The Levi Strauss Foundation, founded in 1952, advances pioneering social change on the issues and events of our time. Its community partners across the globe reflect and bring to life Levi Strauss & Co.’s institutional values: originality, empathy, integrity, and courage. As a corporate foundation with family roots, it aims to take courageous risks in service of these values and strives for meaningful impact over the course of decades, with its core program areas focused on advancing social justice and improving the lives of apparel workers and the communities in which they live and work.
The Program Manager is essential to our success: you will play an important role in ensuring that the Levi Strauss Foundation’s grant-making efforts are aligned with the Foundation’s mission, values, and goals. We are seeking a creative, strategic, and collaborative partner to develop strategies and carry out grant-making to advance the goals of our social justice portfolio.
About the Job
- Identify and recommend grant support organizations that advance the strategies of the social justice portfolio.
- Review and analyze grant proposals and financial documents to determine strategy alignment, organizational capacity, and effectiveness.
- Perform programmatic and financial due diligence for grant proposals.
- Prepare and present cogent analytical grant recommendations.
- Monitor the performance of active grants within assigned portfolios.
- Contribute to reports that communicate the alignment of grantee activities with portfolio goals and strategies, including grant recommendations, analyses, and other documents.
- Maintain and build content expertise by staying abreast of current research, data, and trends in the social justice field, and by attending and participating in relevant convenings and conferences.
- Perform research and other assignments.
- Communicate LSF priorities and procedures to grant-seekers and respond to goal- and priority-related inquiries from grant-seekers and the general public.
- Represent LSF at relevant conferences, meetings, and briefings.
- Facilitate conversations between grantees and LSF and the LS&Co.; identify opportunities to spotlight grantees’ work.
- Propose and write stories on LSF for Threads and Unzipped.
- BA degree preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in project development, nonprofit management, community organizing, fundraising, philanthropy, or strategy development.
- Strong project management skills, including organization and attention to detail.
- Solid understanding of the social justice space and the philanthropic, public, and nonprofit sectors.
- Current knowledge of developments in the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors and the social justice field.
- Strategic, critical, and creative thinking skills, including the ability to synthesize large amounts of information into a coherent, vision, strategy, and plan.
- Financial literacy to understand grant budgets and financial statements.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize duties: must work well under pressure, balance multiple and competing demands, complete work accurately under deadlines, and follow tasks through to completion.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a strong customer service orientation, and a desire to work in a collegial, team-oriented environment.
- Excellent analytical, research, reasoning, problem‐solving, and decision‐making abilities.
- Superb written and oral communication skills, including solid presentation abilities.
Currently, LS&CO requires proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of commencing employment, except in those jurisdictions where prohibited by law. Medical or religious accommodations, or other exemptions that may be required by applicable law, will be approved when properly supported. Further information is provided during the recruitment process.
We put a lot of thought into our programs to provide you with a benefits package that matters. Whether it is for medical care, taking time off, improving your health, or planning for retirement, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a small snapshot:
- 401K match: $1.25 for every $1.00 you contribute up to the first 6% of pay you save.
- Five hours of paid volunteer time per month with nonprofit organizations
- Product discount of 60% off regular-price merchandise
Levi Strauss & Co. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category. Minorities, females, people with disabilities, and veterans are highly encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
This is a hybrid role located in the Bay Area that includes working from the Levi Strauss office in San Francisco (Levi’s Plaza) two to three days per week.
Apply through the Levi Strauss & Co. website.