Every professional sports team plays an important role in the civic fabric of its community – authentically knitting together a diverse citizenry in allegiance to a shared fandom. The Washington Nationals are committed to leveraging its powerful, unifying, and highly visible brand to galvanize community engagement that delivers impact greater than the sum of its individual parts.
Nationals Philanthropies is the official charitable arm of the Washington Nationals. Its mission is to champion opportunities for all residents of the Greater Washington region to thrive by inspiring investment in the community. The organization delivers on this commitment by spurring investment in community-based programs that address the disparity of opportunity for residents of the region across a variety of needs.
Since 2007, the foundation has issued over $6.4 million in grants to local organizations. Through its signature program, the Nationals Youth Baseball Academy, the organization operates year round holistic youth development and baseball instruction activities. Since 2013, the organization has invested $37 million for facility construction and annual programming through the Academy.
Organizational growth and community impact requires an increase in our fundraising capacity through stewardship of our loyal donor base, cultivation of new funders, and strategic collaboration across marketing and programmatic staff. The successful candidate for the Manager, Development role will be motivated and passionate about ensuring the organization’s success through stewardship of an existing portfolio of individual and corporate donors, and cultivation of a growing pipeline. Further, the ideal candidate understands the value of demonstrating impact through a clear articulation of measurable results achieved by the organization – both through its own programs and activities as well as in the context of similar efforts regionally, nationally, and across sports philanthropy and youth development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individual Donor Portfolio Management – Steward an existing portfolio of individual mid-level and major gift donors with a focus on sustained annual giving.
- Build relationships with annual donors through consistent communication, programmatic updates, and cultivation opportunities.
- Collaborate on and manage a thoughtful and strategic stewardship calendar such that annual donors remain connected to the mission they support.
- Lead relationship management and solicitations for 50-75 annual individual donors toward a 75% donor retention goal; directly solicit contributions of $2,000-$25,000.
- Work across Development and senior leadership teams to prepare colleagues for prospect, donor, and solicitation meetings, and to respond to strategic opportunities.
- Corporate Donor Portfolio Management – Steward an existing portfolio of largely event-based corporate donors with a focus on continued support and opportunities for expanded partnership.
- Build relationships with annual corporate donors through consistent communication, programmatic updates, and cultivation opportunities.
- Lead relationship management and solicitations for 25-50 annual corporate donors and directly solicit contributions and event sponsorships of $5,000-$25,000.
- Work across Development and senior leadership teams to prepare colleagues for prospect, donor, and solicitation meetings.
- Prospecting and Pipeline Management – Grow the organization’s pipeline of individual and corporate funders, with a focus on sustained annual unrestricted and programmatic support
- Use research tools such as iWave and Foundation Directory as well as prospecting conversations to identify and qualify prospects, building an informed and strategic pipeline across sectors that aligns prospects’ philanthropic priorities with organizational mission.
- Identify donors that respond to mass, grassroots appeals who have increased interest and capacity to support further the mission and programming of the organization.
- Maintain working knowledge of philanthropy landscape, regional and national philanthropic market trends, relevant issue areas, and fundraising best practices.
- Assist in development and execution of strategy to leverage Board support for prospecting, with a particular emphasis on unlocking new individual and corporate funding sources. Prepare prospect and meeting briefs for new and emerging prospects.
- Use Salesforce platform to maintain accurate donor and donation data at all times, including:
- prospect identification, cultivation activities, and next steps;
- prospect and donor communications including special invitations, fundraising events, and similar activities; and
- revenue campaigns and goals, and related opportunity records.
- Donor Reports & Communications – Engage creatively in the development of donor engagement and appeal opportunities for use across marketing and development purposes and target audiences.
- Contribute to key fundraising collateral including but not limited to sponsorship packets, Annual Reports, event recaps, and impact reports.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent military experience
- 3-5 years of work experience in nonprofit development, demonstrated front-line fundraising experience preferred
- Excellent computer skills, with a strong familiarity in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills – ability to deliver clear and compelling communications with internal and external colleagues and stakeholders
- Strong time management and organizational skills with ability to take initiative and follow through
- Ability to think creatively and handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Must be extremely organized with meticulous attention to detail and a skilled multitasker
- Strong client-service orientation with an understanding of how to “manage up” and proactively answer questions before they’re asked
- Experience with tracking and maintaining donor portfolio in a CRM platform (Salesforce.com preferred)
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment
- Position will require occasional weekend and/or evening work
All applicants for employment at the Washington Nationals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections, or who are pregnant, may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.
How To Apply