Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has made more than $200 million in grants to support free and fair elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
Democracy Fund is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Associate Director to support the work of the Just and Inclusive Society (JIS) project.
The hypothesis behind the Just and Inclusive Society project is that with diverse organizations and communities working together for a common good, we can create safe and secure communities, decrease polarization, develop a shared sense of national identity, and defend constitutional norms under attack.
The Associate Director will help lead and strengthen the JIS project’s strategy on building societal infrastructure and resilience to division and political violence, with a particular focus on supporting BAMEMSA and immigrant communities, litigation/legal services/legal education, domestic peacebuilding efforts, and philanthropic partnerships. In this position, the Associate Director will also help interface and coordinate with Democracy Fund’s other programs, other foundations, and with field leaders and organizations.
The Associate Director reports to the JIS Program Director and will help manage a growing team of staff and initiatives across the JIS project. This role will have a particular focus on strengthening grantmaking processes, internal communications, and team operations. The Associate Director will help launch our emerging strategies, support learning and team growth, and contribute to shaping Democracy Fund’s emerging strategy and position in the field.
The Associate Director must be an exceptional collaborator, communicator, and project director. This role also supports the work of Democracy Fund Voice, a separate social welfare organization. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with the Just and Inclusive Society Program Director to lead overall efforts in our project, including management of staff, consultants, programming, and grantmaking.
- Manage a portfolio of grants with other program staff, including identifying, shaping, and preparing grants for consideration by the Program Director, foundation investment committee, and board of directors.
- Monitor the field and engage in outreach to develop a pipeline of new grantees who can help meet the goals of the strategy as it shifts.
- Build meaningful relationships with current grantees and support them to be as effective as possible.
- Through events, communications and network building, maintain and support communities of practice that foster collaboration across grantees and partners to expand impact.
- Support the Program Director in tracking key impact metrics and monitor the field for learning and systems change. Actively use that data and input to realign strategies and tactics as needed.
COMMUNICATION & OUTREACH
- Represent Democracy Fund publicly at events and in partnerships in a manner consistent with our mission and values.
- Strengthen philanthropic partnerships within the Just and Inclusive Society project by maintaining strong relationships with partner funders, developing new relationships, and advising donors and foundations.
- Drive more funding aligned with Democracy Fund’s goals and in support of our grantees.
- Develop and establish the thought leadership of the Just and Inclusive Society project.
TEAM LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT
- Collaborate with the Program Director and Program Associate to set ambitious, motivating, and realistic priorities for the Just and Inclusive Society project and its impact on the field.
- Develop, manage, and contribute to cross-team and cross-organization programmatic efforts and special projects.
- Empower direct report(s) to do their best work by providing ongoing guidance, coaching, and feedback on their core day-to-day responsibilities, project management goals, and overall professional development.
- Collaborate with the Program Director on how the Just and Inclusive Society project works with consultants in support of strategies.
- Serve as a leader within the broader organization by helping develop meaningful cross-team collaborations and participating in strategic planning. Serve as a liaison between the Just and Inclusive Society project and other Democracy Fund departments including the Grants team and People team.
- Actively work to support the success of other members of the Democracy Fund team and cultivate an organizational culture that is highly collaborative, positive, and productive.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Passion for strengthening American democracy.
- Nuanced understanding of issues related to racial justice, immigration, civic engagement, advocacy, civil rights and civil liberties.
- At least 8 years of experience working in roles that engaged questions related to multiracial democracy, at-risk and targeted communites, racial justice and advocacy, litigation/legal services/legal education, political violence, and civil rights.
- At least 3 years of demonstrated management responsibilities. Significant experience supervising staff and supporting their progress towards goals. Proven ability to provide useful feedback, develop, and inspire staff.
- Previous grantmaking experience, including developing projects, assessing nonprofit organizations, and managing grantee relationships.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the willingness and ability to communicate and collaborate with diverse leaders and stakeholders from across the political spectrum and different walks of life.
- Strategic thinker and innovative problem-solver, including a proven ability to create and manage organizational change. Must be comfortable with ambiguity and working in a changing and fast-paced environment.
- Track record of successful project management and working across diverse terms. Ability to evaluate, improve, manage, and maintain systems and processes to help teams execute on programs.
- Excels at working collaboratively with staff at all levels to execute duties; proven talent in ensuring positive, proactive, responsive relationships within and across departments for compliance, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Interest in employing a systems approach to change, bringing an ability to synthesize complex, nuanced information and develop innovative solutions. Collaborative, strategic and empathetic, especially when approaching work and planning.
- This position will eventually be based in Washington, D.C. but will begin remotely due to the ongoing pandemic.
Salary range begins at $144,000 per year.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter here: https://democracyfund.applytojob.com/apply/Z6I449zAnI/Associate-Director-Just-And-Inclusive-Society. Applications submitted without a cover letter or lacking the desired number of years of experience will not be considered. Take this as a chance to tell us about yourself and why you’re interested in joining our team. No calls please.