Job Title: Director of Development & Communications
Salary Range: $100,000 – $120,000
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Starting: March 2022
Status: Full Time (40 hours/week)
Deadline to Apply: January 28, 2022
About Generation Hope:
Generation Hope is a nonprofit organization with a mission to ensure all student parents have the opportunities to succeed and experience economic mobility by engaging education and policy partners to drive systemic change and providing direct support to teen parents in college as well as their children through holistic, two-generation programming. To date we have provided nearly $1 million in tuition assistance, supported 275 teen parents in college, celebrated more than 100 degrees earned through our program, and built relationships with 20+ two and four-year institutions around the DC Metro region as well as other institutions across the country. For more information, please visit: www.generationhope.org.
We are one of the “best non-profits in the region.” Read below to learn why.
By joining our team, you will be working for an organization named “one of the best nonprofits in the Washington, DC region” by the Catalogue for Philanthropy. Not only do we live out and operationalize our values, we have done the work to create a culture that truly supports every member of our staff. The best part of our organization is the people, from the families we serve to the team we have deliberately cultivated. We strive for excellence while understanding the most valuable asset that we have is our people. We celebrate diversity in all of its forms, including thought, professional and lived experiences, race, gender – even taste in music. If this sounds like a mission and work environment you would like to contribute to and grow with, please consider joining our team.
Goal: Meeting Our Budget
● Creating and implementing a multi-year development plan that tracks and monitors progress toward short- and long-term fundraising goals.
● Maintaining oversight over all fundraising activities including major giving, individual giving, foundation relations, grants, fundraising events, direct mail appeals, corporate partnerships, government funding, and gift recognition programs for first-time donors, monthly donors, etc.
● Establishing, cultivating, and maintaining relationships with current and prospective funders and donors through various means (personal meetings, thank you calls, “insider” emails, periodic, virtual coffee chats, etc.) and providing support to the CEO to interact with funders and donors on a regular basis (i.e. creating briefing documents, prepping emails, etc).
● Refining and executing a strategy that supports a growing major gifts program including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
● Supervising and reviewing the performance and development of the Communications Manager and the Grants & Foundations Manager and leading a growing team to ensure the success of Generation Hope’s fundraising and communications efforts.
● Keeping track of all grant revenue including proposal deadlines, new opportunities, report submissions, and ensuring the Grants & Foundations Manager is researching grant opportunities, writing proposals, and drafting reports per funder requirements.
● In partnership with the CEO and COO, working with the Board of Directors, including the Development Committee, on development-related projects and ongoing fundraising efforts.
● Overseeing donor-focused events including virtual experiences, major fundraising events, and intimate cultivation events that occur throughout the year, and managing consultants to execute these events as needed.
● Working with the program team to identify opportunities for corporate partners to engage holistically in Generation Hope’s work.
● Researching trends in the field to support team learning, coordinating stewardship of existing foundation donors, and identifying and strategizing around new funding sources to meet ambitious fundraising goals.
Goal: Maintaining Our Budget
● Overseeing the planning, writing, and reviewing of all grant reports by working with the Grants & Foundations Manager and other members of the development team.
● Developing and monitoring the Development Department’s budget and expenses.
● In collaboration with the Operations team, working to ensure that donor records are populated and accurate in Little Green Light (CRM tool) to execute ongoing communication to donors. This includes ensuring that all grant budgets are being properly tracked and reported on to funders.
Goal: Increasing Awareness
● In collaboration with the communications team, developing Generation Hope’s internal and external communications strategies, including traditional and social media
● Providing oversight of Generation Hope’s brand to support the goals outlined in Generation Hope’s new three-year strategic plan.
● Connecting strategic communications with values-aligned brand development and fundraising to drive organizational growth, resource building, and national positioning of Generation Hope within relevant circles of thought leadership.
● Ensuring that the annual development plan is aligned with the annual communications plan and editorial calendar and that all plans and calendars include responsibility and timeline for achievement.
● Signing off on all graphic design products created internally and externally to ensure they reflect best design practices as well as the look and feel of Generation Hope’s brand.
● Participating in speaking engagements to share information about Generation Hope with the external audiences.
● Building positive, long-term relationships with direct reports and conducting weekly individualized and meaningful one-on-one coaching sessions with each direct report as well as regular team meetings to get to outcomes and to support their professional development.
● Serving as a thought partner to direct reports and providing and soliciting feedback while also modeling transparency and oversight of individual and organization performance standards.
● Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; and participating in professional societies.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Must embrace the mission of Generation Hope.
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● Five or more years experience in fundraising required (including donor cultivation, grant writing, and special events) with a proven track record of raising funds from diverse sources, including major gifts from individuals, foundations, corporations and government agencies (some combination of these).
● A minimum of two years experience in communications/public relations/marketing required.
● Knowledge of the funding community in the Washington, D.C. metro area and beyond, including national funders.
● Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes and a results-oriented culture.
● Strong written and verbal communication skills.
● Strong interpersonal, supervision, administration and management skills.
● Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
● Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
● Embrace getting out of the office and building external relationships.
● Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
● Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
● Operate with integrity and ethics at all times.
● Display a positive attitude, sound judgment, professionalism, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, and good listening ability.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
● Familiarity with donor tracking systems.
● Ability to work with diverse groups of people.
● Resourcefulness, creativity and strong problem-solving skills.
CANDIDATES MUST RESIDE IN WASHINGTON, D.C., VIRGINIA, OR MARYLAND BEFORE THE EMPLOYMENT START DATE.
Generation Hope provides full benefits, including 403(b), health, dental, and paid time off. More information about the benefits of working at Generation Hope can be found at generationhope.org/careers.
Generation Hope is an equal opportunity employer. Generation Hope will not discriminate on any basis prohibited by law, including marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibility, matriculation, political affiliation, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions, breastfeeding, or reproductive health decisions), age, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, and disability
How To Apply
To apply, please complete the online application. If this link does not work, you can access the application at this URL: https://Generation_Hope.formstack.com/forms/apply_now. Please do not call.