Position Announcement: Chief Financial Officer – Voices Together
Located in: Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Ask yourself: Do you see the innate potential in every individual? Do you believe music has the power to transform lives? Are you eager to apply your fiscal management and operations skills and experience to strengthen an organization committed to improving the communication and social/emotional learning for people on the Autism spectrum or who are otherwise neurodivergent?
Are you ready to be a part of something very special? Why?
Voices Together, a non-profit organization that uses a proprietary, evidence-based music therapy intervention model to empower people on the Autism spectrum or who are otherwise neurodivergent to transform their own lives, is looking for a Chief Financial Officer (CFO). Voices Together offers its innovative model in schools and communities across the state, with a goal of expanding nationally in the next few years. The Chief Financial Officer is a new position that will allow you to make your mark in this rapidly growing organization during an exciting and transformative time.
What will you do as Voices Together’s next Chief Financial Officer?
Financial Management (75% of your time)
- Perform risk management by analyzing the organization’s liabilities and investments
- Recommend to the CEO investment strategies by considering cash and liquidity risks
- Support and evaluate the organization’s fundraising plans and capital structure
- Oversee all financial operations including donation, grant, and earned income processing; accounts payable and cash disbursements; payroll; tax filings; general ledger postings; monthly reconciliations and analyses; monthly financial reporting; budget monitoring; and external reporting.
- Provide financial forecasting and fiscal analysis to support Voices Together’s strategic goals.
- Establish and enforce compliance with financial policies, procedures, and internal controls, including proper separation of duties and adherence to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and local, state, and federal regulations.
- Lead the annual budgeting process, working with fellow Leadership Team members to prepare revenue projections, operating expenses, capital expenditures, and program and grant budgets.
- Offer recommendations for areas of fiscal growth, reduction of expenses, and risk mitigation.
- Serve as the liaison to vendors providing finance-related services including banking, bookkeeping, annual audit, tax preparation and filing, payroll, issuance of Forms 1099, and other tax reporting requirements.
- In conjunction with the CEO, serve as a primary interface with the Board on financial matters.
Operations (25% of your time)
- Ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of Voices Together’s business operations.
- Offer recommendations for enhancing operations, improving vendor-provided services and maximizing operational investments.
- Manage building lease relationships and ensure office facilities are well-maintained.
- Define, implement, and revise operational policies and guidelines for the organization.
- Develop and execute new growth directives.
- Function as liaison between department heads to ensure company-wide operational compliance.
- Track revenue margins and conduct budget reviews to maximize profits.
- Manage procurement and resource allocation.
Why Voices Together?
The mission of Voices Together is to empower people on the Autism spectrum or who are otherwise neurodivergent to transform their own lives. Voices Together offers a proprietary, evidence-based music therapy model – VOICSS® – developed by founder and CEO, Yasmine White. White founded the nonprofit Voices Together in 2007 to make this unique therapy widely available, particularly to children and young adults who are also economically disadvantaged. Research has confirmed that Voices Together’s evidence-based therapeutic intervention model enables significant improvement in social/emotional learning, communication, and self-advocacy in children, teens, and adults.
A seven-member board of directors represents and advocates for Voices Together in the larger community. Board members serve as fiduciaries of the organization and the mission is advanced effectively. A 13-member advisory council provides valuable insights, support and expertise that inform the growth and development of our programs.
Voices Together has a 25-person staff and a current budget of $2.7M and is expected to continue its trajectory of rapid growth. The organization engages and trains only board-certified music therapists, trained in its model, to deliver this unique and evidence-based therapeutic service. Since 2007, these talented individuals have used VOICSS® to improve the lives of approximately 6,000 neurodivergent children, teens, and adults.
Want to know more? Visit www.voicestogether.org.
Key lived experiences, attributes, and key skillsets sought in the CFO
- Belief in Voices Together’s mission and keen interest and excitement in helping the organization grow
- Formal training and prior leadership team experience in a finance and operations role
- Considerable knowledge of policies, procedures, principles, controls, methods, and techniques of fiscal management
- Strong understanding of, and extensive professional experience, with:
- Accounting/GAAP principles
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Donation processing
- Grant reporting
- Financial analysis
- Financial statement preparation and reporting
- Cash flow management
- Account reconciliations
- Accounts payable
- Banking services
- Experience managing vendors and negotiating contracts, especially in the areas of audit and tax, insurance, human resources, and benefits administration
- Ability to take initiative and bring forward ideas and recommendations
- Propensity to “think big” while still maintaining attention to detail and a willingness to be hands-on to achieve goals
- Commitment to the principles and practices of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- High degree of self-motivation and flexibility, with the humility and attitude to work effectively in a team environment
- Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- An understanding of social entrepreneurship and the ways public and private organizations can work together
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and QuickBooks
How To Apply
Think you are the next Voices Together CFO? To apply, click on the link to the Chief Financial Officer position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. You will see instructions for uploading your compelling cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any technical problems, contact email@example.com. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites.
Review of candidates will continue until the position is filled. Salary is $100,000 annually. Benefits include medical and dental insurance with options for accident, life, and short-term disability insurance; 401K and Roth IRA plans; paid holidays; continuing education; and generous paid time off and sick time.
Voices Together actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates and is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, ability/disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.