The Organization – The Kresge Foundation
The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 private philanthropic foundations in the United States and the only one focused exclusively on expanding opportunities for people with low income in American cities. With an endowment of approximately $4 billion and a staff of over 100 employees, the foundation deploys grants and social investments across arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development. The foundation’s state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting systems. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
About the position
The Finance Operations Specialist is responsible for managing key financial processes across the Kresge Foundation. This role works cross functionally with Foundation colleagues, suppliers, and the finance team in ensuring efficient internal controls and accurate financial transactions. This position is also responsible for identifying financial process improvements and opportunities to automate or outsource various processes.
· Review and process accounts payable, expense reports, grants, matching gifts and program-related investment payments while requesting and maintaining accurate vendor information needed for tax reporting and payment purposes.
· Maintain several general ledger accounts and transactions of the organization, applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and thorough review and approval of financial transactions.
· Perform monthly program-related investment transaction posting and reconciling.
· Record assets in the fixed asset system, reconcile and maintain fixed asset inventory schedules.
· Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting.
· Prepare supporting schedules for the audit, budget and tax return.
· Process corporate credit card payments and review receipts submitted by cardholders on a monthly basis.
· Process weekly deposits and post monthly cash entries.
· Process monthly café charges, reconcile café ticket purchases and post monthly entries.
· Perform monthly and annual accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries as required.
· Perform general account analysis and reconciliations as requested.
· Prepare and file 1099’s. Respond to inquiries and notices accordingly.
· Lead a robust training program for current staff and new hires joining the Foundation on expense reporting, supplier and partner engagement and invoice processing.
· Develop and maintain job role specific accounting policies and procedures.
· Gain and share knowledge and expertise on key financial business processes.
· Work cross functionally to maintain appropriate internal financial controls.
· Proactively identify financial process improvements and opportunities to automate or outsource various processes.
· Drive, cultivate, and lead partnerships and collaboration with internal stakeholders.
· Strong commitment to the Foundation’s vision and values with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
· Secure and maintain various record keeping documents.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Associates’ degree in Accounting, Finance or other related field required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
· Minimum of two years of accounting experience.
· Experience administering policies and processing payments for travel, expenses, and accounts payable, required.
· Demonstrated knowledge of accounting principles.
· Advanced skill level with Excel.
· Working knowledge of PC-based accounting software and Microsoft Office Suites.
· Knowledge and experience working with accounting software, Great Plains preferred.
· Experience working with an expense, travel, and invoice system, such as Concur, preferred.
· Experience working with a contract management system, such as ContractPodAi, preferred.
· Experience working with outsourced business process firms such as Blackbaud Your Cause, Oakbranch or BNY Mellon, to troubleshoot issues as needed, preferred.
· Demonstrated progressive knowledge on key business financial processes.
· Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Solid technical and analytical skills with the demonstrated ability to look through data for patterns, trends and outliers and making decisions on what solutions to implement.
· Demonstrated strong organizational and planning skills, with excellent attention to detail.
· Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and organize efficiently.
· Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in engaging the cooperation and interaction of others.
· Demonstrated ability to display a consistently collaborative and cooperative work style while providing exceptional customer service.
· Passion for problem solving with ability to work within agreed upon guidelines and policies while also solving more nuanced issues.
· Demonstrated commitment to championing issues of equity and inclusion.
This position is full-time. The starting salary for this position begins at $78,828.00 per year. Individual offers will be based on the candidate’s years of experience and our practice of upholding salary equity within the foundation.
The application deadline for this position is Midnight EST on January 7, 2024.
The Kresge Foundation COVID -19 Vaccination Policy requires all employees to be “up to date” on the COVID-19 vaccination. The Foundation defines “up to date” as having received two primary doses of the Pfizer-BioNtech or Moderna vaccine or one primary dose of the J&J vaccine and any booster dose(s) when eligible. Proof of vaccination must be provided prior to the first day of employment. If you believe you need a disability or religious accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act regarding the vaccination policy, you are responsible for requesting an accommodation prior to your first day of employment by notifying Human Resources. Employment will be contingent upon the outcome of the accommodation review process.
This position is located in Troy, Michigan and currently has a hybrid schedule. Tuesday and Wednesday are the standard in-office days, however, there may be times when you will have to adjust the days based on work needs.
This position requires occasional travel for foundation activities, events and professional development activities.
Some of the benefits include:
· Health, dental, vision and life insurance
· Paid time off
· Half day Fridays
· 401k and 401k matching
· Tuition reimbursement
· Life, accident and disability insurance
Kresge is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The Kresge Foundation participates in E-Verify to confirm authorization to work in the United States. For more information on E-Verify and to know your rights please click here.
How To Apply
please click the link below to apply: