THE CALIFORNIA WELLNESS FOUNDATION
The California Wellness Foundation (Cal Wellness) is a private, independent foundation established in 1992 with a mission to protect and improve the health and wellness of the people of California. As one of the largest health-focused foundations in California, with over $1 billion in assets, Cal Wellness is a nationally recognized leader for its strategic core operating support for grantees; public policy grantmaking; and a focus on violence as a public health issue. It is Cal Wellness’ desire to promote equity and level the playing field so that everyone has access to good-paying jobs; healthy and safe neighborhoods; and quality health care services.
The foundation’s current Advancing Wellness grantmaking strategy includes four interrelated portfolios. Since its founding, Cal Wellness has awarded nearly 9,000 grants totaling more than $1 billion. As the foundation looks to the future, it is pursuing new and innovative strategies beyond its core grantmaking to advance its mission, including implementation of new technology systems, development of its public affairs capacity, and establishing mission- and program-related investment portfolios.
Cal Wellness has a diverse staff of approximately 45 located in its Los Angeles and Oakland offices and a diverse 12-member Board located throughout the state of California. The foundation’s work underscores a belief that wellness requires social justice, a deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), and sustained efforts to eliminate systemic barriers that prevent access to health care, education, employment, and safety.
Please visit www.calwellness.org for more information.
The California Wellness Foundation is seeking an analytical, flexible, and collaborative Senior Grants Administrator with a customer service- and detail-oriented nature to support efficient and effective grantmaking operations at the foundation. The Senior Grants Administrator will expand the grants management team’s capacity to facilitate and administer new grantmaking initiatives, including expenditure responsibility, and support data integrity and grants analysis. As a key strategic partner to our Grants Program and Finance departments, the Senior Grants Administrator will be dedicated to helping the foundation make mission-aligned grants supported by data-driven decision making. The ideal candidate will be inspired by the foundation’s mission and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and excited by the opportunity to proactively contribute to the ongoing improvement of new grantmaking initiatives and our grants management system.
THE GRANTS MANAGEMENT TEAM
The Senior Grants Administrator will be an important member of Call Wellness’ tight-knit five-person grants management team led by and reporting directly to the Director of Grants Management. Grants management is part of the larger Operations Department which manages the grantmaking process, policies, and records to improve Cal Wellness’ technological systems and manage our offices. The Senior Grants Administrator will add valuable capacity and expertise and serve as a backup to key roles as the grants management team seeks to meet the expanded operational needs of the Foundation and improve service to internal and external partners. The Senior Grants Administrator will have the opportunity to contribute and grow within a supportive team; in close partnership with other teams including Grants Program and Finance; as well as in interaction with the CEO, the executive management team, and the Board of Directors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Process all types of grants with a focus on and expertise in specialty grants such as new initiatives supporting 501(c)(4) organizations; social enterprises; fellowships; multiyear collaborative efforts funding long-term systems change and impact.
- Support the tracking, monitoring and due diligence for program related investments (PRIs).
- Administer assigned grant recommendations from submission to closing, including data entry and coding; due diligence; scheduling reporting requirements and payments; and ongoing cross-departmental workflow management.
- Prepare grant-related correspondence for review including grant agreements, payment transmittal letters, and reporting notifications.
- Support board member discretionary grants through a board portal.
- Oversee nonstandard grant transactions and other anomalies related to grantmaking (including amendments).
- Maintain a strategic partnership with grantmaking staff throughout the grantmaking process with a special focus on pipeline management and budget allocation tracking.
- Ensure compliance with current IRS charitable giving guidelines and foundation-specific policies.
- Identify issues and proactively and collaboratively explore and deliver solutions that continually improve the grantmaking process.
- Serve as a backup and sounding board for members of the team as needed across the team’s work.
Grant Analysis and Data Management
- Manage overall quality control and data integrity in the grants management system (foundationConnect/Salesforce platform) ensuring accuracy of grant and other CRM-related data.
- Provide system administration focused on optimization and maximum utilization including enhancements of foundationConnect and interface updates.
