With more than $1.5 billion in assets, the San Francisco Foundation is one of the largest community foundations in the country. The foundation is committed to expanding opportunity and ensuring a more equitable future for all in the Bay Area. Together with its donors, the foundation distributed $154 million to nonprofit organizations last fiscal year. The San Francisco Foundation serves Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo Counties with some initiatives, including this one, serving the nine-county Bay Area.
Reports To: Policy Fund Initiative Officer of the Partnership
The Partnership for the Bay’s Future (“the Partnership”), an effort of the SFF, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, the Ford Foundation, and Facebook, along with a growing and diverse set of private, public, philanthropic and community partners from across the region, is committed to creating a more accessible, equitable and prosperous Bay Area for all the region’s residents by addressing the interconnected and urgent crises in housing, transportation, and economic opportunity.
The Partnership seeks to develop a strong regional network – a cross-sector of leaders and partners with a common understanding of the housing, transportation, and economic opportunity-related challenges facing the region, a shared regional agenda of potential solutions, and a collective commitment to advancing the agenda and moving solutions forward through leadership, collective action, and the investment of resources.
This limited term (five years) position of Associate Initiative Officer (AIO) is a full-time position that reports to the Policy Fund Initiative Officer of the Partnership. The AIO will provide support to the Initiative Officer in the areas of the program, administrative, policy, and fundraising activities of the Partnership, in order to achieve the Partnership’s strategic goals.
- Manage administration and partner relationships for key component projects of the Policy Fund, including within the regional grant program
- In coordination with the Initiative Officer, lead the implementation of strategies toward the achievement of the Policy Fund goals
- Codify Partnership processes, assist in the development of Policy Fund processes and ensure their alignment with SFF infrastructure.
- Contribute to Partnership-specific communications mechanisms (newsletter, listserves, etc.) for various audiences, including other philanthropic organizations, public agencies, decision-makers, prospective funders, and NGOs at workshops, conferences, donor forums and briefings
- Coordinate convenings of and communications with, community-based organizations, project partners, local government, developers, funders and other key stakeholders
- Work with the Partnership Director, Policy Fund Initiative Officer, and evaluation consultant to develop measurements and track the impact of work across grants and the initiative at large.
- Track housing policy at the local and state level for its implications on regional systems change.
- Represent the Partnership in select regional discussions and community meetings as requested
- Assess knowledge and research in the field and coordinate research and reports as needed
- Provide backbone support to Advisory Board for the Investment and Policy funds, and the State & Regional Policy Fund Working Group, coordinating with working group co-chairs to shape meeting trajectory and outcomes, create materials and other support as needed
- Support the Initiative Officer with the coordination of the Partnership’s grant-making, including:
- Work closely with the Initiative Officer to assist in the management of the grantmaking of the Partnership’s Policy Fund, including reviewing proposals and participating in the implementation of the Funds’ grantmaking programs.
- Participate in face-to-face meetings, telephone contact, and written correspondence with grantees
- Support the Partnership Director with fundraising and administering the day-to-day activities of grants received, including:
- Track funders’ required deliverables, including reports and proposals, to ensure they are completed on time
- Collect content and draft progress and final reports for the Initiative Officer and Director’s review
- Ensure compliance with internal SFF proposal procedures
- Develop materials to support the Director in fundraising activities, including fundraising proposals, funder meetings, and funder events as requested.
Undergraduate degree strongly preferred but will consider the extent of experience if necessary.
Minimum of five years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the non-profit, philanthropic or public sector. A successful and positive track record working in culturally and ethnically diverse communities.
Experience with project and program management, relationship building, fundraising, policy and data analysis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies
- Demonstrated personal integrity and commitment to this work and the ability to engender trust, credibility and confidence with a variety of internal and external constituencies, including funders. Skilled in critical thinking, diplomacy and discretion.
- Excellent listener and communicator with a passion for learning and a commitment to excellence.
- Comfortable within a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated experience in taking initiative and leadership related to the development of projects and programs and relationship-building
- Knowledge of housing and community development, policy and systems change, community organizing and advocacy desirable.
- Computer literacy in the Microsoft environment, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
Commensurate with background and experience in addition to a competitive benefits package.
The San Francisco Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
How To Apply