The Organization: Careers in Nonprofits
The Director of Development will facilitate and assist in leading the Development team’s fundraising efforts and growth. Reporting to the Chief Development & Communications Officer, you will play a key role within the department and organization by directly managing and leading a team focused on individual giving, managing and maintaining a portfolio of major gift donors, and advising on a growth strategy to increase philanthropic support across revenue channels.
As Director of Development, you will directly lead a team focused on individual giving, donor stewardship, and purposeful events as well as support broader efforts engaging prospects, managing pipelines, creating effective narratives, closing gifts, and executing high-quality cultivation, solicitation and stewardship processes. You will be responsible for making sure that the organization’s individual donor revenue goal of $6M+ annually is met or exceeded, which contributes to the Development Department’s overall annual fundraising goal of $14M+.
You possess top-notch relationship-building and management skills, with an ability to build rapport with staff, donors, volunteers, board members, and partners. You’ll bring a dynamic leadership style and an outcomes-oriented approach to this new role.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 7+ years of nonprofit fundraising experience, including experience with and track record of personally closing six- and seven-figure gifts
- 5+ years of people management experience
- Ability to successfully work with multiple stakeholders with an eye toward collaboration, alignment, and high service
- Innovative, results-oriented with strong attention to detail and ability to manage the pipeline process
- Organized and metrics-driven, flexible and open to trying various approaches, using data to inform strategic direction and decision making
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, confident with public speaking
- Ability to lead, willingness to be led and comfort with situational leadership; good at listening and giving/receiving feedback
- Collaborative nature with the ability to work closely with Chief Development & Communications Officer, Development Team, Department Heads as well as with a board of directors to accomplish tasks and initiatives
- Adherence to the AFP code of ethical standards
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office required; familiarity with Raiser’s Edge CRM database helpful
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
How You Will Spend Your Day:
- Meet or exceed personal revenue goal of between $750,000 and $1.5M annually
- Lead team of 4-7 direct reports in meeting or exceeding individual revenue team goal of $6M+ annually (supporting efforts to reach or exceed Development team’s goal of $14M+)
- Develop and execute the overall fundraising strategy in partnership with the Chief Development & Communications Officer
- Drive individual fundraising activity and manage the team to clear goals and performance metrics
- Communicate pipeline progress and status to goal to critical stakeholders on a consistent basis
- Partner with and leverage other departments and individuals to provide training and support to the Development team
- Use analytics to make data-driven decisions and fine-tune processes
- Drive team performance, communicating and setting clear goals and expectations
- Manage team in a collaborative, team-based environment, thinking through individual staff and team’s roles and growth to maximize the philanthropic potential of the organization
- Embody a leadership style that empowers the strengths of all team members
- Work closely with organization leadership and relevant functional areas to ensure alignment to goals, strategy, process, and cross-team collaboration
How To Apply
We’d love to hear from you.
If this sounds like the job for you, we would love to help make that happen. Please submit a resume to email@example.com with “Director of Development” in the subject line.
Know a friend who would be a great fit? Feel free to send us their resume as well.