About the Walton Family Foundation
The Walton Family Foundation is, at its core, a family-led foundation. Three generations of the descendants of our founders, Sam and Helen Walton, and their spouses, work together to lead the foundation and create access to opportunity for people and communities. We work in three areas: improving K-12 education, protecting rivers and oceans and the communities they support, and investing in our home region of Northwest Arkansas and the Arkansas-Mississippi Delta. To learn more, visit waltonfamilyfoundation.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Environment Program
Learn more about the Environment Program strategy here.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Walton Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Position: Program Officer
Reporting to: Senior Program Officer, Colorado River Program
Location:Washington DC or Denver, CO
Job Classification: Full-Time; Exempt
The Walton Family Foundation is seeking a skilled, highly motivated, and collaborative individual to join the Foundation as a Program Officer.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the organization to foster an environment where all associates THRIVE and belong. We do this by creating:
- a culture committed to continuous learning that recognizes and values differences
- an environment of respect and connection to learn from the richness of identities, experiences, and perspectives
- fair access for all to opportunities for growth and advancement
About the Position
The Program Officer will help manage a diverse portfolio of local, regional, and national grantees, as well as support strategic projects and initiatives, in service of the Environment Program’s Strategy 2025 goals, with a focus on the Colorado River Basin. The ideal candidate will have experience in project execution and strong interpersonal, writing, and communication skills.
The ideal candidate will bring a growth mindset to the work of executing the mission of ensuring the Colorado River Basin has adapted to a hotter, drier future by restoring and maintaining healthy ecosystems so that people and nature thrive together.
What you will do
Grantee Partnerships & Support
- Manage relationships with grantees and potential grantees including seeking and performing due diligence on proposals aligned with the Colorado River initiative of the Environment program.
- Shepherd proposals through the Foundation’s approval process, as well as provide guidance to and work with grantees to achieve significant impact.
- Assist grantees in developing and implementing maintenance, monitoring, and funding strategies that lead to the achievement of strategic goals.
- Support Senior Program Officer(s) and team with written materials, grantee convenings, and other learning opportunities.
- Manage workflow and processes with grantees, across Foundation offices, and with family members.
- Review budgets for appropriate expenditures, review legal documents, monitor grantee operations, review financial and narrative reports and work with our administrative team to ensure timely payments.
- Provide responsive and thoughtful advising to grantees; be proactive in anticipating needs, and provide accurate, timely resolution of issues when they arise.
- Identify potential new partnerships and opportunities including identifying prospective grantees and funding partners.
Collaboration Within Environment Program & Across WFF
- Collaborate with Foundation colleagues, including members of the Foundation evaluation and communications teams, to implement, refine, and expand the Foundation’s impact.
- Serve on a cross-cutting team of the Environment program.
- Help shape strategy implementation plans aligned with the Environment program.
- Help support other projects and assignments as requested by the Environment team, Foundation leadership, and/or family members.
Who we are looking for
Qualifications required for your success
- A bachelor’s degree; relevant master’s degree or higher preferred.
- At least 5 years of work in a relevant field.
- Excellent written communication skills with experience in producing both brief and longer written products in a timely fashion for internal and external audiences.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills with experience conveying complex issues to internal and external audiences.
Personal attributes that support your success
- Ability to act as a trusted advisor to principals and colleagues while demonstrating expertise and integrity.
- You are helpful, a team player, and show respect while collaborating with others.
- You are results oriented and exercise sound judgment in your work.
- A lifelong learner who is inquisitive and has the ability to anticipate issues and problems in advance and propose possible solutions with bold thinking and innovation.
- A visionary who plans for the future with imagination and wisdom.
- You are dedicated to achieving excellence and work with others to tackle the tasks at hand.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion goals for both working internally with Foundation colleagues as well as externally with diverse grantees and partners.
- Ability to give and receive feedback graciously.
- Demonstrated success in building effective relationships and networks to achieve results.
- Intellectual agility and the ability to analyze, think critically, and understand emerging education issues and trends.
- Willingness to travel and equal enthusiasm about building relationships remotely.
All offers of employment are contingent on your successful completion (where permitted by state law) of a confidentiality agreement and background check. In addition, you will need to provide proper identification verifying your eligibility to work in the United States on your first day of work.
Benefits Information* (Colorado positions only)
Compensation Range : $128,000 – $160,000
Benefits Information: We offera comprehensive and generous benefits packagewhichincludes medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401(k)retirementplan and paid time off.
*This information is provided to comply with Colorado Law.
How to Apply
Applications must include an updated resume and a cover letter that explains how previous experiences have prepared you for this role and why this role aligns to your career goals.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.