The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 private philanthropic foundations in the United States and the only one focused exclusively on expanding opportunities for people with low income in American cities. With a $4.2 billion endowment and a staff of over 100 employees, the foundation deploys grants and social investments across arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development. The foundation’s state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting systems. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
About the position
The Staff Accountant is responsible for providing support to the Finance Department. This position maintains and controls the general ledger accounts and transactions of the organization, applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) that includes analytical work and thorough review of financial records. This position supports the Deputy CFO and Controller, Finance team and other internal staff.
· Review and process accounts payable, expense reports, grants and matching gifts while maintaining accurate vendor information.
· Process corporate credit card payments and review receipts submitted by cardholders on a monthly basis.
· Process weekly deposits and post monthly cash entries.
· Process monthly café charges, reconcile café ticket purchases and post monthly entries.
· Perform monthly program-related investment transaction posting and reconciling.
· Record assets in the fixed asset system, reconcile and maintain fixed asset inventory schedules.
· Perform general account analysis and reconciliations.
· Perform monthly and annual accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses and recording of adjusting and reclassification journal entries as required.
· Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting.
· Prepare supporting schedules for the audit, budget and tax return.
· Prepare and file 1099’s. Respond to inquiries and notices accordingly.
· Secure and maintain various record keeping documents.
· Develop and maintain job role specific accounting policies and procedures.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Strong commitment to the Foundation’s vision and values with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
· BA/BS degree in accounting or finance required; Master’s preferred.
· Two-five years of accounting experience, preferred.
· Experience with information systems and data visualization, preferred.
· Knowledge of accounting principles and excellent verbal and written skills.
· Working knowledge of PC-based accounting software and Microsoft Office Suites.
· Knowledge and experience working with accounting software, Great Plains preferred.
· Advanced skill level with Excel.
· Solid technical, analytical, organizational and planning skills with excellent attention to detail.
· Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and organize efficiently.
· Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability in engaging the cooperation of others.
· Displays a consistently collaborative and cooperative work style.
The Kresge Foundation COVID -19 Vaccination Policy requires all employees to be “up to date” on the COVID-19 vaccination. The Foundation defines “up to date” as having received two primary doses of the Pfizer-BioNtech or Moderna vaccine or one primary dose of the J&J vaccine and any booster dose(s) when eligible. Proof of vaccination must be provided on the first day of employment. If you believe you need a disability or religious accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act regarding the vaccination policy, you are responsible for requesting an accommodation on your first day of employment by notifying Human Resources. Employment will be contingent upon the outcome of the accommodation review process.
The application deadline for this position is Midnight EST on December 4, 2022.
This position currently has a hybrid schedule with remote work from home up to 3 days per week.
Kresge is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
How To Apply