- Coordinate the Foundation’s Data Governance Committee with a focus on back coding and data quality control.
- Assist with the preparation and production of grantmaking-related reports, memos, and data visualizations including grant allocation reports to inform budgeting and planning decisions.
- Assist in the development of tools and resources to manage grant information and data.
- Respond to grant data requests and inquiries from internal and external audiences including the generation of analysis and reports.
Customer Service, Training, and Project Management
- Communicate with grantees and staff to facilitate timely handling of grant-related matters.
- Provide technical assistance to grant applicants and grantees in the use of our application and reporting systems.
- Assist with writing and maintaining grants management policies and procedures.
- Write and maintain grantmaking guides and training materials.
- Assist in training staff and grantees on technology, policy, and procedure changes that affect them.
- Maintain and create electronic templates (using tools like CONGA).
- Provide project management support for key grants management initiatives.
- Lead or assist with other tasks and projects as assigned.
The ideal candidates will be aligned with our mission and values; possess strong analytical, customer-service, and project management skills; demonstrate exceptional communications skills to translate detailed technical information with clarity and ease for diverse audiences with various levels of understanding; have strong relationship-building aptitude to respectfully develop genuine connections with internal team members and various external constituencies; and embody, through lived experience, applying a DEI lens to our work. Key experiences, expertise, and interests that will contribute to success in this role include:
- Demonstrated mid-level experience in philanthropy, contracting, compliance, library science, or other related fields; explicit grants management experience is a plus.
- Skilled in knowledge management and documentation; data analysis and visualization; and database management with demonstrated ability to learn, use, optimize, and train others on complex software and data tools (experience with foundationCONNECT/Salesforce, Tableau, PowerBI or similar tools is a plus).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Word (advanced Excel skills are a plus).
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills with the ability to handle pressure with poise and respond with grace and flexibility in a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong commitment to accuracy and compliance with innate orientation toward process improvement and an interest in enhancing effective processes and systems.
- Effective project management with the ability to effectively prioritize multifaceted projects and/or change efforts and respond quickly to immediate needs in a way that manages workflow to meet deadlines.
- Effective customer service skills with the ability to balance the needs of internal and external constituencies.
- Excellent team player capable of working independently or collaboratively with flexibility to take on varied responsibilities within the grants management team, with other internal teams, and with external vendors, consultants, and other constituencies at multiple levels.
- Professional demeanor that demonstrates warmth, dependability, responsiveness, knowledge, and credibility.
- Self-motivated, strategic thinker with a strong commitment to collaboration and relationship building.
- Superb written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences; deliver clear and compelling presentations; and maintain high professional and ethical conduct including maintaining confidentiality and exercising discretion.
- Knowledge of current IRS regulations related to private foundations and due diligence processes is a plus.
- Experience with CONGA or similar tools for creating electronic templates is a plus.
The ideal candidate will embody Cal Wellness’ core competencies:
- Live our Core Values: Respect, Integrity, Accountability, Equity, Stewardship, Excellence, Learning, and Trust.
- Drive Towards Innovation: Be bold. Experiment and learn from both successes and failures.
- Make a Difference: Yes, we can. Own our responsibilities and our ability to make positive change.
- Contribute to One Team: We’re in this together. Our success is a collective effort.
- Show Courage: Be thoughtful but act on your convictions. Be open to feedback.
How To Apply
Please upload a cover letter, resume, and list of three references (candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to references) by 5:00 pm PT on Friday, July 15, 2022. The link to apply is on our website and below.
Resume review begins immediately. Those selected for advancement may be asked to participate in several rounds of interviews (virtual and/or in-person) and complete a writing assignment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in our application process, please let us know.
The California Wellness Foundation is partnering with Walker and Associates Consulting – a Black- and woman-owned strategic management consulting and search firm located in Oakland – for this search. Questions or Nominations? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The California Wellness Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. Additionally, we are a fair chance employer and welcome candidates with living experience with the criminal justice system.
The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed and is not intended to limit the scope of potential work assignments. This is only a summary of the typical functions of the job and duties may differ from those as outlined above.