The Organization – Planned Parenthood of Southern New England
Care. No Matter What.
We are Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, one of the region’s largest and most trusted providers of reproductive health care. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide, the outstanding sexual health education we deliver, and our strong commitment to social justice. Working for Planned Parenthood is more than a job; it’s being a part of a powerful movement. Together, we’ll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health and reproductive rights for all people.
What you’ll be doing:
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will be an inspiring leader, exceptional mentor, significant fundraiser and relationship-driven strategist with an entrepreneurial mindset and proven experience. The CDO will have a deep commitment to sexual and reproductive health and rights and will represent PPSNE individually and professionally to help shape the future of sexual health and reproductive rights for all people. The CDO will lead a dynamic team responsible for all PPSNE fundraising activities in Connecticut and Rhode Island. The CDO will report directly to the President/Chief Executive Officer, working directly with the CEO to support and grow PPSNE’s fundraising program. The CDO is a member of the Executive Leadership Team of PPSNE and a key partner to the CEO.
The successful CDO will be an innovative leader with a history of creating and maintaining great relationships and working across functions successfully. The CDO will advance all aspects of operations and strategies as they relate to fundraising and will partner directly with the Executive Leadership team in working towards advancing philanthropic support for our mission and driving deeper engagement with all PPSNE constituents. PPSNE has a number of key development priorities including:
· Doubling our development program over the next five – ten years by stewarding relationships, building upon successful models with proven success and growth potential, while also implementing new opportunities to connect donors to PPSNE and inspiring higher levels of giving.
· Planning, directing, and executing an 8-figure capital campaign in addition to expanding the annual development program.
· Identifying and implementing strategies to inspire support and engagement from people representative of the communities we serve.
This is an incredible opportunity for an experienced, motivating fundraising leader with a sound understanding of how to run a complete fundraising effort in today’s challenging market, who can build strong relationships, and is ready to inspire a passion for philanthropy in others.
- Leads the development of an agency-wide strategic vision and action plan for fund development (both annual and special campaigns) that includes engagement of all of our constituents and deepens the culture of philanthropy throughout PPSNE by maximizing opportunities for fund development and philanthropic engagement at all levels
- Works in close collaboration with the President and CEO to ensure successful delivery on fundraising goals and objectives, managing and supporting the CEO’s relationship with the 50-60 donors in the CEO’s portfolio along with directly managing a portfolio of an additional ~25 significant philanthropists/donors and up to 50 key volunteers and staff
- Is a member of the Executive Leadership team, providing organization-wide leadership to advance our work and meet our strategic and operational goals
- Supports the PPSNE Board of Directors and the boards of directors of Planned Parenthood Votes! Connecticut and Planned Parenthood Votes! Rhode Island to develop board engagement in philanthropy, their role in fund development strategies, building relationships, and ensuring successful achievement of philanthropy goals
- Develops, manages, and mentors the development team (currently 9 staff) to ensure a dynamic and growing donor stewardship program and effective delivery of all development functions
- Promotes active collaboration amongst all teams across PPSNE, including strengthening the alignment of goals and roles, fostering open communication, and deepening a culture of accountability
- Collaborates with leaders at PPFA in managing and cultivating shared donor relationships and federation-wide fundraising efforts, including active participation as a development executive in the Collaborative Fundraising Program, providing timely and accurate reports to PPFA and other agencies, and represents PPSNE at meetings, PPFA conferences, the PPFA DOC (Development Officers’ Council) affinity group, community events, conferences, and fundraising events, as appropriate
- Plays an active role in: Planning annually the budget, staffing, capacity, and resource needs to meet the development objectives PPSNE sets forth, Developing funding sources and cultivating and maintaining donor relations for PPSNE, Identifying new donors and expanding donor engagement across communities in our geography, Driving fund development activities with the goal of significantly increasing fundraising revenue for not only PPSNE, but also for the C4 organizations, Planned Parenthood Votes! Connecticut and Planned Parenthood Votes! Rhode Island and PACs, PPVotes!CT – PAC and PPVotes!RI – PAC and Overseeing and attending special events including the Spring Luncheon in Fairfield County, CT, the Champions event in Providence, RI, and several additional annual events to support both the C3 and the C4s
- Leads with an understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society and its impact on health, health care systems, and institutions, and consistently integrates a deep understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class, and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects
- Assumes responsibility within the role to foster a culture of equity, belonging, and accountability
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing
- A passionate commitment to the mission, vision, and values of PPSNE
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and the intersection with health, philanthropy, and social justice
- Proven success securing significant philanthropic investments, managing a high performing development team, and leading an 8 figure plus capital campaign
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in non-profit fundraising, with proven ability to cultivate, solicit, and close six-figure gifts from individuals, familiarity with all aspects of fund development, and a minimum of three years’ experience in team management
- Ability to inspire, develop, and mentor the Development team
- An entrepreneurial self-starter willing to roll up their sleeves to execute projects and programs
- Outstanding cross-cultural communications skills, in writing, one-on-one meetings, and large presentations
- Experience working with donors in Connecticut and Rhode Island preferred
- Experience working closely with executive staff and volunteer leadership to engage and expand philanthropic support and culture
- Experience implementing innovative initiatives within a complex, matrixed organization
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high energy, dynamic environment
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced professional development training, such as the CFRE preferred; advanced degree or equivalent work experience preferred
- Collaborative, values-driven leader
- Relationship focused connector
- Strategic thinker with an analytic bent
- Orientation toward outcomes and impact
- Strong team-building skills
- Entrepreneurial nature
- Attention to the details and follow-through
- Culturally responsive
$129,566 – $215,944 a year
Salary Range; Min $129,566 Mid $172,755 Max $215,944 and is based on full years of experience.
Due to our commitment to equity and fairness PPSNE does not negotiate salaries
PPSNE is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace that values diversity and inclusion and reflects the diversity of our communities and patients. We strongly encourage people of color and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.
PPSNE offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes; Health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings, paid parental leave, tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, a flexible spending account, wellness program and more.
How To Apply