Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children’s physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 2,000 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 1 million students directly and through professional training services.
At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
This opportunity is for a proactive, flexible and strategic leader with excellent business development and fundraising skills to join a dynamic, high-functioning organization. Through two regional offices (Playworks of Greater Washington DC and Playworks Maryland) we collectively serve 48,000 kids in 99 schools with coaching, consultative partnerships and professional training services across the mid-Atlantic region.
Here’s where you come in:
In the role of Development Director, you will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, primarily focused on the design and execution of a comprehensive development strategy to include new business and relationship development, visibility and stewardship. You will be primarily focused on new business development. You will spearhead strategic partnerships and work closely with both staff and regional Board leadership.
As we look to expand throughout Maryland, Virginia and DC, this role will provide critical leadership in growing partnerships and funds – all geared towards achieving our mid-Atlantic AIM of reaching 87,000 kids and 195 schools by December 2020.
More specifically you will:
Strategy, Business Development & Sustainability
- Work closely with the Executive Directors (EDs), Regional Boards, Development Associates and Program/Development team members to chart Playworks mid-Atlantic’s future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s programs and services.
- Together with the EDs and regional development team, design and execute an annual development strategy to ensure over $1,000,000 in operating support is generated annually.
- Identify, cultivate, and deliver significant gifts from a diverse base of supporters (corporations, foundations, individuals) working in collaboration with the EDs and Board.
- Identify, cultivate, and secure relevant strategic partnerships that drive visibility and funds.
- Provide management and oversight of an innovative corporate sponsorship strategy.
- Manage relationships with a major donor portfolio.
- Solicit government grants as needed.
- Attend, assist and represent Playworks at various key fundraising events/functions, speaking engagements, tours, and other programs.
- Host program visits and seek new relationships in the philanthropic community.
- Prepare regular reports on development progress against targets and work with EDs and Regional Development Team to ensure revenue and fundraising targets are met.
- Leverage and manage development committees and support boards with individual fundraising plans and activities.
Organizational Leadership & Staff Management
- Serve as strategic thinking partner to executive directors and program staff leadership.
- Directly supervise development team and support development team functions.
- Provide coaching, strategic guidance and critical feedback to staff, with a practice of mentorship, respecting the skills, strengths, contributions and challenges of individual team members.
- Collaborate with EDs, development team, training team, program team and program coordinators to cultivate, develop and mobilize the Playworks network – stakeholders, volunteers, donors, Fellows, etc.
Planning, Visibility & External Relations
- Cultivate and steward the local Playworks brand, ensuring consistent communications across the organization.
- In coordination with the mid-Atlantic RPD and EDs (and interns when appropriate), create and/or participate in monthly visibility, event and media opportunities.
- Manage development and communications calendar and lead quarterly annual planning processes.
- Work with staff to integrate assessment and evaluation into all development programs and initiatives.
Administration & Operations
- Monitor progress against monthly dashboards and targets vs developing monthly reports.
- Oversee local Salesforce record keeping and database troubleshooting with staff.
- Work closely with Development Associates and Program/Development Associate to ensure that all operational functions run smoothly.
If you’re a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we’re providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- You will be successful if you are a collaborative and innovative leader, with an understanding of strength-based organizational culture, passionate about Playworks’ mission and committed to education and health reform work.
- The strongest candidate will have direct solicitation experience within the mid-Atlantic.
- Success in this position requires outstanding interpersonal skills.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required and Master’s degree in Public Relations, Business, Sales, Non-Profit Management, Marketing or related field preferred.
- Experience with direct solicitation required.
- Experience leading and managing staff in an innovative, entrepreneurial culture.
- 5-10 years of fundraising and development experience.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build trust within a team, as well as lead group presentations.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
- Strong knowledge of effective fundraising strategies including grant seeking, individual donor cultivation, corporate employee volunteer programs and event production.
- Possess excellent organizational and analytical skills and the ability to multitask and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Proven track record of success in fundraising.
- Tech savvy and familiarity with donor management/engagement systems and online social networks.
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends as needed.
- This position will require travel to various regional locations.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package – great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally.
- Competitive non profit salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the regional Executive Directors.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with employer match, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our region’s youth. So if you’re ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you’ve got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply! Please include:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks, how your experience has prepared you for this role and salary requirements.
- References will be requested.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.