People For the American Way and its affiliate, People For the American Way Foundation, are progressive advocacy organizations founded to fight right-wing extremism and build a democratic society that implements the ideals of freedom, equality, opportunity and justice for all. We encourage civic participation, defend fundamental rights, and fight to dismantle systemic barriers to equitable opportunity.
The Director of Membership & Midlevel Giving leads People For the American Way’s vibrant and growing direct marketing membership program to recruit, renew, and upgrade annual donors through multi-channel fundraising efforts. They will also work closely with the membership and major gifts teams to develop and implement a dedicated strategy for cultivating and stewarding our mid-level donor tier ($500-$5,000). The Director of Membership & Midlevel Giving reports to the Chief Development Officer and works closely with both major gifts and planned giving staff. This position is located in Washington, D.C.
· Lead development of direct mail and telemarketing messaging and strategy for a membership base of over 100,000 active donors
· Develop and execute annual fundraising plan to recruit, renew, and upgrade donors through offline direct response channels
· Serve as liaison with external vendors and consultants to develop strategy and manage campaigns
· Develop and implement multi-channel direct-response marketing strategies to recruit and engage mid-level donors to maximize revenue, including a high-touch direct mail program for mid-level and major donors
· Develop comprehensive reporting and strategic campaign analysis
· Oversee the sustaining member program, using best practices to retain and upgrade sustaining donors and grow the program
· Manage a portfolio of approximately 300 mid-level donors and builds relationships via phone calls, personalized email communications, ongoing written contact, and small events
· Manage robust system to ensure that all donors are thanked in a timely and appropriate manner
· Communicate regularly with program staff to maintain awareness of People For programs and activities in order to effectively market our work to donors
· Ongoing professional development to stay abreast of emerging trends and technology in direct response and cross-channel marketing
· Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree and 7-10 years fundraising experience (or equivalent combination of education/experience); including specific experience with direct-response membership programs
· Exceptional verbal and written communications skills including experience in reviewing direct mail appeals, acknowledgment letters, emails, and other similar correspondence; experience with proofreading
· Ability to manage multi-million dollar budgets, complex mail plans, and data analysis projects
· Strong computer skills, including Word and Excel and CRM/fundraising databases
· Outgoing personality with ability to enjoy direct communication with donors and prospects and the ability to collaborate with other staff and external vendors
· Ability to handle simultaneous projects and manage competing deadlines
- Discretion and mature judgment in handling sensitive and confidential information
· Demonstrated commitment to People For’s core mission
How To Apply
Please send resume to HR@pfaw.org. Please no phone calls.