush Foundation is a place-based, private foundation based in St. Paul, Minnesota. Established in 1953 by 3M executive Archibald Bush and his wife, Edyth, the Foundation works to inspire and support creative problem solving — within and across sectors — to make our region better for everyone. To do this, we invest in great ideas and the people who power them in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and the 23 Native nations that share that geography. Learn more at bushfoundation.org.
More Good Every Year. We are a true learning organization and work to be smarter and more effective every year. We never lose sight of the reason we exist: to do the most possible good with the resources left to the community by Archibald G. Bush.
Spread Optimism. We encourage individuals and organizations to think bigger and think differently about what is possible. We are positive and supportive in our internal and external interactions.
Work Beyond Ourselves. We actively seek opportunities to work in true collaboration with others to have more impact. We are willing to both lead and follow. We candidly share what we learn with others.
Everybody Matters. We are a champion for both excellence and equity inside and out of the Foundation. We have fair, open and inclusive processes. We work to raise overall quality of life while also closing opportunity and achievement gaps.
Steward Well. We demonstrate appreciation for the Foundation’s history and thoughtfully build on its legacy. We hold ourselves to high standards of integrity and accountability and conduct ourselves in a way that we hope would make our founders proud.
We’re seeking a talented, collaborative and can-do person to join the Bush Foundation as Program Operations Associate. The right person for this new position is process and people oriented with great technical, project management and administrative skills — someone who gets excited when they discover a better or simpler way to do something and relishes sharing that discovery. Experience with Salesforce or another Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system is a must so we can optimize the use of the technology in our program operations. Our organization has a strong commitment to both equity and learning and we look for people who share this commitment and are energized by both.
The Program Operations team provides foundation-wide leadership, coordination and expertise in grant making, technology and operations so all employees have the resources, information, and assistance they need to do their best work. The team’s goal is to ensure that our grantmaking practices are equitable, simple, supportive, and strategic to maximize impact in our region.
The Program Operations Associate leads the operational and administrative elements of the Foundation’s grantmaking data system (Salesforce) to ensure grantmaking programs make the largest impact possible in the communities we serve. This position plays a key role in data management, serving as a champion and technical expert for CRM activity across the Foundation and is responsible for a range of technical, administrative and logistical activities that advance our ability to do effective grantmaking.
Core Responsibilities & Key Relationships
- Coordination and execution of technical and programmatic activities in Salesforce for our primary grant programs (Community Innovations, Bush Fellowship Program, Ecosystems), in close partnership with the Program Operations Coordinator, Program Operations Officers and Grantmaking Coordinator.
- Train and support employees and partners to understand and correctly enter information into our grantmaking data system and other data collection systems.
- Ensure data fidelity and alignment with our program workflow/design.
- Create and monitor reports and dashboards to ensure program data is recorded in the grantmaking data system.
- Technical and administrative coordination of programmatic activities in Salesforce.
- Provide general organizational and administrative support for the Program Operations team. Manage operational tasks, including maintaining, refining and documenting processes.
- Provide back up and support for key grants administration tasks, in close collaboration with the Grants Administrator.
- Work closely with the IT Strategy and Solutions Manager on changes and new features within Salesforce to support program goals.
- Participate as a member of the Foundation’s internal Salesforce team.
- Participate in cross-foundation work, backing up and supporting other teams as needed.
- Actively demonstrate core organizational values in performing all duties.
- At least three years’ experience in an office environment working with complex data systems. Significant familiarity with Salesforce or another CRM as a proficient end user.
- Project Management training or certification a plus.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and customer service skills, with experience engaging and supporting a broad and varied group of people. Comfort working with all levels of organizations. Highly approachable.
- Experience training and coaching in groups and one-to-one settings.
- Passionate about how data can help improve program design and implementation.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and a proactive thinker.
- Comfort with and ability to navigate ambiguity.
- Willingness to take on new opportunities and challenges with curiosity, energy and enthusiasm.
- Organized and highly detail-oriented, with the ability to prioritize and keep varied tasks and projects moving simultaneously. Excellent, timely follow up with others, seeking input or asking for help as needed. An active problem solver.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Able to work independently with minimal direction.
- Able to effectively work with people from a wide range of perspectives, experiences, and cultural backgrounds.
Reports to: Joanna Ramirez, Program Operations Director
Classification: Full-Time, Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Starting salary: Annualized salary of $82,794 based on a 40-hour work week.
Benefits: We offer excellent benefits, including health, dental, life and disability insurance; generous retirement contributions; professional development and vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Location: This position is Twin Cities-based. The Foundation’s office is located in St. Paul, MN. We are a place-based foundation with a focus on serving the people in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and the 23 Native nations that share that geography. All employees must live in the region we serve. Currently, 32 of the Foundation’s 35 employees live in the Twin Cities.
Work Context: We work in a hybrid environment, with a mix of virtual and in-person work. Our focus is on flexibility, with a few important connection points that help us strike a good balance of independence and connection. Twin Cities-based staff work on-site every Wednesday, with one additional ‘connection and learning’ on-site day each month. Once a quarter, staff who live outside the Twin Cities travel to our St. Paul offices for those two on-site days. Staff are welcome to work in the office more frequently if desired.
Schedule & Travel: This role may require schedule flexibility and occasional travel in the region (up to 10%) to participate in events or meet priority deadlines.
To Learn More
We will be recording a brief video to introduce the Bush Foundation and the job. The closed caption recording will be posted on our website by September 27 at https://www.bushfoundation.org/job-opportunities.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Talent@BushFoundation.org. In order for us to see your application quickly, please put ‘Program Operations Associate: [your name]’ in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please describe your interest in this specific position and the experience you have had that aligns with the qualifications for the job. Tell us a story about a problem that you took on that required a mix of technical, organization and interpersonal skills. What was the problem? What did you do and why? How did it turn out?
We will be accepting applications until Monday, October 16th at noon (Central Time). We will start reviewing applications as soon as we receive them and strongly encourage early applications.
The Bush Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.