About Community Change and Community Change Action:
Community Change builds the power and capacity of low-income people, especially low-income people of color, to lead powerful and dynamic movements for social change. With our community-based partner groups, we bridge the grassroots and the national, supporting outsider strategies to disrupt the status quo while also building pathways to influence the insider conversation.
Our vision of a better world centers the leadership of impacted people of color to move our work on immigrant rights, economic justice, and racial equity, including a focus on jobs and housing, early childhood care and education, income supports, and immigration reform.
This position also supports Community Change Action , an affiliated 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. While motivated by the same core values – equity, inclusion, and justice – Community Change and Community Change Action operate independently of one another and each organization has its own board of directors.
The Senior Development Strategist (Grant Writer) assists the Deputy Director of Development Strategy and Senior Writer in raising over $20 million from foundations and major gifts to support Community Change and Community Change Action, with a particular focus on foundation fundraising. S/he is a key member of the Institutional Advancement (IA) team, which works collaboratively across the organization and in close coordination with executive leadership, program colleagues, finance and operations teams, and the communications unit. The SDS (Grant Writer) will produce a large amount of nuanced written material under deadline; participate in foundation strategy development; track deadlines and completion of certain fundraising tasks; and manage information and relationships.
The Senior Development Strategist (Grant Writer) is responsible for sustaining and increasing support from existing funders, supporting the cultivation and solicitation of new funders, writing a variety of funder-focused content, and supporting the team’s writing needs (e.g. editing other writers, writing updates for funder communications, etc.).
Community Change and Community Change Action regard funders as key partners and collaborators, which means IA works closely with program staff, serving as a bridge between programs and funders. As part of this structure, the SDS will be “embedded” in program teams to become deeply familiar with our work on racial and economic justice, jobs and housing, early childhood care and education, income supports, and immigration reform. In collaboration with the SDS (project manager), s/he will:
- Develop subject matter expertise on Community Change programs;
- Work in close collaboration with program directors to translate program objectives into grant deliverables, and make a compelling case to funders to increase support for our programs;
- Support the planning and execution of fundraising strategies and revenue pipelines, working with senior leadership;
- Develop content to support program priorities as part of our 15-year strategic plan, which will include writing grant proposals and reports that set the stage for renewals, as well as case statements, concept notes, organizational and program overviews, and donor updates; and
- Track all funder communications in our constituent and grants management systems.
The Senior Development Strategist (Grant Writer) will be a sharp and persuasive writer who is curious and adaptable. S/he sees fundraising as their contribution to the movement for social justice and is committed to using their work to advance the struggle for immigrant rights, economic justice, and racial equity.
The SDS must build good relationships, internally and externally, and cultivate an instinct for fundraising opportunities and alignment between funders’ interests and our programs. The SDS needs to be able to move at a fast pace and keep track of details and deadlines. S/he should also have a collegial spirit and a good sense of humor. In addition, the ideal candidate will bring:
- Five years of professional experience, preferably with at least one year of grant writing for a non-profit organization;
- Superb writing skills;
- Familiarity with standard methods of foundation solicitation and cultivation;
- Work experience with an organization that represents the interests of communities of color a plus.
- Keen attention to detail, including strong editing skills and familiarity with AP Style;
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce, or other CRM;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required and Google Suite preferred;
- Proven ability to learn quickly, work independently, meet multiple deadlines, and perform under pressure;
- Ability to work and collaborate with diverse staff in person and remotely; and
- Demonstrated commitment to Community Change’s mission to build the power of low-income people of color to fight for a world where everyone can thrive.
This person reports to: Deputy Director of Development Strategy and Senior Writer
Community Change recognizes a staff bargaining unit affiliated with IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in Community Change’s bargaining unit and covered under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
Salary and benefits: $65,000 – $75,000 annual salary. Community Change also offers an excellent benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of annual paid vacation; additional paid holiday leave between December 24 and January 1; 8% employer contribution to retirement account after six months of employment (and 3% employer contribution for the first 6 months); and a choice of generous health insurance plans.
This position is located in Washington, DC.
Closing Date of Position: Open Until Filled
Community Change is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How To Apply:
Please click here to submit a cover letter sharing your personal interest as well as salary expectations, a resume, and two writing samples.