The 11th Hour Project, a program of The Schmidt Family Foundation, seeks a collaborative, passionate, creative, and inspiring Communications Associate to be part of a small, hands-on team developing and leading the execution of the foundation’s communications strategy and brand across platforms.
ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
Established in 2006 by Wendy and Eric Schmidt, the Schmidt Family Foundation (TSFF) works to restore a balanced relationship between people and the planet. TSFF pursues its mission through three innovative and thoughtful strategies: 1) The 11th Hour Project, 2) the Impact Investment Program, and 3) Schmidt Marine Technology Partners. The Schmidt Family Foundation is a private foundation with growing assets of over $2 billion and an impact investment portfolio of approximately $160M of AUM.
For more information on the Schmidt Family Foundation, visit www.tsffoundation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The 11th Hour Project / TSFF seeks a collaborative, passionate, and creative Communications Associate to support general communications and content production efforts for the Schmidt Family Foundation, with a specific focus on both Schmidt Marine Technology Partners’ and 11th Hour Project’s program areas and grantees. The Communications Associate will work closely with the Communications Manager and other team members to develop and execute a comprehensive communications strategy that promotes the foundation’s mission and values, engages with its various stakeholders, and raises awareness of and engagement with important social and environmental issues. Broadly speaking, this entails supporting the creation of content on platforms and channels that amplifies the work of both SMTP and 11th Hour Project grantees/investees and inspires engagement/activism among new audiences.
In partnership with the Communications Manager, the Associate will work with and across teams to develop thoughtful narratives and content strategies to engage existing and new audiences with the work of our staff, grantees, and partners to ensure consistent and compelling communications. While one of the primary focuses will be on creating and managing a social media presence for TSFF, the Associate will also support other communications such as email newsletters, integrated campaigns, press releases, and other storytelling formats.
Our team is highly collaborative and driven by an unwavering sense of mission, purpose, and dedication to our grantees/investees. We’re looking for someone who is eager to combine their digital media and brand-building experience with a strong commitment to social and environmental justice in service of purpose-driven content. The person who will succeed in this role is someone who is passionate about centering our grantees/ investees’ voices, able to adapt to the foundation’s evolving processes and needs and invested in developing the foundation’s visibility and voice in a differentiated and compelling way.
The Communications Associate will be guided by this key question: how might we use our collective creativity to elevate the foundation’s work and impact?
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and implement communications plans and campaigns that promote the foundation’s initiatives, programs, and events across various channels, including social media, email marketing, and press releases
• Create and produce high-quality, compelling content for various communication channels, including social media posts, blog articles, and email newsletters
• Take primary responsibility for social media publishing platform, Sprout, including defining KPIs for social media campaigns, engaging with partners and followers, and facilitating approvals and production of posts
• Assist with the development and distribution of internal communications materials, such as reports, newsletters, and announcements
• Work collaboratively with other team members to ensure consistent messaging and branding across all communication channels
• Monitor and analyze metrics related to the foundation’s communications efforts, and use data to make informed decisions about future communications strategies
• Manage relationships with external partners, such as media outlets and vendors, to ensure effective collaboration and coordination of communications efforts
• Assist with special projects and events as needed
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
● At least 3-5 years of related experience in communications, social media, marketing, or public relations, preferably in the non-profit sector
● Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with a proven track record of creating engaging content for a variety of audiences
● Knowledge of and experience with various social media platforms, email marketing software, and website content management systems; direct experience with Sprout is a plus
● Excellent organizational and project management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
● Ability to work collaboratively with others in a team environment as well as individually with a high level of self-motivation
● High emotional intelligence and relationship-oriented skills such as critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills to coordinate professionally with a number of diverse internal and external stakeholders
● A demonstrated passion for the foundation’s mission and a commitment to social justice and equity
● Consistently strong attention to detail and a commitment to high-quality work
● Flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced environment
● Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or a related field (or equivalent experience)
● Lived experience within Native American, BIPOC, and / or rural communities a plus
Don’t exactly fit the description? Research shows that certain demographics, especially women and other marginalized groups, tend to only apply for a job when they meet all the criteria. If this role sounds like a great fit for you but you don’t meet every item on the checklist, we’d encourage you to apply anyway!
COMPENSATION AND LOCATION
The Schmidt Family Foundation offers a competitive salary range of $100,000-$130,000, commensurate with experience, and a best-in-class benefits package, that will be shared during the process. The position is based in the San Francisco Bay Area with a hybrid in office/remote model with majority in-office time. The ideal candidate will be already located in the Bay Area or willing to relocate.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, email a cover letter that expresses both your passion for the mission and fit for the role; resume; and list of three references (candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to your references) to email@example.com on or before 5:00 PM PT on August 7, 2023. Use the subject line: Communications Associate. Submit Microsoft Word or PDF files only (one combined PDF file is preferred). Resume review begins immediately.
Questions? Contact our recruiting partner for the position: Jeannine N. Walker, Walker and Associates Consulting, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Schmidt Family Foundation is an equal-opportunity employer that values and supports diverse identities, experiences, and backgrounds. We encourage people from all backgrounds and industries to apply.
Furthermore, we believe that diversity fosters greater social, operational, and programmatic sustainability. Through our grant-making and related investments, we’re committed to expanding and deepening our relationships with organizations led by BIPOC leaders in our community.