The Energy Foundation
Energy Foundation (EF) serves the public interest by building a strong clean energy economy. EF promotes non-partisan policy solutions that advance renewable energy and energy efficiency while opening doors to greater innovation and productivity—growing the economy with dramatically less pollution.
We are a complex, multi-site, multicultural nonprofit organization with big plans for the future. Now into the tenure of a new CEO, EF has embarked on a major strategy refresh, a prioritized commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), and rapid geographic expansion.
Energy Foundation’s founding office is in San Francisco, CA, with regional offices in Raleigh, NC; Chicago, IL; Washington, DC; and Las Vegas, NV.
· In this role you will be responsible for all finance, budget, audit, and compliance matters organization-wide.
· You serve as a key resource to the Management Team and the Audit Committee of the Board, providing strategic engagement, annual budget analysis, timely financial statements and reports and accurate input on financial matters.
· You lead a finance team of five: Controller, Revenue Analyst, Accounts Payable and Payroll Coordinator, Finance and Grants Assistant, and EF China Finance Manager.
· Lead with a cohesive, “whole organization” approach that prioritizes collaboration, proactive engagement across the organization, and flexible, cooperative problem-solving to ensure that EF’s headquarters, regional, remote, and international offices have the support they need on the budget process, compliance, financial systems and reporting, donor reporting, and financial questions.
The Ideal Candidate
· Strategic and functional expert who can see beyond the numbers to why they matter.
· Thinks holistically about the organization they serve
· Builds relationships proactively; interacts and shares information collaboratively
· Confident in their knowledge and not afraid to collaborate with peers to make decisions that will improve methods or policies for all.
· Communicates with excellence in a diverse, dynamic, and complex environment with regional and remote offices
· Has a successful track record of rigorous financial management—along with very strong accounting, compliance, audit, and financial analysis skills
· Prior experience holding final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting, and audits
· A minimum of 8–10 years’ experience in progressively responsible, hands-on accounting and financial management roles.
· An understanding of nonprofit accounting practices and regulations, including the 990-tax return process, revenue recognition, and current requirements for determining proper classification.
· Ideally, work experience includes some combination of philanthropic or nonprofit organizations, private sector, government, and/or social enterprises across diverse cultures and geographies.
· Familiarity with systems including Salesforce, Concur, Adaptive, NetSuite, Fluxx, Box, Google Docs, and advanced Excel expertise.
To view the full position profile, please visit the following link: https://waldronhr.com/searches/energy-foundation-sdf.
How To Apply
To Be Considered
Energy Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered, please go to Waldron’s Candidate Portal and submit your resume and a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role: https://careers-waldron.icims.com/jobs/1116/senior-director%2c-finance/job.